Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2020, 09:44 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,210,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr78609 View Post
QUESTION...where can we get the medical mask that are effective in filtering out the virus. These home made mask and ones for sale at some stores and on line are NOT CERTIFIED BY MEDICAL STANDARDS....are not good enough to really protect us.There has been more than enough time for the mask (like the ones I got at home depot 2 years ago) to be produced for all of us to be able to get one. WHERE ARE THEY? are they being horded by our government? We deserve some straight answers .

I agree. I'd have a bit more respect for all the authorities calling for and implementing mask orders if I had seen steps taken to ramp up production for it. I haven't seen or heard much of anything in regards to mask production since the squabble with 3M back in late March. All these homemade bandanas shouldn't even be considered as in compliance with a mask requirement.

Old 06-28-2020, 10:37 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,864,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport185 View Post
But you know what that's not my problem. Then those old people should stay home.
The latest cases of COVID are mostly people under 35. Sure they will likely survive, but they will keep spreading it around to more vulnerable populations and everyone else.

Old 06-28-2020, 02:47 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,246,948 times
Walking thought some stores today (not wearing a mask...not required) I decided in some base a Burka would be more appropriate than just a mask.

Old 06-28-2020, 03:17 PM

30,143 posts, read 11,778,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyXY View Post
I support having a "sunset clause" in the mask laws for the fears mentioned in this thread

There is a sunset clause already. Booting the politicians out of office if they don't repeal the mask laws at the right time.

Old 06-28-2020, 03:35 PM

19,023 posts, read 27,579,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Wearing a mask has a very specific purpose, it helps reduce the spread of contagious disease. Who would benefit, and what would the benefit be, from a requirement to wear masks when there is no longer a threat to the public at large? From the large amount of negative response to maks I don't think this would ever be a case of 'oops, we forgot to take that law off the books'.

#1. yes, that it does. It was a psychological obedience test. On massive scale. It showed very clearly, to those in interest, that, using "The Primary Fear" as factor of psychological pressure, crowds VOLUNTEER to succumbs to any demand, imposed upon them. EIen at complete loss of their livelihood. It is great test on social obedience. It showed, how little common sense and free will is left in the masses. Also, it has another psychological aspect. it deprives you of your dignity. Personally, and I am bound by direct ORDER to wear mask, due to employment, I still feel like a slave with muzzle on.
#2. define your statement. From what I see, and I am Baconian science type mind, so I trust what I see - I see many hating/complaining/b-ng about masks - and wearing them. MOF, I live in a state, where there is no direct ORDER to wear them. Only "strong urge" to in specific situations and conditions. Yet, it somehow translated into "it's mandatory" word of the mouth and huge spike in wearers. So what's the point to any "response" if it's nothing more than shaking air or using bandwidth to post in forums.

Old 06-28-2020, 05:06 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
The latest cases of COVID are mostly people under 35. Sure they will likely survive, but they will keep spreading it around to more vulnerable populations and everyone else.
Some of them survive with permanent bodily damage though. That's probably what it would take for the rest of the people their age to wear masks.

I'd wear one going into the future (I already wear one now) if they were designed better. Can't they invent something that's more comfortable for those who complain that they can't breathe? Can't they invent masks that you can see through so you could see people smile and so that people who are hard of hearing and need to read lips could do so? And you could see what people look like.

Also, these masks would be more protective than what most of us have now. Make better masks and make masks that really work. Then market them commercially and just maybe, people would buy them and wear them!

Old 06-28-2020, 06:15 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
#1. yes, that it does. It was a psychological obedience test. On massive scale. It showed very clearly, to those in interest, that, using "The Primary Fear" as factor of psychological pressure, crowds VOLUNTEER to succumbs to any demand, imposed upon them. EIen at complete loss of their livelihood. It is great test on social obedience. It showed, how little common sense and free will is left in the masses. Also, it has another psychological aspect. it deprives you of your dignity. Personally, and I am bound by direct ORDER to wear mask, due to employment, I still feel like a slave with muzzle on.
#2. define your statement. From what I see, and I am Baconian science type mind, so I trust what I see - I see many hating/complaining/b-ng about masks - and wearing them. MOF, I live in a state, where there is no direct ORDER to wear them. Only "strong urge" to in specific situations and conditions. Yet, it somehow translated into "it's mandatory" word of the mouth and huge spike in wearers. So what's the point to any "response" if it's nothing more than shaking air or using bandwidth to post in forums.
#1. A worldwide obedience test? Okayyyyy.....helluva lot of cooperation between governments, I'm impressed, lol. And if personal dignity relies on not wearing a mask, well, that's a problem IMO, my own dignity rests on other things. Almost sounds like you're with the 'OMG it's so uuuugly' crowd?
#2. Hmmm, responses on this and other forms of social media, news sources, social distance tracking sources (more as a form of who is following suggested guidelines if not masking specifically), personal observation in my own area? Note that even though you (general you) might be wearing a mask where required, if you are complaining about it then it still counts as a negative response. And those that are complaining are VERY vocal, it's not like your opinions are getting overlooked by anyone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Some of them survive with permanent bodily damage though. That's probably what it would take for the rest of the people their age to wear masks.

I'd wear one going into the future (I already wear one now) if they were designed better. Can't they invent something that's more comfortable for those who complain that they can't breathe? Can't they invent masks that you can see through so you could see people smile and so that people who are hard of hearing and need to read lips could do so? And you could see what people look like.

Also, these masks would be more protective than what most of us have now. Make better masks and make masks that really work. Then market them commercially and just maybe, people would buy them and wear them!
Have you not seen the shields yet? https://www.aarp.org/health/healthy-...-to-masks.html

Old 06-28-2020, 07:18 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
Quote:
#1. A worldwide obedience test? Okayyyyy.....helluva lot of cooperation between governments, I'm impressed, lol. And if personal dignity relies on not wearing a mask, well, that's a problem IMO, my own dignity rests on other things. Almost sounds like you're with the 'OMG it's so uuuugly' crowd?
#2. Hmmm, responses on this and other forms of social media, news sources, social distance tracking sources (more as a form of who is following suggested guidelines if not masking specifically), personal observation in my own area? Note that even though you (general you) might be wearing a mask where required, if you are complaining about it then it still counts as a negative response. And those that are complaining are VERY vocal, it's not like your opinions are getting overlooked by anyone.
Have you not seen the shields yet? https://www.aarp.org/health/healthy-...-to-masks.html
I've only seen the shields on tv but something on that idea would be more acceptable to more people than a mask. I still think with all the geniuses out there, somebody would design something attractive and safe.

There was a mention in that article about using masks with transparent areas around the mouth and that sounds good too. I'd like the entire mask to be transparent. I don't mind wearing a mask at all--give me a see-through mask so people can see my face and tell who I am and what I'm saying and make it kind of pretty, maybe with a floral band or ties. Men's could have cars or airplanes, lol, for decoration.

There are questions about the effectiveness of the shields though because in the instances when the virus is floating in the air, not as droplets, it might be able to float up into the opening of the shield. So they recommend BOTH a mask and a shield! That defeats the purpose. Somebody needs to come up with a transparent and attractive barrier--maybe not a mask and maybe not a shield. Things do catch on if they are practical. Styles and fashions change and here's an opportunity for some smart person to design a clever, attractive, practical barrier and market it to the public. People are not going to go around wearing masks like the people in Taiwan. It's way too far removed from what we are used to and just not a part of our culture.

Old 06-28-2020, 08:10 PM

30,143 posts, read 11,778,294 times
Quote:

Any studies on effectiveness of shields compared to different types of masks out there? The one downside I have heard with the shields is you tend to fog them up by breathing.

Old 06-28-2020, 08:19 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Any studies on effectiveness of shields compared to different types of masks out there? The one downside I have heard with the shields is you tend to fog them up by breathing.
I haven't looked into it personally but I'm sure somewhere there have been studies. These generally aren't meant as a protection for the person wearing them, basically they are just a personal sneeze guard, in much the same way a bandanna or mask is.
We have some of our employees wearing the shields instead of the masks and there haven't been any complaints about fogging up, the biggest irritation seems to be the red line it leaves behind on your forehead when you take it off, keep in mind the employees are wearing them for at least 4 or 5 hours straight though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates