Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2014, 09:53 AM

764 posts, read 1,432,154 times

Advertisements

I will probably be looking to sell my house next year (2015) after I finish school at LSC Tomball. I'd like to move to a different area when I graduate. My house is located literally on top of Hwy 290 - as in the feeder is on the other side of the sound wall in my back yard. Right now I'm listening to the occasional bang and boom from the construction going on behind my house.

Houses in my neighborhood sometimes stay on the market for quite some time, other times, they're snatched up within a couple of weeks of when I see the "For Sale" sign go up. Everything one would need is located within a 2 or 3 mile radius and it truly does offer easy access to 290. It's just that if you're outside, you get the traffic noise at all hours of the day and night plus the car fumes.

My question is how difficult is it to sell a house that backs up to a major freeway? (Who in the world builds a neighborhood next to a freeway?!) Is that a true negative or just a negative in my mind?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 12:36 PM

469 posts, read 792,062 times
It only takes 1 buyer. There is a home for everyone. You will probably take a hit on price due to the fact it does back up to the highway.. but the good news is prices are up & inventory is down so you should still be ok.

Old 01-07-2014, 01:59 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,914,681 times
Since you have the sound wall, your home was possibly built before the freeway was put in. They are only typically installed where the freeway cuts into or runs right by an existing neighborhood. I think the neighborhood by the Cypress-Rosehill Walmart is the only one that installed the walls when it was built out. 30 years ago, Hwy 290 only went out to about 43rd street and there was only the feeder roads and blacktop roads along there further out to Cypress. As they built 290 out, they put in all the sound walls. Heck, I remember running my Mustang along the new Hwy 290 and 1960 when there was not any traffic.

Old 01-08-2014, 08:18 AM

764 posts, read 1,432,154 times
The house was built in 1981. LOL I can't imagine Hwy 290 and 1960 not having any traffic!
My mom and stepfather bought the house around 1989 I think and it was a rental for a while, then they moved in and did some repairs and fixed it up, then I was gifted with it. Ever since then, my mom has been telling me to sell it and move away from the freeway (she never liked the house). It really is a nice house, just the location backing up to the freeway isn't great. I wish I could pick it up and move it to a couple of acres around Tomball/Pinehurst/Magnolia.

Thanks all! It gives me hope
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: