Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 11:27 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,667,901 times

Advertisements

As you said, find the job first, and then try to find a realtor that focuses on that part of the city. Houston and its suburbs are huge. I can't imagine any good realtor focusing on the whole city. So if you end up in the Woodlands, find a realtor who specializes in that area, for example. Come back here and ask for recs, or ask people at your husband's new job for recs for a realtor and go from there. For what it is worth, when we moved to Houston, we moved here from Ohio in July (July 4th to be exact!) and we just learned to deal with the heat. Now, it is the cold that really bothers us. You truly just get used to the summers.

Good luck in your search!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2013, 11:28 AM

97 posts, read 145,947 times
Where in Ohio? We're in Louisville!

Thanks! We're trying to do as much research and prep before our vacation out there and eventual move.

Old 02-24-2013, 11:30 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,667,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget_Brain View Post
Where in Ohio? We're in Louisville!

Thanks! We're trying to do as much research and prep before our vacation out there and eventual move.
Columbus.... We moved almost 9 yrs ago.

Old 02-24-2013, 11:33 AM

I have a really good friend in Columbus. We talk just about daily how different the weather has been this winter. She'll get 6 inches of snow and we'll get some slushy rain.

Old 02-24-2013, 12:12 PM

1,743 posts, read 3,827,232 times
As many have said and implied. Find the JOB FIRST, then look for a realtor. A realtor will make 50% of the first months rent. So keep that in mind. Now some realtors will look at that as an investment so that when you do eventually buy, you will use them again. But I'm sure the realtor would appreciate that you narrow the area down, otherwise their half of one months rent will be used up in gas by being your tour guide.

Old 02-24-2013, 12:29 PM

Oh, I didn't realize I should get a job first. Thanks!

Old 02-24-2013, 12:30 PM

194 posts, read 525,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glossa View Post
Yes, but it bothers US. You "sitting in your car" adds to OUR already horrible traffic and makes OUR commute even worse. PLEASE find a job first, then work near your job.
Who cares? One person isn't going to make a difference. I'm used to sitting on I-10 listening to sub-par talk radio. I commute 45 minutes - 1 hour to get to work. That's how this city operates. If YOU don't like it, then YOU move out. If she moves here, she has as much of a right to live where she wants, regardless of where her place of employment is.

Old 02-24-2013, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBubble View Post
Who cares? One person isn't going to make a difference. I'm used to sitting on I-10 listening to sub-par talk radio. I commute 45 minutes - 1 hour to get to work. That's how this city operates. If YOU don't like it, then YOU move out. If she moves here, she has as much of a right to live where she wants, regardless of where her place of employment is.
Not to mention..what the heck are people to do when one person works at one end of town and the other works in the complete opposite? CLEARLY, it's not idea. But you do what you gotta do to make a living.

Old 02-24-2013, 12:47 PM

418 posts, read 743,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBubble View Post
Sure, ONE person isn't going to make a difference. Do you think she's the ONLY person moving here??! Geeze.

Old 02-24-2013, 01:09 PM

24,038 posts, read 15,144,070 times
I have seen an easy 25 minute commute morph into an hour and a 1/2 in 3 years.

Everybody started singing Happy Days Are Here Again when Exxon finally told the world of their plans. Grand Parkway not withstanding, can you imagine the nightmare traffic with 6-8 thousand people going to that one spot?

Get the job location and then get a house close to work, for at least one of you.

You are not marrying the real estate agent. For a rental no relationship is required. Do they return your call is all ya need. You can do that in one day. The employer may have relo folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston