Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2009, 04:15 AM

272 posts, read 640,065 times

Advertisements

So, I have a few questions for realtors or anyone else living in The Woodlands that has experience renting. I will most likely moving there within the year, I have read on deed restrictions that they do not allow more than 2 dogs outside. That's not a problem, as my dogs are primarily indoor dogs and only go outside to potty, but I have 7 chihuahuas and 2 declawed cats. I am currently renting in another city and have great rental history and should be able to use them as a reference (they are aware of how many pets I have).
If I were to pay a pet deposit per animal, do you think it would be a problem finding a house to rent? Keep in mind these are chihuahuas and are small dogs. I have seen on every house listed "pets on a case by case basis" Second question, how important is credit?. I have decent credit but I filed bankruptcy 3 years ago and have since restablished good payment history, etc since then. So are they looking at score or just pay on time?
I have heard that your income must be 3x the amount of rent which won't be a problem. Thanks again for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2009, 11:43 AM

637 posts, read 3,236,607 times
You are going to have a hard time finding anyone willing to take that many animals for any amount of deposit... Homes that are managed by property managment companies will not want to deal with the hassle of deed violations, damaged property etc for that many pets, and they will certainly be looking at your scores as a determining factor in the application process.

You are more than likely going to have to find an older property that is "for lease by owner" that has also been sitting a while. . You've heard of the saying "people are as honest as they can afford to be"? The same applies here; the more desperate people are the lower the standards become...

Old 04-18-2009, 03:23 PM

Thanks for the advice. I would prefer to be honest, but I think I'll have to stick with the saying" what they don't know, won't hurt them.."

Old 04-18-2009, 08:52 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,831,829 times
9 pets? Most leases have stiff penalties for unauthorized pets, and the landlord will ultimately find out about it. Don't kid yourself.

In the Woodlands proper you may have more problems as it is highly restricted and if the dogs disturb just one of your neighbors, that will be all it takes to wreck your situation.

I am not 100% sure on this, but I think some parts of Oak Ridge North next door are not restricted, they certainly are not as highly restricted. I think some parts of it let the restrictions lapse and that is why the homes facing the freeway were commercialized. I think some parts kept their restrictions and some didn't. In any event, the homes are on larger lots and you might do better trying to find something there instead, just a thought.

Old 04-18-2009, 11:26 PM

637 posts, read 3,236,607 times
Have to agree with modster on this...There is a clause in the Texas residential lease that has a penalty for any un-authorized pets on the property. The pet fines can vary but we charged $250 per violation and $10 for every day there-after that the problem wasn't remedied. Actually it can be a lot worse; you can be evicted for violating the lease, and not only end up losing your security deposit, but having a judgement against you as well.

I would simply find an older home that's for lease by owner thats in a different neighborhood than the Woodlands, especially if it's been sitting for a while; tell them the truth, unless of course you just like to gamble. Texas landlord/tenant laws and the Texas property code favor heavily for owners/landlords unlike CA, NY, etc where they favor tenants.

Old 04-19-2009, 12:04 AM

4,246 posts, read 12,024,391 times
I really feel bad for you and anyone that stays with you. 7 taco bell dogs that bark at a pen dropping across the street is enough to make anyone go insane. Hell just 1 of them is bad enough. Might be tough but get rid of 5 or 6 of them.

Old 04-19-2009, 09:16 AM

Yes, Texas is definitely a pro-landlord state and the lease may even have provisions for the landlord to have the pets removed. Depends on your lease.

The reality is what it is, and that reality is you can't have 9 pets and rent a house. I'm not trying to be mean, it just is what it is.

Old 04-19-2009, 03:19 PM

Perhaps, I'll just buy a house. I believe that animals are NOT disposable and replaceable
daniel- you assume my dogs are not trained, they are. I pity you for being so narrow minded and basing your information on a stereotype.

Old 04-19-2009, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viny80 View Post
.... I believe that animals are NOT disposable and replaceable
I tend to lean towards that being your only realistic solution, and even then probably not in the Woodlands proper due to deed restrictions limiting the number of pets. Might not be a problem, but if it was, the last thing you want to do is even risk putting yourself in a situation where you might be faced with that kind of drama where your pets are concerned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston