Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 10:43 AM

97 posts, read 145,961 times

Advertisements

Our budget for rent (based on income of course) is projected to be about $1500. Then a buying budget would be anywhere between 3-400k. But that's at least 2 years away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2013, 11:07 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,668,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget_Brain View Post
Our budget for rent (based on income of course) is projected to be about $1500. Then a buying budget would be anywhere between 3-400k. But that's at least 2 years away.
You will be fine with that kind of budget.

Small world on the Columbus thing!

Old 02-25-2013, 01:26 PM

58 posts, read 94,599 times
Hi Glossa,

I didn't mean right in the corridor. I meant near (meaning closer than driving out to west Katy where a lot of people are relocating.) There are a whole bunch of new subdivisions going in north of I-10 that would be closer to BP, Conoco, and some of the other gas and oil companies working close to I-10. There's Castle Rock Village, Morton Ranch and some others in that general area. It takes me sometimes 1 hr. to 1-1/2 hrs. to get from Westpark Tollway and 99 and to my work close to I-10 and Sam Houston during rush hour. So, the houses I'm recommending would be an easier drive. I don't think any place is perfect, but at least this would be a little better.

http://www.newhomesource.com/communi...stalcode-77449

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glossa View Post
This might be a little misleading to those who don't know the area. I'd like to see an example of a $130,000 new home in the Energy Corridor area, please.

Last edited by LoraMao; 02-25-2013 at 01:55 PM..

Old 02-26-2013, 04:23 AM

286 posts, read 555,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
I have seen an easy 25 minute commute morph into an hour and a 1/2 in 3 years.
Where is this? I've never seen any such thing, and freeway/tollway development mostly halted after the 2008. It'll pick up again once the economy recovers, if that ever happens.

Old 02-26-2013, 05:09 AM

24,038 posts, read 15,147,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaqueCosto View Post
Where is this? I've never seen any such thing, and freeway/tollway development mostly halted after the 2008. It'll pick up again once the economy recovers, if that ever happens.
Back in the first boom. DH's car pool could get to work from our subdivision near I 45 and 1960 door to door in 25 minutes. Three years later it took an hour and 1/2. I worked at a nursery that was in the deep woods just north of the airport. I took the summer off. Upon returning, there were hundreds of occupied houses that had been built. People were pouring in from all over the place.

The Houston area has a habit of putting in giant subdivisions and letting the feeder roads come later. We moved to Maplewood. They already had feeder roads connected to downtown.

Believe what you will. I lived it. It stopped when the bottom fell out of the oil business.

Old 02-26-2013, 08:51 AM

418 posts, read 743,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaqueCosto View Post
Believe it. My commute is now 1-1/2 hours home most days (downtown to 77079 via park & ride). Thanks, new residents!

Old 02-26-2013, 10:02 AM

You REALLY need to take that bitter pill outta your butt. People come, people leave. If you don't like the way your city is headed and it's making you this unhappy, maybe you should consider leaving. I hear Montana still has some empty cities.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:05 AM

418 posts, read 743,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget_Brain View Post
You REALLY need to take that bitter pill outta your butt. People come, people leave. If you don't like the way your city is headed and it's making you this unhappy, maybe you should consider leaving. I hear Montana still has some empty cities.
If THIS is your hateful attitude, please do not move here! I've lived here all my life, and my parents and grandparents have lived here all of their lives. I have a right to express my thoughts on MY city!

Old 02-26-2013, 10:11 AM

Look, I've been nothing but inquisitive here and you've been nothing but combative. I got sick of it. But you really do need to calm down. I'm pretty sure you don't own the city and you have no right to be telling people what they should and shouldn't do in regards to moving to 'your' city and how they choose to commute.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:12 AM

3,160 posts, read 4,372,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glossa View Post
If THIS is your hateful attitude, please do not move here! I've lived here all my life, and my parents and grandparents have lived here all of their lives. I have a right to express my thoughts on MY city!

This was nice place to live until the economy in the other states went to pot and all the "know it all yankees" moved here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston