Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 02:16 PM

257 posts, read 491,530 times

Advertisements

We have a guest room that doubles as the hubby's office. We'd like to add a queen sized bed for when we have extended family visiting for a few weeks.

But since it's also used as an office, we want a bed that can be put away when it's not in used, which would be most of the year. We're thinking of sofa bed or murphy bed options.

Are there other options besides these two?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 02:51 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
You could get an air bed (Aero is one brand name). I would suggest getting 2 twins if you go that route though. The sofa bed is a good idea as it gives extra sitting space in the office...if that is ever needed. If you do go that route, get a foam mattress topper or something because they are not very comfortable. If you have the space, you could just get a regular mattress and box spring and metal bedframe and just put them out as needed and then store under another bed or something when not.

I would also consider putting a queen in one of the kids' rooms (assuming you have kids) and using that as the guest room in case your DH has to work while they are visiting. The kids can then sleep in the office on the floor on air mattresses or something.

Old 08-26-2013, 02:54 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Inflatable. This one gets mostly good reviews:

Intex® Comfort-Frame Bed : Cabela's

I have slept on an inflatable and it was OK, but the one in the link seems to be of better quality than the one I used.

What you decide really depends on your available space and budget and who will be using it. The Murphy bed would be the most expensive. Comfort would only depend on the quality of the mattress you choose to go with it. You can even find wall bed plus home office desk and storage combinations.

Old 08-26-2013, 03:00 PM

2,417 posts, read 2,988,207 times
I work in our guest room/office and we have a regular queen bed. We made room by taking off the closet doors and moving my desk into the closet. Eventually, I want to have a built-in desk in the closet, but for now the one I have fits nicely.

Old 08-26-2013, 03:19 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,217,774 times
Use a day bed and you can have a couch that pulls out into a sleep bed.

Old 08-26-2013, 03:37 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepie2000 View Post
I work in our guest room/office and we have a regular queen bed. We made room by taking off the closet doors and moving my desk into the closet. Eventually, I want to have a built-in desk in the closet, but for now the one I have fits nicely.
That's how my parents set up their guest room too. They have a queen sized bed, but the computer desk, and printer, are accessible with the folding closet doors open.

Old 08-26-2013, 04:02 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,824,656 times
We did a queen-size murphy bed in our guest room. It's been a good solution as we use that room for other things (sewing and other crafts) when we don't have guests.

We also have another bedroom that we use as an office. It's the "backup" guest room for when we have a bunch of people here. We have a queen sofabed in there. And finally, for when we're really loaded up - we have a leather sectional in the living room that has a queen-sized foldout. Neither are as comfortable as the murphy bed.

Old 08-26-2013, 04:59 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
I have slept on an air bed in the winter. They are cold. So, if you go that route, you will need to pad it or put a topper on it. I've also owned a sleep sofa. I think that is a fine solution for you. You do need to know that sleep sofas are heavy. You might want to be totally sure where you want to position it before it arrives.

Sleep sofa mattresses are generally not comfortable. Some are better than others, apparently. I don't know how you can know which ones are comfortable up front though. They work for certain situations, but they have disadvantages too. If I were doing a guest room/office combo, I'd probably choose a sleep sofa.

Old 08-26-2013, 06:39 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,904,466 times
Aero beds are cool for a few nights, tops. Get a Murphy bed with a real mattress and make your guests feel welcome.

Old 08-26-2013, 06:43 PM

6,817 posts, read 11,545,464 times
I vote for an aerobed on a folding frame

Portable Bed Frame for Air Mattress

I have never slept on a sofa bed that was in any way comfortable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating