Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 09:10 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,349,138 times

Advertisements

Hello all! I am going to be attempting re decorating a guest bedroom. It used to be a childs room and it is God awful. Right now it is a pepto bismol pink from top to bottom, even the ceiling, with a border that is purple.

Stickers and tape stuck to the walls everywhere and a purple carpet that is stained beyond belief.

I am going to be shopping for a couple of twin beds and I will be looking for dark colored wood headboards, I am thinking. My SO bought two night stands which are a dark stain.

For the most part, my kids, 18 and 16 will be spending weekends in there.

I am going to be painting it but I don't just want to do a plain white. I want to compliment the wood and I have yet to choose the bedding colors.

I don't want anything bright, I like cools and neutrals. I don't mind pops of colors.

It isn't a terribly small room. The two beds will be next to one another against the wall with the night stands on the outer sides of the beds, touching the side walls. In between the beds there is a window. At the wall at the foot of the bed there will probably be a dresser with a flat screened tv.

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 09:58 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,010,807 times
try for a neutral color. just go for the right tone. a sage green, a taupe, a creamy more beige yellow. I call it butter but not quite that intense. finding the bedding you like might make the choice for you.

Old 01-15-2013, 10:04 AM

204 posts, read 911,178 times
My favorite color to use with darker woods, neutral bedding, and warm accent colors (it works ok with cool tones, but not as well) is a warm gray like Stonington Gray from Benjamin Moore. It reads as a warm neutral tone and works with reds, oranges, browns, and other warm grays.

Old 01-15-2013, 10:29 AM

5,119 posts, read 16,593,094 times
Buy headboards, then bedding, THEN choose paint and acessories. Don't buy paint first. It's can be a challenge to find bedding that matches. Consider taking a color from the bedding to paint the walls. Home Depot does a great job of mathing paint from fabric. I did it when finding a paint to match some accessories in my family room. I took the curtain fabric in to HD and it turned out great.

Old 01-15-2013, 10:33 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,339,930 times
As far as paint goes the nicer "caramel / cafe au lait" shades work well with dark wood tones. There is Benjamin Moore "sample pallette" that includes "ashely gray / cedar ridge / hedgehog brown" that can be very "sophisticated" using cedar ridge for the main walls, ashley grey for trim and the hedgehog as an accent on a wall or in a bedroom paint the closet doors...

You can also find a rug / carpet that has those tones to really give a nice feel...

Old 01-15-2013, 11:42 AM

Thanks everyone! I agree about the headboards being bought first. I also think the reds and oranges would look good with this wood. While I am not used to using them, it may be my chance to step out of the box!

Old 01-15-2013, 01:16 PM

44 posts, read 238,734 times
I don't know how much a 16 & 18 yr old boys will appreciate reds and organges. You want them to stay for the whole weekend...right. You can't go wrong with earth tones on the walls and bring in some color with accents. What hobbies do they have, are they into sports. Try to incorporate those things into the decorating process.

Old 01-15-2013, 02:08 PM

22,568 posts, read 47,624,621 times
Reds and oranges sound great. Orange is my son's favorite color!

Pottery Barn Teens usually has guy bedding in those colors... might give you some ideas.

Old 01-15-2013, 05:12 PM

Well they are only here a weekend out of the month, my son and daughter, and it is otherwise a guest bedroom. They may not be the only ones using it.

Old 01-15-2013, 06:06 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,220,653 times
I would definitely choose bedding before a paint color. It would be a shame to find bedding you really like and have to pass it by, because it didn't look well with the paint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating