Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 11:02 AM

2,720 posts, read 5,637,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jek74 View Post
What a load of crap. Apparently you didn't live in the south when we had Jim Crow laws. Or perhaps you don't remember when a young black girl couldn't attend a white school. Rosa Parks ring a bell? Good lord, they use to burn churches down! Let me remind you Houston has a democratic lesbian mayor!

You want to see narrow mindedness come to Chicago where every single Alderman, yes 100% of them are democrats. Where the entire city council are democrats! We call it the democratic machine up here. There is one way to do things here. You do not question power...ever! Houston is a utopia compared to how things are run in the north. You guys have absolutely no perspective. None at all. And that is sad really. Because change can only happen when you know what you have to change. The one thing I do like about TX politics is that it's a red state with pretty liberal cities. That creates a nice balance between Austin at the state level and the left leaning cities. No such balance exists in the north. You get democratic governors, blue state voters, democratic mayors and democratic city councils. No checks and balances.
I don't think he was referring to the Jim Crow days, at least I sure wasn't, jek.

The point is that there is a new southern attitude and it's less hospitable, more in your face and it has a lot to do with pride. It's a very conservative attitude that;s coupled with this notion that they're going against the grain or rebelling against the liberal establishment. They're proud to be christian, conservative and country and they don't care who knows it (even thought no one asked them) and if you don't like it well then you can kiss my grits.

I don't know if the southern white population feels threatned by the change happening around them but they certainly feel like they're fighting back against something and they do it culturally.

This is all spurious per se as you see it more reflected in subtle instances. I do not think Texans are full blown jerks. A lot are nice people with great values, but it's just the notion of politics and religion being off the table when chatting are over.

Texas is just the South's answer to New York. It's got a cocky swagger.

Also, I do think the imbalance creates a huge disconnect between the outer areas and the city though. I mean almost worlds apart. I could go from Downtown LA to Pasadena or even Burbank and still feel connected to Los Angeles. Try doing that from Downtown Houston or even the Galleria area and going to Sealy. Then again some towns like Sugarland are great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 11:12 AM

1,822 posts, read 2,009,984 times
Quote:
What a load of crap. Apparently you didn't live in the south when we had Jim Crow laws.
LOL! What a hilarious and "all over the map" post! I'm not going to waste time responding to rubbish, but I will ask you: Did you live in the south with the Jim Crow laws?

Jeez, I lived in Texas for over 40 years. The last ones were the worst ever. Celebrate the place and all that it represents if you want to. You have no point to make with me. I know exactly what it's like there.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:15 AM

1,475 posts, read 2,776,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
I don't think he was referring to the Jim Crow days, at least I sure wasn't, jek.

The point is that there is a new southern attitude and it's less hospitable, more in your face and it has a lot to do with pride. It's a very conservative attitude that;s coupled with this notion that they're going against the grain or rebelling against the liberal establishment. They're proud to be christian, conservative and country and they don't care who knows it (even thought no one asked them) and if you don't like it well then you can kiss my grits.

I don't know if the southern white population feels threatned by the change happening around them but they certainly feel like they're fighting back against something and they do it culturally.

This is all spurious per se as you see it more reflected in subtle instances. I do not think Texans are full blown jerks. A lot are nice people with great values, but it's just the notion of politics and religion being off the table when chatting are over.

Texas is just the South's answer to New York. It's got a cocky swagger.

Also, I do think the imbalance creates a huge disconnect between the outer areas and the city though. I mean almost worlds apart. I could go from Downtown LA to Pasadena or even Burbank and still feel connected to Los Angeles. Try doing that from Downtown Houston or even the Galleria area and going to Sealy. Then again some towns like Sugarland are great.
To be clear, those jerks and that attitude you are referring to is coming from all the New Yorkers and Cali people moving here. Look, this is what happens. You get some sophisticated elite from the east coast or west coast and they come to TX and see people are friendly, slow moving, down to earth and "go to church" and that pisses them off. These out of towners feel the need to "change" the place into where ever it was they came from. It's a lot like what the US does to the rest of the world. It's why we keep trying to instill democracy in the middle east and open walmarts and mcdonalds in Saudi Arabia. We want the rest of the world to be like us. Well, we do that on a local level as well. Usually the side with the most money and power is the instigator. In this case, those new yorkers and Cali people who just sold their million dollar 50 year old ranch houses now come to TX and in TX currency they are billionaires. And they are sure going to let the locals know it. So yes, there is tension. But no, it does not come from the southern man who feels threatened. LOL.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunderpig View Post
LOL! What a hilarious and "all over the map" post! I'm not going to waste time responding to rubbish, but I will ask you: Did you live in the south with the Jim Crow laws?

Jeez, I lived in Texas for over 40 years. The last ones were the worst ever. Celebrate the place and all that it represents if you want to. You have no point to make with me. I know exactly what it's like there.
Then get in your truck and move. My God, what is it with you haters that absolutely refuse to leave a place you hate so much. Do you just not have the stones to take a risk in life? Are you really that scared? Come on, man up. Grow a pair and get yourself and map and pick a direction and start driving. You are exactly the type of person that makes others think southerns are rude. If you are waiting for a subsidy to move, I'll see what I can do.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Then get in your truck and move. My God, what is it with you haters that absolutely refuse to leave a place you hate so much. Do you just not have the stones to take a risk in life? Are you really that scared? Come on, man up. Grow a pair and get yourself and map and pick a direction and start driving. You are exactly the type of person that makes others think southerns are rude. If you are waiting for a subsidy to move, I'll see what I can do.
You obviously can't or don't want to read. I clearly said "lived in Texas" (that means past tense). Grab a dictionary if you don't know the word. I thank God everyday that I left that place! It stunk like cowchips being surrounded by that mentality (so perfectly expressed by you), but now it's funny as hell to see from a distance Texans may think they're big stuff, but the jokes on them.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:31 AM

Quote:
You obviously can't or don't want to read. I clearly said "lived in Texas" (that means past tense). Grab a dictionary if you don't know the word. I thank God everyday that I left that place! It stunk like cowchips being surrounded by that mentality (so perfectly expressed by you), but now it's funny as hell to see from a distance Texans may think they're big stuff, but the jokes on them.

You left here, you hated it here, you still hate it yet you spend your time chatting on the Houston city board? Whichever city picked you up sure got themselves a real prize. You're a special one.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:33 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,169,089 times
Quote:
But yet you're still on the Houston forum trolling.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:40 AM

I had to get in some laughs today, and getting some reminders of what it's like there did the trick. The last posts are perfect! Just like with robots or puppets, the comments are almost always pure emotion and programmed responses; no thinking required. Yep, nothing's changed there

Old 11-30-2012, 11:48 AM

492 posts, read 792,801 times
Quote:
To be clear, those jerks and that attitude you are referring to is coming from all the New Yorkers and Cali people moving here. Look, this is what happens. You get some sophisticated elite from the east coast or west coast and they come to TX and see people are friendly, slow moving, down to earth and "go to church" and that pisses them off. These out of towners feel the need to "change" the place into where ever it was they came from. It's a lot like what the US does to the rest of the world. It's why we keep trying to instill democracy in the middle east and open walmarts and mcdonalds in Saudi Arabia. We want the rest of the world to be like us. Well, we do that on a local level as well. Usually the side with the most money and power is the instigator. In this case, those new yorkers and Cali people who just sold their million dollar 50 year old ranch houses now come to TX and in TX currency they are billionaires. And they are sure going to let the locals know it. So yes, there is tension. But no, it does not come from the southern man who feels threatened. LOL.

You don't even live Houston. You live Chicago so how do you have any real perspective?

Old 11-30-2012, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiatoChina View Post
You don't even live Houston. You live Chicago so how do you have any real perspective?
My mother moved to Houston in 2007 and I go down three times a year to see her. I'm also in the process of moving there. I also have several friends that have lived in Houston for over a decade as well as several friends in Chicago who grew up in Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston