Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 01:27 PM

1,475 posts, read 2,784,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
50k is enough to afford a decent apartment in a section called North Hollywood which is half nice and half ghetto, and I live somewhere in between the two. I am living well here because I lack a car payment or student loans but a lot of people saddled with debt and the high cost of living are just barely scraping by.

I just keep seeing a lot of my friends back home living it up off of less than that. Single life, 45k, sharing a luxury apartment in midtown with a roommate, nice cars, etc. I mean the single 30k millionaire life that exists in Texas cities.

I thought it was stupid until I kept reading about how Houston has grown and is rapidly reaching world class status with it's endless development. Honestly I never thought Houston even get an H&M (which is status symbol for most world class cities LOL) but you guys already opened up three!
It's funny, I've been discussing this for weeks on here. I love the term 30k millionaire life. LOL. We have "some" people on here telling us how exciting it is to live in NY, SF and LA despite the high cost of living and that Houston is the most boring place in the world no matter how cheap it is. It's been an interesting debate that's for sure. I went though something very similar many years back. I lived in NY like a bum and my friends back in boring old St. Louis were getting married, buying huge houses, driving nice cars on 40k a year. I was making 6 figures and lived like an illegal immigrant in exciting NY! I couldn't figure out what I was doing. So I know what you are going through. I'm not sure I would enjoy living in LA without a car. You have to bum a ride from your friends all the time. I would leave just on that alone. LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2012, 01:38 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,663,029 times
Stuff that I missed while holed up in the outskirts of town that I am curious about:

New Dynamo Stadium, Whole Foods with the electric car pump station, the Trader Joes, the rail extending out to Montrose, three new H&M stores, a swank bar on the third floor of some building out in Highland Village, all the upscale places I keep reading about that are opening up.

I just want to know what's going on. Why all the ridiculous posts?

Old 11-29-2012, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jek74 View Post
It's funny, I've been discussing this for weeks on here. I love the term 30k millionaire life. LOL. We have "some" people on here telling us how exciting it is to live in NY, SF and LA despite the high cost of living and that Houston is the most boring place in the world no matter how cheap it is. It's been an interesting debate that's for sure. I went though something very similar many years back. I lived in NY like a bum and my friends back in boring old St. Louis were getting married, buying huge houses, driving nice cars on 40k a year. I was making 6 figures and lived like an illegal immigrant in exciting NY! I couldn't figure out what I was doing. So I know what you are going through. I'm not sure I would enjoy living in LA without a car. You have to bum a ride from your friends all the time. I would leave just on that alone. LOL.
I have a car just no car payment. The car is paid for but there are A LOT of Angelenos with no car whatsoever. There is a huge bike culture here and I don't mean Harleys, I mean Schwinns. Public transporation is sub par in LA too.

Yes, my best friend make less than I do but is able to share a luxury townhome in midtown Houston, lease (with an option to buy) a kick a$$ low end Audi, the latest clothes, go the nicest clubs and live a yuppified life that only the high end can afford in LA or NY. It's crazy!

In LA people know they're poor. There is huge difference between those who have and those who don't.

In Houston, a kid with an associates can make 35k and make it look like he's a big ballin' bachelor with the right allocations.

Old 11-29-2012, 01:46 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,374,352 times
Default Not ridiculous

Quote:
Stuff that I missed while holed up in the outskirts of town that I am curious about:

New Dynamo Stadium, Whole Foods with the electric car pump station, the Trader Joes, the rail extending out to Montrose, three new H&M stores, a swank bar on the third floor of some building out in Highland Village, all the upscale places I keep reading about that are opening up.

I've been in Houston for more than two decades, and never ventured into the Midtown/Montrose area except to go to the old Westheimer Arts Festival, back when it could actually be called a festival, where they would shutdown Westheimer, and you could tote your beer on a wagon, and free!

But I digress... I did not go into the loop either, unless seing a concert, or to go to court downtown, so I can empathize and see how some people never bother exploring the inner loop area. I only started to look at it a couple of years ago because I got tired of the commute from Katy to the Galleria area. I started looking at homes all over the area and began to really see the charm of Montrose, the old houses, wood, or brick. So much to that my wife and I purchased a home in Montrose, right next to Midtown. 'Talk about being in the center of everything, it is great. I am sure we are not the only ones who have not ventured out into new territories, yet having lived in the area for so many years.

Old 11-29-2012, 01:46 PM

1,678 posts, read 3,763,746 times
Quote:

The light rail line to Montrose/Galleria is still in the planning stages and probably won't be built for a while. The lines that are currently being built are the North Line, East End Line, and the Southeast line which goes to the University of Houston.

Anyways while there aren't any significant changes since the last time you have been here, there are tons of apartment complexes being built inside the loop, and a new Whole Foods store is being built near the Galleria as part of the BLVD Place development, not to mention some new bike paths being built as well.

Anyways there is a thread here that is dedicated to posting new info on developments taking place within the city and surrounding area.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/houst...s-houston.html

Old 11-29-2012, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
The light rail line to Montrose/Galleria is still in the planning stages and probably won't be built for a while. The lines that are currently being built are the North Line, East End Line, and the Southeast line which goes to the University of Houston.

Anyways while there aren't any significant changes since the last time you have been here, there are tons of apartment complexes being built inside the loop, and a new Whole Foods store is being built near the Galleria as part of the BLVD Place development, not to mention some new bike paths being built as well.

Anyways there is a thread here that is dedicated to posting new info on developments taking place within the city and surrounding area.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/houst...s-houston.html

Excellent! A BLVD mixed use development? Those are all over LA. I never thought I'd see one in Houston. Way to go H-town! That's going to be a killer development project.

I am glad that there is a BLVD project going on in inner loop Houston. Those "town Centres" (spelled the British English to make it sound fancier LOL) all over the burbs were getting on my nerves. No real creativity behind them just the same mid range retail shops.

The BLVD projects are pretty cool over here in LA. I wonder what's in store for the one in Houston?

I think inner loop Houston has a lot of potential to be world class.

Old 11-29-2012, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
I've been in Houston for more than two decades, and never ventured into the Midtown/Montrose area except to go to the old Westheimer Arts Festival, back when it could actually be called a festival, where they would shutdown Westheimer, and you could tote your beer on a wagon, and free!

But I digress... I did not go into the loop either, unless seing a concert, or to go to court downtown, so I can empathize and see how some people never bother exploring the inner loop area. I only started to look at it a couple of years ago because I got tired of the commute from Katy to the Galleria area. I started looking at homes all over the area and began to really see the charm of Montrose, the old houses, wood, or brick. So much to that my wife and I purchased a home in Montrose, right next to Midtown. 'Talk about being in the center of everything, it is great. I am sure we are not the only ones who have not ventured out into new territories, yet having lived in the area for so many years.
Well the main gripe I have about Houston is that there is almost a HUGE disconnect from the burbs and the rest of the city. In NY and LA, the outer areas that aren't Manhattan or West LA, are still visibily part of the city. Brooklyn and N.Hollywood/Burbank are still eclectic places that feel urban while being suburban at the same time.

I mean there is a big difference between say Katy or Spring and inner loop Houston. Inner loop Houston is a virgining world class city while the burbs are nice places but are like two different worlds almost.

I could live in Spring or old Katy for years without venturing into the city and miss out on a dynamic growing metropolis!

Old 11-29-2012, 02:16 PM

492 posts, read 797,305 times
1. There are only 2 H&Ms and they are waaaay outside the loop. A real trek unless you live out there.

2. If you have friends living like that on less then 50k they are likely overextending themselves or have credit card debt. Don't believe the hype.

Old 11-29-2012, 02:25 PM

73 posts, read 159,557 times
I live here, I work here, I raised a family here. Houston has always been awesome to me. Some people are just slow to see the forest through the trees I guess. I always made up my own opinions and thoughts. Did not need for other cities, or places or people to tell me what to think in regards to how awesome my town is. Yeah, it has been through some tough times, but I always liked the people here and liked how things got taken care of around this town. In the end Houston is still the same Houston to me. No matter how many H&M and BLVD projects we get, we will still have Rodeo's and big mega churches and BBQ, oh and Mexican Food to die for! That is what I like in a city..true DIVERSITY! H&M has a thing or two to learn about Houston, so maybe they will sell some Texas type clothes here shortly and become even more diverse in what they offer.

BTW, I happen to live in an area that is getting a Town Center. Again, I go back to diversity. I happen to LOVE the concept of the Town Center coming in near me. Local restaurant, a nice coffee spot right on the water near my house that I can ride my bike to and from. Sounds like heaven to me! But that is what diversity is all about and what makes Houston and the burbs, so special. We get to have it all! Great place to live if you ask me!

Old 11-29-2012, 02:30 PM

73 posts, read 159,557 times
Quote:
Well the main gripe I have about Houston is that there is almost a HUGE disconnect from the burbs and the rest of the city. In NY and LA, the outer areas that aren't Manhattan or West LA, are still visibily part of the city. Brooklyn and N.Hollywood/Burbank are still eclectic places that feel urban while being suburban at the same time.

I mean there is a big difference between say Katy or Spring and inner loop Houston. Inner loop Houston is a virgining world class city while the burbs are nice places but are like two different worlds almost.

I could live in Spring or old Katy for years without venturing into the city and miss out on a dynamic growing metropolis!

I don't get this idea of the Burbs versus the Inner Loop mentality. I come inside the loop from out in Cypress all the time and can enjoy what the Inner Loop has to offer. I bring family, friends and out of town guests into these locations all the time. There are some great spots out in the burbs as well that I would put up against anything the inner loop has to offer.

It is not that hard to get around this town if you know how to drive. I feel just as much a part of the dynamic growing metropolis as the next Houstonian and I happen to live out in the Burbs. That is what I love about this town, you really can have it all.

Am I missing something?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston