Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 01:57 PM

50,790 posts, read 24,297,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
I am convinced my childhood days of building models and go carts far outweighed my expensive and private education.
These creative endeavors have long been replaced with internet etc. requiring less thought and even less patience.

What happens should technology fail?, as we are now more dependent upon it than in 1990.
What the heck is the big problem. You don't want to use a smart phone, nobody's making you. You don't want to use Google Maps, fine, no one is making you use Google Maps. Krickey!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2017, 02:01 PM

4,945 posts, read 3,051,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
What the heck is the big problem. You don't want to use a smart phone, nobody's making you. You don't want to use Google Maps, fine, no one is making you use Google Maps. Krickey!
You missed the points, which proves the points.

Old 09-26-2017, 04:32 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,205,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Yet people were less busy and had more free time. Go figure.
Technology is always invented to make things more efficient, convenient and less time consuming. The fact that we are on here discussing this proves this point when we could be working like dogs without our new tech.
Quote:
You missed the points, which proves the points.
I think he makes a good point. Technology has improved our quality of life. The time it takes to do certain tasks has been cut down significantly. I would dare ask anyone who has worked in any profession or industry for decades has new technological advances helped make their jobs easier or more difficult I believe most would choose the former.

The issues most people have with technology are actually with how people are using the technology even though they don't realize it. Not with the technology themselves. There are people who can use smartphones yet still retain their face to face social skills. Their are people who use social media just as it was intended which is to connect with friends, promote businesses and have productive discussions and not involve themselves in petty drama and harassing or trolling others.

Instead of railing against technology perhaps people need to be held accountable for how they used their gadgets.

Old 09-26-2017, 06:51 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,042,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
...............Technology is always invented to make things more efficient, convenient and less time consuming. The fact that we are on here discussing this proves this point when we could be working like dogs without our new tech.

...................The time it takes to do certain tasks has been cut down significantly. I would dare ask anyone who has worked in any profession or industry for decades has new technological advances helped make their jobs easier or more difficult I believe most would choose the former........................
Not sure I agree with your first quote. One use of technology for business has meant shifting the workload from them to YOU.

So much of what business did for you, is now done by YOU for the business. Self-checkout at stores?? Really, I have to check myself out of a grocery store!!

It is really common on the financial front. For 25 years we have been "banking" with a credit union a 125 miles from home. Everyday I would throw the bills into a pile and then on the 1st and 15th spend 15 minutes writing out checks and mailing them.

Now I can check everything I want, move money around with a click and I end up spending hours on tech support trying to get the damn thing to work. Then again, it seems it takes 15 minutes to pay one bill rather than a pile when writing checks and sticking them in a envelope. I have had enough, we are requiring paper bills mailed to us once again. Life is much simpler again.

On the professional front there have been great advances due to technology, but again instead of focusing on doing things more efficiently, we, in many cases, are doing MORE worthless things just because we can. The technology literally lets us have the luxury of wasting time and money.

Not against technology. I probably own more than a dozen computers and do everything from photography, to remotely running telescopes, etc. in my spare time.

However, we do not focus on using technology to make OUR personal lives better, instead we have let businesses shift the workload from them providing services to making us do it for them while they reap the profits.

Anyway, try shifting your bill paying to paper. You will find life more serene and much less hectic.

Oh, and I am waiting on a self-driving car. That is a real useful technological advance.

Old 09-27-2017, 02:24 AM

579 posts, read 367,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Oh yes, just look at cell phones for proof of that, I remember when cell phones came out, it seemed like the technology changed weekly, they got smaller and smaller, new features kept us amazed all the time, but then, at a certain point, it all stopped, once we reached the smartphones we have now, the technology has pretty much plateaued, I cant remember the last 'big thing' in cell phones that really made me take notice, they just keep churning out the same basic phones with tiny little changes every year.

Where is the 3D holographic interfaces, pop up holographic keyboards, flexible phones, etc etc?

I believe technology is being suppressed when it comes to cell phones and probably everything else to some degree. There comes a point in technology where it must be suppressed or it would become 'too beneficial' to the little guy, a good example is the invisibility cloak, they have been working on this for awhile and recently I saw they had created a fairly decent one, but this is something they can NEVER allow the public to have, if they did it would be a disaster for law enforcement, when people could just go buy one of these and then go rob 10 banks, since they would be invisible, they could never pin it on them.

There are many other areas of technology where the same logic applies, the public will never see it if its 'too good'.

Interesting reading about the INvention Secrecy act of 1951, this gives the details of what Im talking about.
delusional

Old 09-27-2017, 03:00 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,944,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Not sure I agree with your first quote. One use of technology for business has meant shifting the workload from them to YOU.

So much of what business did for you, is now done by YOU for the business. Self-checkout at stores?? Really, I have to check myself out of a grocery store!!

It is really common on the financial front. For 25 years we have been "banking" with a credit union a 125 miles from home. Everyday I would throw the bills into a pile and then on the 1st and 15th spend 15 minutes writing out checks and mailing them.

Now I can check everything I want, move money around with a click and I end up spending hours on tech support trying to get the damn thing to work. Then again, it seems it takes 15 minutes to pay one bill rather than a pile when writing checks and sticking them in a envelope. I have had enough, we are requiring paper bills mailed to us once again. Life is much simpler again.

On the professional front there have been great advances due to technology, but again instead of focusing on doing things more efficiently, we, in many cases, are doing MORE worthless things just because we can. The technology literally lets us have the luxury of wasting time and money.

Not against technology. I probably own more than a dozen computers and do everything from photography, to remotely running telescopes, etc. in my spare time.

However, we do not focus on using technology to make OUR personal lives better, instead we have let businesses shift the workload from them providing services to making us do it for them while they reap the profits.

Anyway, try shifting your bill paying to paper. You will find life more serene and much less hectic.

Oh, and I am waiting on a self-driving car. That is a real useful technological advance.
I have all my bills on autopay. It takes me 0 minutes and I can be out of the country and my bills still get paid. I haven’t been in a bank in years and Im loving it.

You don’t have to check yourself out of a grocery store. That’s just an option (much faster option IMHO). If you’re rather the business do more work, some stores (like Walmart), allow you to select your groceries online then they’ll get them and load them in your car for you. Don’t even have to get out. For me that frees up another hour or so to go do something I’d rather be doing. If my job still had unlimited overtime, I could work another hour and still get home at the same time because I’m not doing a scavenger hunt in the grocery store.

Last edited by Ziggy100; 09-27-2017 at 04:09 AM..

Old 09-27-2017, 04:12 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,944,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonso Gil View Post
delusional
This thread somehow became a magnet for conspiracy theorists.

Old 09-27-2017, 08:59 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times
Quote:
As I sit here using a 12 year old computer with Vista software, I am pondering this question.
Supposedly this non-supported Microsoft product should function very poorly at best.
Yet it only slows down at night, when my poor ISP is at peak usage.
And the cell phones, mine is outdated after only 4 years. My next one will be even more outdated, a waterproof/shock proof flip phone. Smartphones cost as much as laptops now, and I do need a new computer.
Taking into account our destruction of the planet, are we as a society more efficient in 2017 than we were in 1990?.
I think we accomplished more without all the distractions.
Destruction of the planet? The planet is in better shape now than it was when that wack job Al Gore started selling his ideas of global warming.

Old 09-27-2017, 09:19 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonso Gil View Post
delusional
This is quote from Ben Rich, Former CEO of Lockheed Martins, Skunkworks...

" We already have the means to travel among the stars, but these technologies are locked up in black projects, and would take an act of God to get them out to benefit humanity. Anything you can imagine, we already know how to do".

Not to mention, this quote was from a few years back too.

You can look up Invention secrecy act of 1951, it is very much real, what do you think the purpose of such an act is in the first place...its about suppression of technology in order to benefit govt control over the people and to benefit large industries that may become obsolete if new tech is released.

Old 09-27-2017, 01:23 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,042,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
I have all my bills on autopay. It takes me 0 minutes and I can be out of the country and my bills still get paid. I haven’t been in a bank in years and Im loving it.................
Right.

We had a large number of our bills on autopay. Every year when we got new cards we had to CALL and reset all our autopay options. Then one year our credit information was compromized and we got three sets of cards within six months. It seemed we were spending all our time resetting the autopay so we could save ALL that time.

We do travel a LOT so one time when I got back to cell service I noticed bogus charges on one of our accounts. I called and was told that I had already paid the bill....they were so sorry, but there was nothing they could do about it. After a bit of effort I finally got them to recind the bill.

But my favorite autopay story is Sirius XM. To cancel their autopay option, I had to have the Consumer Fraud Division, of the Attorney Generals Office for the state of Washington to send them a letter to cancel the autopay.

That was a real time saver, though I did find out that corporations are much, much nicer to the Attorney General of the state of Washington than they were to me!!!

Technology is great when it works. It is a nightmare when it does not.

Oh, I have been banking by mail with my credit union since 1978. I have not been in there since 1986 or so. Total visits have been three or four in person since 1978. That included car loans, mortgages, and personal signature loans.

Banking by mail works much better than internet banking!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates