Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 06:47 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,054,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
For some reason it seems many social conservatives feel we need to just roll the clocks back to the 1880's,like they were the good old days or something. People want to be called christians and smack around the idea of jesus and god and what not, yet are the first ones to be running around saying "taking care of number 1".
Boy is that the truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2010, 06:51 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,307,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
If parents want the power to decide whether or not their teen can have an abortion, they should also be forced to pay to raise the child that is born until the age of eighteen without any help from the government.

Guess what, lady???? There are a LOT of grandparents already doing it ~ way more than there should be ~ well past 18! And every damn one of the cases that I know of are due to the parent(s) of the child being involved with drugs, crime, or just plain promiscuity. Some of them don't mind stepping up to the plate, others are resentful. As I've told them all, past 18 they're not obligated. But they're caught in the web for the safety and security of the children involved.

Maybe all teenagers should be sewn up and castrated.

Old 10-01-2010, 07:09 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,054,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
Guess what, lady???? There are a LOT of grandparents already doing it ~ way more than there should be ~ well past 18! And every damn one of the cases that I know of are due to the parent(s) of the child being involved with drugs, crime, or just plain promiscuity. Some of them don't mind stepping up to the plate, others are resentful. As I've told them all, past 18 they're not obligated. But they're caught in the web for the safety and security of the children involved.

Guess what? There are a lot of parents that don't take care of their children or grandchildren...........so what it your point?

When parents fail, society ends up picking up the pieces, that is reality. Why do you think the foster care system is so bloated that the case workers can't even keep up with it?

Old 10-01-2010, 07:16 PM

3,966 posts, read 6,865,348 times
Quote:

Boy you seem to travel in quite a lot of social circles and are just a regular ball of sunshine are't you? All the teen parents you know are non responsive drug addicts who steal for a living and sleep around. Who pawn the kids off on the grandparents while i guess giggling with glee. And every person you know on welfare is nothing more then a dead beat loser who doesn't really want to work. Gee i wonder which political party you support. Well i have both voulunteered to counsel teen mothers and at pp....and i can tell you most of those kids try harder then you seem to think...and a few of them work on welfare,,,,but many are going back to school. And wow nice advice to them...past 18 you are not obligated....you must be a real peach of a parent. I can imagine your kids having trouble and you sptting out that gem at them.

Old 10-01-2010, 07:49 PM

305 posts, read 655,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I am really torn over this question. The argument against parental notification for an abortion as a result of incest or rape is a compelling one. However, when I was the parent of a minor child, if my daughter couldn't get her ear's pierced without my permission I am having a hard time rationalizing that she could have an operation as invasive as an abortion without my knowledge of consent.
Because the alternative to having your ears pierced is...not having your ears pierced. No further damage. Nothing changes, nothing happens.

Having to carry a child to term and give birth under force on the other hand is assault, at the very least.

Old 10-01-2010, 08:43 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,307,727 times
Quote:
You must be a real peach of a parent. I can imagine your kids having trouble and you sptting out that gem at them.

My daughter died at 18. While she did not bring home news of pregnancy she had other problems that we all had to content with until she reached 17 or so. And, y'know, she would have told you that I was a gem in her eyes despite thinking some real expletives a few years earlier. Mine was a tough-love home but with soft-love to balance ~ but I had some stiff boundaries.

Old 10-01-2010, 08:49 PM

3,966 posts, read 6,865,348 times
Quote:
My daughter died at 18. While she did not bring home news of pregnancy she had other problems that we all had to content with until she reached 17 or so. And, y'know, she would have told you that I was a gem in her eyes despite thinking some real expletives a few years earlier. Mine was a tough-love home but with soft-love to balance ~ but I had some stiff boundaries.

Maybe she would and maybe she wouldn't who can say...my point was no to call question to your parenting skills but your seemingly perceived bias towards anyone with problems.

Old 10-01-2010, 09:08 PM

30,898 posts, read 36,980,033 times
Quote:
No i don't think there should be. Considering parents have no say if the child decides to keep the baby no matter the age, and you are forced to help out. And they have no say in the child giving their baby up for adoption, then why should there be a law treating abortion as any different. Also i feel often this will push teenage girls to bend to outside forces even if they don't want to keep the child.
The fact that parents have no say whether their underage children can keep their kids or not, doesn't convince me of anything.

I think parents have the right to decide whether or not their underage children can get abortions, or whether or not they can give their kids up for adoption.

We don't let minors drink alcohol, rent cars, etc. yet we think it's ok for them to pop out kids or get abortions with no parental say in the matter

Old 10-01-2010, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Absolutely not!!! As a "staunch conservative," I happen to believe strongly in abortion. In fact, I believe its one area in "healthcare" my tax dollar SHOULD be used to fund. Like it or not, there is strong evidence to show, Roe V Wade, has reduced crime in United States. Personally, I think more people should have abortions; they should be made more readily available and condoned. Not sanctioned.
Actually the evidence for that is pretty thin. The study you're talking about was referred to in the book Freakonomics. The conclusion: Legalized abortion reduced crime, but only by a small amount and it was a very crude method of doing so.

Old 10-01-2010, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
. Maybe more adoption support would be another avenue we should explore as a way of addressing this situation.
That's what I'm thinking. Once abortion became legal, adoption almost completely dropped off the radar as a viable choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates