Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 11:16 AM

179 posts, read 328,828 times

Advertisements

Hey, everyone should just never leave their house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2013, 12:00 PM

1,845 posts, read 2,763,213 times
This just seems too strange - perhaps sparked by all the news coverage. That brings to mind another incident: Teen Accused in Mauldin Assault Hoax in Custody, Now Charged . But I'm still glad they publicized it although the investigation is undoubtedly still ongoing.

All the other advice on this thread is still good.

Old 09-06-2013, 08:29 PM

2,213 posts, read 2,843,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
Do they have emergency call boxes along the trail? Not that a thug would hang out and mug people near one, and not that the victim would be able to use the box if the thug mugged them next to one, until after the fact. Any time anyone is on a trail by themselves they are taking a chance.
Call boxes are a good idea and should be put in. They're not a cure-all but they would be somewhat of a deterrent.

Old 09-07-2013, 05:58 AM

1,153 posts, read 1,661,515 times
This latest incident is the only one I have heard of during daylight hours and also the only one in that section of the trail. I consider that makes the trail safer than most streets in Greenville.

We need to keep that mind.

Also, crime happens everyday in Greenville. Why are the police choosing to publicize the Swamp Rabbit Trail crimes? To build a case against the various extensions of the trail into Parkins Mills and the like? Makes me wonder.

Old 09-07-2013, 09:04 AM

3,200 posts, read 4,611,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobo7396 View Post
This latest incident is the only one I have heard of during daylight hours and also the only one in that section of the trail. I consider that makes the trail safer than most streets in Greenville.

We need to keep that mind.

Also, crime happens everyday in Greenville. Why are the police choosing to publicize the Swamp Rabbit Trail crimes? To build a case against the various extensions of the trail into Parkins Mills and the like? Makes me wonder.
I don't think this trail is any different than other parks/trail in cities across the country. Call boxes would help some but no place is ever 100% safe. That being said, I don't think there are any reasons the police want to stop an extension. Police should make public all crime stats.

Greenville has crime just like Charleston, Columbia, Myrtle Beach, Charlotte, Atlanta, etc.... it has never been a low crime area and most likely never will be.

Old 09-07-2013, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobo7396 View Post
This latest incident is the only one I have heard of during daylight hours and also the only one in that section of the trail.
Why are the police choosing to publicize the Swamp Rabbit Trail crimes?
This is the only daytime incident that I know of also. There was one other incident at night near that location several years ago.

The police aren't the driving force in publicizing the recent incidents - it's the media, who drove the issue of quicker reporting, even before the investigation is completed. The news media were in turn prodded by social media to get the ball rolling.

Publicizing the incidents avoids an issue like the play An Enemy of the people, where everyone thinks everything is fine but there are actually bad things going on under the surface.

Old 09-07-2013, 05:30 PM

1,568 posts, read 3,226,871 times
Lets just hope they catch the sonofaguns....

Old 09-13-2013, 05:12 AM

Greenville police holding run to 'take back' Swamp Rabbit Trail

The Greenville Police Department will hold a 5-mile run to "Take Back the Swamp Rabbit Trail."

Quote:
On Thursday Sept. 19, police are inviting the public to go for a 5-mile run alongside officers.

Runners are asked to meet at the Greenville Zoo parking lot and be ready to run starting at 6 a.m.

Old 09-16-2013, 08:02 AM

348 posts, read 497,035 times
Default It Has Had an Effect!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausrutherford View Post
Hey, everyone should just never leave their house.
I ride the SRT on occasion with two female companions. Recently, they have confided in me that they are afraid to ride the trail and may not do so for sometime. We normally get on at E Farris and ride to TR, where we have lunch and return. I know that this is a personal choice but it disturbs me to realize that this crime wave is deterring my friends use of the SRT! What a shame. The local authorities, being police or city planers, need to put forward an intense effort to solve this current crime situation, along the SRT and Greenville. I believe that the SRT is a draw for tourists and the like. This has to hurt the image of Greenville and surrounding communities. The recent incidents in downtown and on the SRT put fear in the hearts of law abiding citizens. It is just a normal reaction. I wonder how business has been for those close to the SRT? I know that Williams Hardware has a thriving business, in part due to the SRT. The powers in place need to find and fix this problem ASAP. This is effecting a lot of people. JMHO.

Old 09-16-2013, 08:37 AM

12,897 posts, read 18,751,931 times
Keep riding and keep patronizing downtown. Keep a lookout no matter where you are in this world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area