Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2017, 12:51 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,738,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
I wish consumer technology froze in the mid 2000's; for me I had every convenience I needed. Regardless, most of it today is a money making venture as people want the latest and greatest even if they don't need it. The technology that I wish excelled is the technology focused on the environment and the medical field.
For Sure, AMEN...

PS: If YOU had a 66 Mustang, I had a sweet 68 mustang...still think of that primo auto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2017, 02:35 PM

4,944 posts, read 3,049,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Most likely spoken by a YOUNGER person. I'm speaking as an OLDER person. Everything was good back THEN, but we all worked harder for what we had...we didn't pull out plastic and say "charge it"...

I don't dislike today's world, lots I would like were different, but the good old days were that,,GOOD.
One thing is for certain, we were much better prepared for a major power outage in the "old days".
When cash was king, and phones were hard wired.

Old 09-28-2017, 02:47 PM

4,208 posts, read 3,758,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
The day you think everything was better yesterday is the day you become officially old.
Haha, that's the truth.

Old 09-28-2017, 02:52 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,618,351 times
Was the Cotton Gin a money making scam? Practically everything you have was made courtesy of technology. The Industrial Revolution kicked it off. Would you rather raise your own sheep to make wool yarn to knit your own clothing or raise cotton to make fabric so you can sew yourself a pair of pants? I'd rather play on my iPhone!

Old 09-28-2017, 03:18 PM

4,208 posts, read 3,758,240 times
Come to think of it, I can't think of a single consumer technology since, well say 2006, that has improved my life or that I ask myself how I lived without it.

Old 09-28-2017, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Was the Cotton Gin a money making scam? Practically everything you have was made courtesy of technology. The Industrial Revolution kicked it off. Would you rather raise your own sheep to make wool yarn to knit your own clothing or raise cotton to make fabric so you can sew yourself a pair of pants? I'd rather play on my iPhone!
I consider these inventions, like the wheel.
Did you know that iphone has a back-up battery/tracking device which operates for up to a week even when the main battery is removed?.
I know this b/c a friend running for county sheriff was required to attend an electronics seminar for law enforcement as part of his training.
Technology can be used to invade your privacy, while cotton gins are harmless.

Old 09-28-2017, 03:47 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,944,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
I consider these inventions, like the wheel.
Did you know that iphone has a back-up battery/tracking device which operates for up to a week even when the main battery is removed?.
I know this b/c a friend running for county sheriff was required to attend an electronics seminar for law enforcement as part of his training.
Technology can be used to invade your privacy, while cotton gins are harmless.
Actually the cotton gin is typically credited with the rapid spread of slavery. So I wouldn’t say “harmless”.

Old 09-28-2017, 10:39 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,860,068 times
Quote:
Actually the cotton gin is typically credited with the rapid spread of slavery. So I wouldn’t say “harmless”.
There's that.

Also, textile factories were notorious for causing lost fingers and even limbs, and severe lung damage.

Old 09-29-2017, 07:30 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Most likely spoken by a YOUNGER person. I'm speaking as an OLDER person. Everything was good back THEN, but we all worked harder for what we had...we didn't pull out plastic and say "charge it"...

I don't dislike today's world, lots I would like were different, but the good old days were that,,GOOD.
This is probably going to be one of those things in the future, that people look back and wonder why so many people did those crazy things! Just charging something to credit type mentality cant last long term.

Old 09-29-2017, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Inhumane thought process was the cause, not inventions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates