Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 09:44 PM

4 posts, read 8,047 times

Advertisements

Hey everybody, new to the forum here. I’m an avid vegetable gardener, and stumbled upon this place. I’ve got an interior design challenge to put out there.

My wife and I live with our two dogs in a 3 bedroom home. We’re in the middle of redecorating/redesigning the other two bedrooms.

The larger of the two has served as an “office” until very recently. We’ve decided to transform it to a guestroom. We have an oak futon with a bright red bed set, as well as two coordinating red curtains for the window. I also have an oak nightstand. For the other side of the room, I’m looking to go this route:

[url=http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00208646]IKEA | Living room storage | Bookcases | EXPEDIT | Bookcase[/url]

The red baskets that go with will coordinate well with the bed and curtains.

So here are some pics to give you an idea. (this all admittedly looks like hell right now)
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u...80/photo14.jpg

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u...80/photo13.jpg

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u...80/photo12.jpg

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u...80/photo11.jpg

My first big question is…what to pain the walls? Also, what wood style to get the bookcase. The oak futon and nightstand go well together…should I go for a wood veneer for the case, or contrast it with black? The trim and windows are white.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2011, 10:32 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,048,201 times
Your link doesn't work. All you have to do is go to the webpage that you want to link, highlight and copy the link in the url line and paste it as is in the body of your post.

I notice that quite a few of looked at your post but not answered. It is difficult to know what to do when looking at the pictures you have posted.

I'm not particularly fond of bright red in a bedroom except maybe for an accept color used minimally - perhaps in a child's room. I think that in general bedrooms should be soothing and calm - that is where you sleep and colors and intensities of color have a direct correlation to relaxation.

If you are going to furnish and paint your guest room for the benefit of guests, I would think about the comfort of your guests. The room looks quite small - do you have room for a book shelf? I would make sure that you have end tables and lamps for reading, a luggage stand (portable) for unpacking, closet space and empty hangers (including pant and skirt hangers), extra blankets, a basket for bottled water, a few magazines and books on the bedside table bottom shelf, etc. Really think about the comfort of your guests.

I love creams, pale yellows, soft greens and blues for bedrooms and I am not a fan of "bright red" for a small guest room or oak - so dated (sorry). Ditto on the matching drapes - dated. Because the room and window(s ?) are so small, I would not opt for floor length drapes - woven wood or fabric pull-down shades or blinds with an inside mount would be a better, cleaner look and give you extra space under the window if needed. The current wall shelving (shown in the picture) juts into a very small room, visually making the room appear even smaller - I would remove that (you may be doing that already - don't know).

Anyway, just my 2 cents. At the very least, to save money, I would use the comforter, not use the drapes, paint the bedroom a creamy neutral color and paint your oak things black or refinish them in a darker stain - keep furnishing to a minimum and don't overcrowd a small room.

Last edited by Cattknap; 04-22-2011 at 11:25 AM..

Old 04-22-2011, 11:35 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,993,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Your link doesn't work. All you have to do is go to the webpage that you want to link, highlight and copy the link in the url line and paste it as is in the body of your post.

I notice that quite a few of looked at your post but not answered. It is difficult to know what to do when looking at the pictures you have posted.

I'm not particularly fond of bright red in a bedroom except maybe for an accept color used minimally - perhaps in a child's room. I think that in general bedrooms should be soothing and calm - that is where you sleep and colors and intensities of color have a direct correlation to relaxation.

If you are going to furnish and paint your guest room for the benefit of guests, I would think about the comfort of your guests. The room looks quite small - do you have room for a book shelf? I would make sure that you have end tables and lamps for reading, a luggage stand (portable) for unpacking, closet space and empty hangers (including pant and skirt hangers), extra blankets, a basket for bottled water, a few magazines and books on the bedside table bottom shelf, etc. Really think about the comfort of your guests.

I love creams, pale yellows, soft greens and blues for bedrooms and I am not a fan of "bright red" for a small guest room or oak - so dated (sorry). Ditto on the matching drapes - dated. Because the room and window(s ?) are so small, I would not opt for floor length drapes - woven wood or fabric pull-down shades or blinds with an inside mount would be a better, cleaner look and give you extra space under the window if needed. The current wall shelving (shown in the picture) juts into a very small room, visually making the room appear even smaller - I would remove that (you may be doing that already - don't know).

Anyway, just my 2 cents. At the very least, to save money, I would use the comforter, not use the drapes, paint the bedroom a creamy neutral color and paint your oak things black or refinish them in a darker stain - keep furnishing to a minimum and don't overcrowd a small room.
Excellent advice, the only thing I could possibly add would be an area rug for the room, wood floors can get cold in the winter.

Old 04-22-2011, 11:38 AM

19,836 posts, read 12,096,528 times
Cattknap has some good suggestions, especially about the color. Red is so stimulating and not conducive to sleep and relaxation. There is nothing wrong with a small guest room, what will make it inviting is to have it orderly and free of clutter. Comfy pillows and crisp new sheets will welcome your guests. The Expedit bookcases are cute, I have a very similar version from Costco that is quite sturdy and I love them. So much, in fact that I bought several more and use them in my office as bookcases. Mine are espresso, nearly black.

Old 04-22-2011, 12:21 PM

Thanks for the input. Sorry about the link. I'm trapped at work where I am forced to us IE8. It gets really buggy when filling out text fields online, so I typically write anything I'm going to post to a forum on Word, and copy paste it over. Something funky happened with the link in that process.

[URL]http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60208648[/URL]

Now, to clarify a few things:

1. Money is an issue. We are thrifty and don't want to go buying new stuff. I know Red isn't conducive for sleep and oak is dated. The oak nightstand was built by my grandfather and given to me when I was born. Not gonna paint it.

2. The picture with the futon in it is actually the other bedroom (the smaller of the two). The image of the messy room with green curtains is the one we want to transform, and is large enough to handle a double bed sized futon, nightstand, and bookshelf.

3. We don't have stayover guests often. Mostly, I want the large bookcase because we don't have a lot of storage in our home. I thought this would be an attractive way to store things like books, games, etc. So, to be honest, a reading area isn't really a priority.

4. I had a friend recently suggest like a lighter grey for the walls. I kinda like it. Something like this:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_kei0yc-HjQ...d+and+grey.jpg
5. The impetus primarily is, we are refinancing our home in 2 weeks, and I'm trying to make everything look as nice as possible. That room used to be our office, and it was just a mismatch of desks, storage, and other misc junk. Even if the end result of this redesign isn't the most practical use of space, we just want it to be attractive without breaking the bank.

Old 04-22-2011, 12:35 PM

gray is going to look dreadful with the oak and the floor.
Wish you could post some better pix of the room, its really hard to offer advice with those pix.
I was leaning towards a yellow of some sort, it would work well with the oak, the floor, and the red, which seems to have an orange undertone from the pix.
The red in the gray room is a blue red, which is in the cool spectrum, thats why it works with the gray.
I wouldnt do a black bookcase, either, perhaps a white or cream.....again, really hard to tell from the pix.

Old 04-22-2011, 12:39 PM

Yeah, I don't think I'm gonna do the black bookcase, it comes in birch and white as well. The trim in the room is white. The birch and oak together...I dunno...not sure which way to go.

sorry about the quality of the pics, my regular camera went kaput recently, so I'm stuck with my iPhone for pics.

My fear with yellow walls is getting a McDonalds or ketchup and mustard effect.

Old 04-22-2011, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodles91380 View Post
Yeah, I don't think I'm gonna do the black bookcase, it comes in birch and white as well. The trim in the room is white. The birch and oak together...I dunno...not sure which way to go.

sorry about the quality of the pics, my regular camera went kaput recently, so I'm stuck with my iPhone for pics.

I would go with the white bookcase, let the oak shine and tell the story, you know?
Especially since you grandfather built the nightstand, show it off, make it important in the room.
I was speaking more along the lines of a creamy off white, kissed with yellow.
Have to run right now, when I get back this afternoon, I will post some paint suggestions for you....

Old 04-22-2011, 01:27 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
By all means, show off your grandfather's nightstand. It's not dated if you love it (that stupid word should be deleted from the English language).

Were this my room, I'd find a creamy beige or pale, pale, pale yellow for the walls, and a paler off-white (maybe a linen-ish color?) for the trim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodles91380 View Post
LOL! And a little golden brown for the fries, green accents for the pickles ...

Old 04-22-2011, 01:55 PM

19,836 posts, read 12,096,528 times
IKEA | Living room storage | Bookcases | EXPEDIT | Bookcase

Link to Expedit bookcase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating