Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 12:05 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,624,283 times

Advertisements

But jek I think the attitude from the transplants is felt mostly in the inner city. I also think that some live in the more affluent areas of Houston and are glad to be in a much more conservative state than in CA or NY. I know of one guy especially from Conneticut, a real blue blood, who just fell in love with Texas. I mean just head over heels and never wants to leave the State. He acts "Texan" with the swagger and everything.

But I was mainly referring to the suburban natives who act this way as a reaction to the cosmopolitan change in the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 12:12 PM

1,475 posts, read 2,770,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
But jek I think the attitude from the transplants is felt mostly in the inner city. I also think that some live in the more affluent areas of Houston and are glad to be in a much more conservative state than in CA or NY. I know of one guy especially from Conneticut, a real blue blood, who just fell in love with Texas. I mean just head over heels and never wants to leave the State. He acts "Texan" with the swagger and everything.

But I was mainly referring to the suburban natives who act this way as a reaction to the cosmopolitan change in the city.

Obviously we cannot generalize all people. But for the record, a lot of these east and west coasters are moving in to the Woodlands and Sugarland and other affluent suburbs as well. Especially if they have families. I in particular have more experience with the Woodlands since I spend a lot of time there and on our block there we have a Mexican diplomat across the street, a middle eastern couple to our right, two couples from Chicago across the street and to our left and two houses down a nice couple (husband is Japanese and wife is from England). To be honest with you, it's more diverse then the block I live on in Chicago. Now if by suburbs you are referring to way way way out in the stix in the middle of no where, then maybe you are right. But Houston is surrounded by these large master planned communities that are very very diverse and packed with out of staters.

Old 11-30-2012, 12:12 PM

1,822 posts, read 2,000,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiatoChina View Post
You don't even live Houston. You live Chicago so how do you have any real perspective?
Awesome point. The truth comes out No one should talk like they know Houston when they've never even lived there.

As I indicated, I lived there for decades (including this year). It's interesting checking in to this site from time to time. I mostly try to inject some reality checks to those who believe the hype and want to move there. It usually goes nowhere, and that's humorous as well

Last edited by Sunderpig2; 11-30-2012 at 12:20 PM..

Old 11-30-2012, 12:17 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,767,122 times
The next time I visit Houston, it probably would have changed a little.

Old 11-30-2012, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jek74 View Post
Obviously we cannot generalize all people. But for the record, a lot of these east and west coasters are moving in to the Woodlands and Sugarland and other affluent suburbs as well. Especially if they have families. I in particular have more experience with the Woodlands since I spend a lot of time there and on our block there we have a Mexican diplomat across the street, a middle eastern couple to our right, two couples from Chicago across the street and to our left and two houses down a nice couple (husband is Japanese and wife is from England). To be honest with you, it's more diverse then the block I live on in Chicago. Now if by suburbs you are referring to way way way out in the stix in the middle of no where, then maybe you are right. But Houston is surrounded by these large master planned communities that are very very diverse and packed with out of staters.
I especially exclude Sugarland and the Woodlands. They still seem to be connected to the growth of the city.

I am mostly talking about Katy, Old Katy, Fulshear, Richmond, Sealy, Spring. Very traditional places. The bastions of "white flight". Then there is Memorial too, while in town, it's still a largely conservative area.

Old 11-30-2012, 12:36 PM

I also want to know about this double standard while we're discussing the changes in Southern culture.

Why is it ok for a conservative guy to alway chime in about how he couldn't live in LA or a major city cus it's so crowded, and he needs his space, he loves the country, yada yada but if someone were to mention that they couldn't do the country life is pretty rude?

At almost every family reunion or party, when I mention I live in LA, there is always at least one family memeber, friend or aquaintence or plus one that chimes in about LA, just has an opinion of it and it's usually a disparaging one disguised as "polite" chit chat.

But I mentioned that I couldn't do the family life out in the burbs just yet, get married young and start having kids, it's like I took a big wiz on the living room carpet!

I mean there is almost this humble arrogance surrounding the burb/country family life that you're seen as weird if you want something more?

Old 11-30-2012, 12:53 PM

1,822 posts, read 2,000,241 times
Quote:
I am mostly talking about Katy, Old Katy, Fulshear, Richmond, Sealy, Spring. The bastions of "white flight"
Just to be clear, "white flight" has been going on for a long time in Houston, and maps and demographic data clearly back that up. First, it was moving out of downtown (and the core area) to other areas "inside the loop" (before there was ever a 610 loop, and I remember those days). Then, the higher paid folks started moving out beyond the loop. Of course there then became the Beltway and moving beyond it, and the Grand Parkway and moving beyond it. Then trend has continued ever since, with the only big reversal being those folks who returned to downtown (i.e the lofts, etc. after the cleanup). It's a runaway problem though, with sprawl being the ultimate course. People will be eventually be driving 3 or 4+ hours to go between their job and home. They'll probably continue to justify it as making sense somehow. "Hey, I get to spend more time in my vehicle!"

Also, many places that were once esteemed destinations for "white-flight" are now are home to a completely different demographic (poorer, less educated, etc.) So eventually the original residents left for their next white-flight destination. Sharpstown is a classic example. Even Memorial and The Woodlands are changing in a similar way. It's just the way it is. It will happen to more towns and suburbs around Houston as time goes by.

Sprawl and white flight may make sense to some, but there are big problems at the roots. I never saw any concern for that. Folks seem too busy to think about it (the rat race doesn't help), and it's too inconvenient to think about.

Last edited by Sunderpig2; 11-30-2012 at 01:30 PM..

Old 11-30-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
I also want to know about this double standard while we're discussing the changes in Southern culture.

Why is it ok for a conservative guy to alway chime in about how he couldn't live in LA or a major city cus it's so crowded, and he needs his space, he loves the country, yada yada but if someone were to mention that they couldn't do the country life is pretty rude?

At almost every family reunion or party, when I mention I live in LA, there is always at least one family memeber, friend or aquaintence or plus one that chimes in about LA, just has an opinion of it and it's usually a disparaging one disguised as "polite" chit chat.

But I mentioned that I couldn't do the family life out in the burbs just yet, get married young and start having kids, it's like I took a big wiz on the living room carpet!

I mean there is almost this humble arrogance surrounding the burb/country family life that you're seen as weird if you want something more?
That's true of anywhere. When I moved from NY to Chicago I heard from all the "I could never live in NY crowd". When I lived in NY I heard from the "I'll never leave NY ever crowd because every place else sucks". You see that here on this forum from the "I could never live in Dallas" crowd and I'm sure in Dallas the "I could never live in Houston" crowd. We can throw colleges in there or east coast vs west coast or city living vs mountain living, etc. People talk, what do you want them to do? Not everyone can carry a conversation about the dangers of expansionary monetary policy and the undesired effects on wealth and currency value in a fiat world.

Old 11-30-2012, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jek74 View Post
That's true of anywhere. When I moved from NY to Chicago I heard from all the "I could never live in NY crowd". When I lived in NY I heard from the "I'll never leave NY ever crowd because every place else sucks". You see that here on this forum from the "I could never live in Dallas" crowd and I'm sure in Dallas the "I could never live in Houston" crowd. We can throw colleges in there or east coast vs west coast or city living vs mountain living, etc. People talk, what do you want them to do? Not everyone can carry a conversation about the dangers of expansionary monetary policy and the undesired effects on wealth and currency value in a fiat world.
Well I was specifically talking about country vs city life. I mean if two different city folk don't like each others cities that's understandable, but there is almost a deeper thing going on when a guy from the South or small town Texas or even suburban Texas has to throw in a comment about LA or NY or even inner loop Houston, you just want to roll your eyes. Sometimes I think it has to do with justifying their choice of marrying young, having kids, and settling down, IDK.

I mean it becomes a sense of values vs values. The typical culture war stuff.

Old 11-30-2012, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Well I was specifically talking about country vs city life. I mean if two different city folk don't like each others cities that's understandable, but there is almost a deeper thing going on when a guy from the South or small town Texas or even suburban Texas has to throw in a comment about LA or NY or even inner loop Houston, you just want to roll your eyes. Sometimes I think it has to do with justifying their choice of marrying young, having kids, and settling down, IDK.

I mean it becomes a sense of values vs values. The typical culture war stuff.

No, no, no. You are projecting. It's the same difference. People always value the choices "they" make. We have equity in the decisions we make in life. I "chose" to go to UF over FSU for college. The debate on which school is better is loud and boisterous. It's no different from any other decision you make in your life. If you are not a Texans season ticket holder and fan of the team, you might care less if they go to the Superbowl. But talk to a guy who has never missed a game in his life and attends every game and you will find yourself a very passionate defender of that team. You can use city vs country or any of a 1000 other examples. It's just that "you" have more equity in that conversation vs the Houston vs Dallas debate. We have a saying in finance called "talking your book". It means you take a position and put money behind it and then try to sell your position to anyone who will listen to get them to buy. For example if I just bought a house in the Woodlands and I start vehemently defending what a great area the Woodlands is and how property prices can only go higher. I'm "talking my book". People talk to their books all the time when it comes to politics, religion, where they live, etc. It's normal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston