Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 02:41 PM

1,211 posts, read 3,557,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
Inner loop Houston is a virgining world class city while the burbs are nice places but are like two different worlds almost.
wtf does that mean?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2012, 02:41 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,622,736 times
Quote:
Stuff that I missed while holed up in the outskirts of town that I am curious about:

New Dynamo Stadium, Whole Foods with the electric car pump station, the Trader Joes, the rail extending out to Montrose, three new H&M stores, a swank bar on the third floor of some building out in Highland Village, all the upscale places I keep reading about that are opening up.

I just want to know what's going on. Why all the ridiculous posts?

Well first of all don't expect Houston to change into some LA/NYC paradise. That won't happen for obvious reasons. And that's not saying imo LA/NYC is the status quo for a utopia. Because to me paradise depends on the person more specifically then the place. With that said I've been living in Houston since 08. I use to visit Houston every now and then every since the 90's. I started visiting Houston on my own and exploring a little bit when I was in college and would get a small idea of how the city is.

I can tell you Houston of today has changed from 08 drastically. Apart of that is because all the development and the transplants mixed in with the Houston natives. It's a interesting melting pot and a air of newness in Houston right now. I'm 28 and around other people in my age category who love to go out. So you can always find me somewhere in the inner loop.

Is it still a disconnect between the burbs and the inner loop? For the most part yes. I stay in Northwest Houston and most people will tend to mix and mingle somewhere off 1960 or The Woodlands and other various places. However I love going into inner loop because the atmosphere to me just says "new, improving,fresh".

Would I compare it to LA or NYC??? Nope, but there's never a dull moment for me I can always bump into something different. Houston always has something to offer and like I stated before it's alot of the young population in Houston that are adding a certain flavor to the culture of the city. People move to Houston for opportunity and some people just add to the scene. I see Houston changing for the better.

Old 11-29-2012, 02:57 PM

489 posts, read 621,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCH99 View Post
wtf does that mean?
Ha! I did a double take at that, too. Perhaps he meant burgeoning?

Old 11-29-2012, 03:17 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,626,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAHomeschoolMom View Post
Ha! I did a double take at that, too. Perhaps he meant burgeoning?
Actually I meant verging on world class status but yes that's the idea.

Old 11-29-2012, 03:28 PM

Lots of people with families and live out in the burbs on this forum. Night and day difference from the LA forum. It's cool, though. I am not the type that is totally against burbs and family life, I see that it's strong in Houston too. That's good though and I enjoy that diversity. I have just been waiting for years for Houston to really start catering to the young urban minded professionals that just want a dynamic city with tons of stuff to do for single people, not just malls and restaurants.

I agree you can cater to both. For one LA is not that family friendly.

I just didn't want the new development to just be centered around the town centre model (it's "centre" LOL). I was hoping it would get a little more creative than that but I am glad some BLVD mixed used development will open up there.

And yes I still think there is a big disconnect from the burbs and the inner loop, midtown, downtown. I grew up in Katy, not even Old Katy, and there seemed to be a big difference between the two areas of town.

Old 11-29-2012, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiatoChina View Post
1. There are only 2 H&Ms and they are waaaay outside the loop. A real trek unless you live out there.

2. If you have friends living like that on less then 50k they are likely overextending themselves or have credit card debt. Don't believe the hype.
A single person in Houston living off less than 50k can make it. What are you talking about? Whole families live off of that in the burbs!

A single guy leasing his car, living with a roommate in a nice apartment in town off of 35-40k is not uncommon. I've known guys to rent whole bungalows in the Washington area for cheap. Of course they have their credit cards for emergencies or some night out but for the most part they make do and live a lot better than someone making the same in LA. It's not hype. It's a good allocation of funds.

The 30k millionaire still lives!

Old 11-29-2012, 04:27 PM

Do you guys think that H&M will even catch on in Houston? The style just seems way too out there for the town. I am surprised they didn't even open one up in Austin.

I just couldn't see any my friends rock the skinny jeans. I can barely stand them in LA.

Old 11-29-2012, 04:50 PM

1,475 posts, read 2,771,023 times
Quote:
Do you guys think that H&M will even catch on in Houston? The style just seems way too out there for the town. I am surprised they didn't even open one up in Austin.

I just couldn't see any my friends rock the skinny jeans. I can barely stand them in LA.
WTF. I love H&M. What's wrong with you Houston? A city of 4 million people can't support an H&M store?

Old 11-29-2012, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jek74 View Post
WTF. I love H&M. What's wrong with you Houston? A city of 4 million people can't support an H&M store?
I don't know why they put the two H&Ms outside the loop? Maybe they're testing it out in Houston to see if Houstonians will bite?

I mean they should've set up shop in the Galleria or Kirby area.

But really I wouldn't figure their style would be that popular outside of maybe Montrose, the Musuem district, and downtown.

Old 11-29-2012, 05:39 PM

1,475 posts, read 2,771,023 times
Quote:
I don't know why they put the two H&Ms outside the loop? Maybe they're testing it out in Houston to see if Houstonians will bite?

I mean they should've set up shop in the Galleria or Kirby area.

But really I wouldn't figure their style would be that popular outside of maybe Montrose, the Musuem district, and downtown.

Yeah but the thing is Houston is importing people right and left from NY and CA plus the international community. I don't get why there can be 100 Holister stores all over Houston but no H&M. I hate the skinny jeans but H&M has some very sharp dress shirts and slacks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston