Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 10:11 AM

50,787 posts, read 24,297,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
I cannot concur with car maintenance, as the electronics have actually added to my mechanic trips.
The next one will have been built prior to 1984, before fuel injection.
And Google maps/mapquest have failed me on a number of occasions.

That said, may I ask you this:
Do you have more time now as opposed to before the technological conveniences?.
Google maps -- free.
Paper maps -- About $5 each. Or more.

Yes, Onstar has failed me...twice out of a hundred times. On the other hand, there is virtually no street or address it cannot find, while a typical map doesn't have MOST streets or businesses. And btw, I was a geography minor in college, and I love maps.

In my last 4 cars, I have never taken each for repairs more than once. I sure couldn't say that about my older cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2017, 10:12 AM

50,787 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Us as children being forced into self-entertainment nurtured critical thinking skills.
Skills millennials are sorely lacking, my 27 yo GF needs a watch to remind her when her smartphone rings.
Sorry. Educator here. Critical thinking skills were not taught in the distant past. More rote memorization.

Old 09-26-2017, 10:19 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,204,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Sorry. Educator here. Critical thinking skills were not taught in the distant past. More rote memorization.
I agree. Schools have never taught critical thinking skills, life does.

Old 09-26-2017, 12:21 PM

1,675 posts, read 576,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by history nerd View Post
I mean... NASA did "go back" five times to be exact.
You don't understand what I said. When I said go back I meant since 1972. They can claim they went to the moon six or a thousand time between 1968 and 1972, it all lies.
I'm not trying to hi-jack the thread but it is just thoughtless faith to think that 50 years ago nasa had the technology and resources to go to the moon, but not now.
Let him you a little bit of knowledge: men will NEVER be able to travel to the moon!

Old 09-26-2017, 12:22 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,958,062 times
In 1990 you wouldn't have been able to ask this question to strangers online or get their opinions. Regarding computers and phones, it depends on what you use them for. I have an 11 year old laptop running Windows XP SP2 which is fine for surfing the net, online shopping, emails and Facebook. I also bought a used HP Z200 desktop on ebay for $200, with an intel i7 3 GHZ processor, a 2GB Video card and Win 10 64bit pro. I bought and installed 16GB of New RAM for another $100. I use it for editing videos which I couldn't do as quickly or as well with the laptop.

I don't even have a cell phone though my wife got a Galaxie smart phone with a bundle from TracFone on CVQ. For less than $200 she has two years of service with texts, data and internet. She rarely uses the internet or data and texts are cheap. I just got 1000 additional texts for $5.

So I think it makes sense to upgrade when there is a reason for it, and it doesn't have to be expensive. On the other hand all my grandkids have iphones and use their phones all day to browse the internet, watch videos, play games, etc. But their parents are paying a lot more for it than I would be willing to.

Quote:
As I sit here using a 12 year old computer with Vista software, I am pondering this question.
Supposedly this non-supported Microsoft product should function very poorly at best.
Yet it only slows down at night, when my poor ISP is at peak usage.
And the cell phones, mine is outdated after only 4 years. My next one will be even more outdated, a waterproof/shock proof flip phone. Smartphones cost as much as laptops now, and I do need a new computer.
Taking into account our destruction of the planet, are we as a society more efficient in 2017 than we were in 1990?.
I think we accomplished more without all the distractions.

Last edited by bobspez; 09-26-2017 at 01:42 PM..

Old 09-26-2017, 12:30 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,939,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
At my work no. The printer was on 24/7. We probably consumed an entire forest worth of paper a day. I had entire drawers full of carbon copies that ended up in some warehouse.
Getting somebody to sign something, meant you got in a company car and drove to their office to physically sign it. Company emails were printed up as memos and somebody had to physically distribute them after printing them.

Getting photos developed meant you had to buy film, drive to a place to develope it, then drive back when it was done, just to find out your vacation pics were blurry.

Watching a movie meant driving to the movie store at least twice (pick up and return). Cars got worse gas mileage.

Airplane tickets were expensive. So was long distance calling. Cell phones were $1 a minute.

Shopping meant driving all over the city looking for a good deal and hoping it was in stock. You paid top dollar for everything because you didn’t have the benefit of cross shopping with the entire world.

Driving with a map was far more of a hassle than driving with a phone.

Getting and receiving paper bills and paying them with checks added to forest consumption. Not green at all.

Oil changes and overall car maintenace was more frequent and generated a lot of waste.

That’s just a few I can think of off the top of my head.
Yet people were less busy and had more free time. Go figure.

Old 09-26-2017, 12:43 PM

4,944 posts, read 3,049,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I am convinced my childhood days of building models and go carts far outweighed my expensive and private education.
These creative endeavors have long been replaced with internet etc. requiring less thought and even less patience.

What happens should technology fail?, as we are now more dependent upon it than in 1990.

Old 09-26-2017, 12:54 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,943,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Yet people were less busy and had more free time. Go figure.
Maybe somebody else did. I sure didn’t.
Technology gives you more free time, i doesn’t take it away unless you want it to.

Old 09-26-2017, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelogo View Post
You don't understand what I said. When I said go back I meant since 1972. They can claim they went to the moon six or a thousand time between 1968 and 1972, it all lies.
I'm not trying to hi-jack the thread but it is just thoughtless faith to think that 50 years ago nasa had the technology and resources to go to the moon, but not now.
Let him you a little bit of knowledge: men will NEVER be able to travel to the moon!

Former NASA employee here. I can very carefully explain exactly how we did and can go to the moon if it wasn’t off topic and if I knew it wouldn’t be a waste of time.

Wait...I see what you did there.
30 years ago I wouldn’t be having this conversation with a stranger on the internet. Thus I would have used this time more productively. Point taken.

Old 09-26-2017, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Oh yes, just look at cell phones for proof of that, I remember when cell phones came out, it seemed like the technology changed weekly, they got smaller and smaller, new features kept us amazed all the time, but then, at a certain point, it all stopped, once we reached the smartphones we have now, the technology has pretty much plateaued, I cant remember the last 'big thing' in cell phones that really made me take notice, they just keep churning out the same basic phones with tiny little changes every year.

Where is the 3D holographic interfaces, pop up holographic keyboards, flexible phones, etc etc?

I believe technology is being suppressed when it comes to cell phones and probably everything else to some degree. There comes a point in technology where it must be suppressed or it would become 'too beneficial' to the little guy, a good example is the invisibility cloak, they have been working on this for awhile and recently I saw they had created a fairly decent one, but this is something they can NEVER allow the public to have, if they did it would be a disaster for law enforcement, when people could just go buy one of these and then go rob 10 banks, since they would be invisible, they could never pin it on them.

There are many other areas of technology where the same logic applies, the public will never see it if its 'too good'.

Interesting reading about the INvention Secrecy act of 1951, this gives the details of what Im talking about.
Phones are running out of innovations because all the low hanging fruit has been picked clean. Fancier stuff will require a lot more investment, more expense, and little practical value.
Computers stalled out a few years ago.
Cars went decades with minimal advancements and now improvements are coming so fast cars from 4 years ago feel outdated.
Airplanes rapidly advanced till about the mid ‘50s and now they’re pretty much the same thing just more fuel efficient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates