Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 08:34 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,084,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelogo View Post
We hear of the great achievement in technology but it's just exaggerations. Supportively nasa sent men to the moon but were never able to "go back", and their talking about going to mars. I wouldn't call that a scam, that is plain lies.
I mean... NASA did "go back" five times to be exact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2017, 08:51 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,864,317 times
A pencil is technology. A wheel is technology.

Old 09-25-2017, 08:54 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,528,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
At my work no. The printer was on 24/7. We probably consumed an entire forest worth of paper a day.<>
That’s just a few I can think of off the top of my head.
+1 We just did a refi on the mortgage. The last ones generated a huge stack of paper. This one was done all electronically, signing a few papers and scanning them then downloading the results. Most were just electronically signed and never printed.
We are moving forward.
I must admit I like on line exchange, but not so much a fan of the smart phone. When it fails I refer to it as the worst failed technology since the invention of the lead pipe. (Which poisoned the Roman Empire and brought on the Dark Ages.) I predict a similar fate for our civilization due to solar flares.

Old 09-25-2017, 11:00 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,950,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
+1 We just did a refi on the mortgage. The last ones generated a huge stack of paper. This one was done all electronically, signing a few papers and scanning them then downloading the results. Most were just electronically signed and never printed.
We are moving forward.
I must admit I like on line exchange, but not so much a fan of the smart phone. When it fails I refer to it as the worst failed technology since the invention of the lead pipe. (Which poisoned the Roman Empire and brought on the Dark Ages.) I predict a similar fate for our civilization due to solar flares.
I don’t see the smart phone going anywhere anytime soon. It’s does too much and it’s too adaptable. Even 3rd world refugees own them.

Old 09-26-2017, 12:23 AM

579 posts, read 368,297 times
What I don't like about smartphones is the virtual buttons (except power on/off and volume). It takes me longer to text than it does to talk, so that actually wastes time.

But the biggest time-waster is when people play on their smartphones in situations (e.g. while waiting for laundry) that in the past, they would be: playing with toys, reading a book, etc. (depending on age and interests). Staring at a screen while the world goes by you can't be a good thing.

Old 09-26-2017, 02:35 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,210,154 times
You are referring to planned obsolescence. It's a catch-22 though, If companies built products that could last a long time like at least a decade they would be incredibly expensive to buy in the first place.

Old 09-26-2017, 08:06 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,087,687 times
If you have to upgrade every year then it is really not an efficient machine or device. Smartphones need to become more eco-friendly as every year there is a new one that totally doesn't warrant the upgrade of the previous model.

I have an HP Desktop from Aug 2007 that matches the performance of a Work Laptop that was bought in 2016. I recently bought a 4gb Memory Ram for the 10th Anniversary of my HP desktop. It went from a 6gb to 10 gb.

I bought personal laptop so when i go on vacation i don't have to take the work laptop. I will just leave teamviewer on my work laptop to access it. The HP laptop with similar specs to my work laptop cost around 320 to 370.

Old 09-26-2017, 09:39 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,396,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
I cannot concur with car maintenance, as the electronics have actually added to my mechanic trips.
The next one will have been built prior to 1984, before fuel injection.
And Google maps/mapquest have failed me on a number of occasions.
Versus 1990? I can hop in my car, turn on the Waze app, and get the best route with real time traffic and turn-by-turn instructions to any destination in the country. Before smart phones with GPS I can remember having to stop at a gas station to buy a map when traveling in unfamiliar locations.

Old 09-26-2017, 09:52 AM

1,279 posts, read 1,723,333 times
I got stuck at "Vista."

Old 09-26-2017, 10:00 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,603,511 times
Oh yes, just look at cell phones for proof of that, I remember when cell phones came out, it seemed like the technology changed weekly, they got smaller and smaller, new features kept us amazed all the time, but then, at a certain point, it all stopped, once we reached the smartphones we have now, the technology has pretty much plateaued, I cant remember the last 'big thing' in cell phones that really made me take notice, they just keep churning out the same basic phones with tiny little changes every year.

Where is the 3D holographic interfaces, pop up holographic keyboards, flexible phones, etc etc?

I believe technology is being suppressed when it comes to cell phones and probably everything else to some degree. There comes a point in technology where it must be suppressed or it would become 'too beneficial' to the little guy, a good example is the invisibility cloak, they have been working on this for awhile and recently I saw they had created a fairly decent one, but this is something they can NEVER allow the public to have, if they did it would be a disaster for law enforcement, when people could just go buy one of these and then go rob 10 banks, since they would be invisible, they could never pin it on them.

There are many other areas of technology where the same logic applies, the public will never see it if its 'too good'.

Interesting reading about the INvention Secrecy act of 1951, this gives the details of what Im talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates