Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2020, 01:42 PM

18,468 posts, read 31,630,721 times

Advertisements

The human face was not meant to be covered by a mask forever.
I find it hard to breathe thru it, I for one, wear it out when i see people, as soon as the people go, i lower it.
I do not like wearing it one bit.

Once thisd covis crap is done, the masks will go away. no one really wants to wear a mask.

Old 06-29-2020, 02:10 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I find it hard to breathe thru it, I for one, wear it out when i see people, as soon as the people go, i lower it.

Once thisd covis crap is done, the masks will go away. no one really wants to wear a mask.
Funny, but I don't have any problem breathing through my mask. Is yours made of cotton?

A lot of people don't like wearing glasses but they have to so they can see. People didn't want to wear seatbelts but since they save lives, people use them. The government is not going to control you--people who are so worried about that are coming off as paranoid. Most countries in the world wear masks and their governments are not trying to take away their rights or trying to control them. Just trying to get this epidemic under control and not have so many people dying. The US is doing very poorly at that.

Most countries wear masks right now due to the pandemic. It's not just the USA, it's almost everywhere. Probably some, like Japan and China, will continue once the pandemic is over, but the US will stop wearing masks. We have free choice but the smart choice at this point in time is to wear one. No one, young or old, is thrilled with a world wide epidemic and having to take precautions, but it's wise to wear one.

Old 06-29-2020, 02:35 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post

It is not my favorite either. But I have been sucking it up. Not only wearing it to go to the store, but while walking around. I am doing a little challenge to walk 100 miles this month (real miles, not steps) - and I have been wearing mask for each of these miles. I live in a hilly neighborhood so this takes some exertion as well.

Lesson learned - sweaty masks suck.

Old 06-29-2020, 03:37 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,643,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Scuba diving, you need a mask just not the kind you wear to the mall!
I've seen pictures of a mom and daughter at a Chinese airport wearing plastic bottle (the kind that spring water comes in) over their heads and one guy in Hong Kong wearing a gas mask.

Old 06-30-2020, 07:27 AM

30,148 posts, read 11,783,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sylentvoyce View Post
What stops it from eventually becoming a federal law? I mean these masks are so good, they could reduce sickness every flu season. Let's write it in that masks are required for every person who leaves their home forevermore.
Lots of things could happen but what is the point of addressing hypothetical situations? At this point in time we have a patchwork of state and local orders that will at some point end. That was what I was addressing. And you comment that these sorts of things last forever was incorrect. Emergency orders by nature are temporary. And if this was to be federal law, likely the Democrats in the house would vote for it, it might barely pass the senate and Trump would almost certainly veto it. So at least until the end of January 2021 there will not be a federal law regarding masks. Again worrying about situations that have yet to happen is pointless.

Quote:
Yes I'm familiar with temporary emergency orders. But Orders can quickly turn into law.
Do you have examples of state and local emergency orders that quickly turned into federal law?

My suggestion. Wear a mask. If everyone did what is obviously the prudent thing to do there would be no need for the government to mandate them to do it. We would actually take back the power from the government. Pretty simple.

Old 06-30-2020, 07:54 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,298,103 times
Quote:
That is a fair statement Bosox 15. hopefully these rules don't last in some form in perpetuity. The biggest thing is individual responsibility. As with the poster above I believe in individual responsibility. But that means those people have to understand the importance of protection, but still maintain the freedom to choose.

Many say your freedom stops where my health begins, that's why mask rules are necessary, but I argue on the flip end of the end coin. That our combined freedom allows you to choose to only hang out with people who wear masks. Enforcing rules on others for your comfort or health takes away from that individualism.

Yes. the chief focus of this thread is analyzing rules made by politicians. As such it will inevitably end up getting political. I hope to be active in this thread, to help moderate that a bit.

thank you for your input.
The whole "personal choice thing" fails when it comes to dangerous epidemic disease. John Stuart Mills lived before scientists understood germs and their role in causing disease.

Yes, masks ought to be mandated in some areas and people not wearing them should either stay home or be fined.

Old 06-30-2020, 07:57 AM

7,235 posts, read 4,546,649 times
I think people would object.

But honestly I wonder if it will linger. The reason I didn't wear a mask before on public transport is that I didn't have one.

But now, I have about 55. So why not at least attempt to avoid the yearly onslaught of colds and flu.

Old 06-30-2020, 10:39 AM

13,646 posts, read 9,708,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
People didn't want to wear seatbelts but since they save lives, people use them. The government is not going to control you--people who are so worried about that are coming off as paranoid.
No, I wear my seatbelt from the desire to avoid fines, and not because of safety-concerns. Were it not to have been for the government mandates, not only would I not wear my seatbelt, but I'd remove the belts from my car.

I regret very much, that seat belts are mandatory. But it's a battle that was fought and lost in the 1980s. It's another example of individual "privileges" being taken away, "for the greater good". We now accept seat belts, because decades have passed, and the former fires of indignation have simmered down. But inside I very much wish that those nasty chest-straps could be ripped out.

Quote:
Most countries in the world wear masks and their governments are not trying to take away their rights or trying to control them.
No, most countries in the world have in some capacity made non-mask-wearing a punishable infraction. Perhaps in other countries there is less of a libertarian bent, but the idea of governments aggrandizing to themselves emergency powers, at the cost of individual liberties, is a universal principle. It is the negation of that principle that is so rare.

Governments are always and incessantly taking away rights. The issue is, the extent to which individuals raise a ruckus, or acquiesce quietly.

Quote:
We have free choice but the smart choice at this point in time is to wear one. ...
Our "free choice" is mostly myths and slogans. The reality is that all nations impose systematic restrictions on their denizens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Lots of things could happen but what is the point of addressing hypothetical situations?
The point is to exert maximum pressure now, to do what we can, to hopefully preclude "temporary" measures from becoming permanent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
The whole "personal choice thing" fails when it comes to dangerous epidemic disease. John Stuart Mills lived before scientists understood germs and their role in causing disease.
So, the essential meaning of personal liberty is conditional on the tide of scientific discovery?

Old 06-30-2020, 10:45 AM

4,944 posts, read 3,051,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
No, I wear my seatbelt from the desire to avoid fines.

These are not uncomfortable though, the mask I just had to wear when the dewpoint temperature outdoors is akin to Costa Rica is horrible.
There's no getting used to it.

Old 06-30-2020, 01:42 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,298,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
No, I wear my seatbelt from the desire to avoid fines, and not because of safety-concerns. Were it not to have been for the government mandates, not only would I not wear my seatbelt, but I'd remove the belts from my car.

I regret very much, that seat belts are mandatory. But it's a battle that was fought and lost in the 1980s. It's another example of individual "privileges" being taken away, "for the greater good". We now accept seat belts, because decades have passed, and the former fires of indignation have simmered down. But inside I very much wish that those nasty chest-straps could be ripped out.

No, most countries in the world have in some capacity made non-mask-wearing a punishable infraction. Perhaps in other countries there is less of a libertarian bent, but the idea of governments aggrandizing to themselves emergency powers, at the cost of individual liberties, is a universal principle. It is the negation of that principle that is so rare.

Governments are always and incessantly taking away rights. The issue is, the extent to which individuals raise a ruckus, or acquiesce quietly.

Our "free choice" is mostly myths and slogans. The reality is that all nations impose systematic restrictions on their denizens.

The point is to exert maximum pressure now, to do what we can, to hopefully preclude "temporary" measures from becoming permanent.

So, the essential meaning of personal liberty is conditional on the tide of scientific discovery?
The right of tens of thousands of people to avoid a dangerous and possibly deadly disease outweighs the minimal liberty interest involved in choosing not to wear a mask.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates