Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 03:37 PM

81 posts, read 203,745 times

Advertisements

It appears there was another incident on the SRT. It's disappointing to see the increase in crime. It seems the city is on the verge of losing the trust of those who frequent the trail. This last event was at 11:30am. If mid day isn't safe then when is?

I really have a hard time letting my wife run/bike on the trail by herself, especially in less populated areas away from Falls Park.

Police: Woman assaulted on Swamp Rabbit Trail, suspect on loose | Local News - Home
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2013, 04:16 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,785,933 times
Not really sure what the city and county can do. It's impossible to have police along the entire trail which is currently over 17 miles long I believe all times of the day. Women that go on that trail alone need to have a knife, pepper spray, large dog, or a combination of those items with them.

Old 09-05-2013, 06:53 PM

481 posts, read 864,821 times
In all reality, the SRT is still very safe no matter what the media states. The county does patrol the SRT on MTB's and motorcycle's that I have visible seen, however, the SRT trail runs over 18 miles, so to fully enforce all areas of the SRT at one time is near impossible.

My advice to woman as 'g-man' mentioned..."Carry a knife, PS, knuckle buster, Taser, large dog, or a combination of all of them." Be vigilant and pay attention to your surroundings at all times, and try to go with another person if feasible. The bigger this city gets, the worse the crime will get.

Old 09-05-2013, 08:18 PM

684 posts, read 1,186,163 times
Or better yet, get a knife-gun.

Quote:
At approximately 11:30 this morning, a female was on the Swamp Rabbit Trail between the YMCA and Cleveland Park. She was assaulted by a white male on a dark color bicycle. The male pushed her down and struck her a couple times. After she was able to fend him off he fled on the bicycle toward Faris Road. The suspect is described as being in his late teens or early twenties, approximately 5'10", with a slim build and dark hair and eyes. He was wearing a tan shirt and black pants.
11:30 am is too early to be safe. Make sure the sun is at least full in the sky.

Old 09-06-2013, 06:25 AM

10,086 posts, read 7,761,924 times
I think any long trail like that, you shouldn't be out there alone.

There is a Saw Branch Trail in Summerville. It's not as long as the SRT but it's about 6 miles. Parts of it are isolated.

I was using the trail one afternoon and all of a sudden I see all these cops pop out. It scared me to death. Someone had carjacked someone at gunpoint and they suspected he was somewhere near the trail. There has been a robbery on that trail also....both incidents happened in daylight.

I don't know how many 'Dateline' shows I have watched where they are showing the start of a trail entrance where someone was last seen and went missing. This person goes on their daily jog alone and is later found in a shallow grave buried back in the woods somewhere.

Unless I'm with someone, I don't go on any isolated trail anymore and it's ashamed because I like to go walk/run on a whim and go at my own pace. I end up going in the different neighborhoods and even then you have to watch out for put bulls (that nearly attacked me). It's always something.

Old 09-06-2013, 06:40 AM

90 posts, read 277,622 times
The Swamp Rabbit can be a great thing but any trail that runs through urban areas has this potential. I used to ride my bike on a similar trail in Rochester NY- that went along the Genessee river and the Erie canal- I always had my pepper spray ready. We ride bikes on the swamp rabbit on the weekends, but I wouldn't go on it alone in less populated areas or in certain areas. You always need to be on guard. Even walking on the short greenway near where I live, I only walk it during the day with with my dog. You can just never be too vigilant.

Old 09-06-2013, 06:59 AM

12,898 posts, read 18,751,931 times
Do they have emergency call boxes along the trail? Not that a thug would hang out and mug people near one, and not that the victim would be able to use the box if the thug mugged them next to one, until after the fact. Any time anyone is on a trail by themselves they are taking a chance.

Old 09-06-2013, 07:57 AM

57 posts, read 76,476 times
Compared to urban trails in other cities I would say the Swamp Rabbit is very safe

Old 09-06-2013, 08:46 AM

241 posts, read 386,757 times
Default no problems so far

I've ridden nearly 4000 miles on the SRT between 7am and 7pm, weekdays and weekends. Never had a problem.

Old 09-06-2013, 11:11 AM

481 posts, read 864,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by libellula View Post
The Swamp Rabbit can be a great thing but any trail that runs through urban areas has this potential. I used to ride my bike on a similar trail in Rochester NY- that went along the Genessee river and the Erie canal- I always had my pepper spray ready. We ride bikes on the swamp rabbit on the weekends, but I wouldn't go on it alone in less populated areas or in certain areas. You always need to be on guard. Even walking on the short greenway near where I live, I only walk it during the day with with my dog. You can just never be too vigilant.
Do you ever hit up the Gateway Bike Park in Travelers Rest behind the SRT and Sun Rift?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area