Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 12:58 PM

11,489 posts, read 11,195,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Absolutely not!!! As a "staunch conservative," I happen to believe strongly in abortion. In fact, I believe its one area in "healthcare" my tax dollar SHOULD be used to fund. Personally, I think more people should have abortions; they should be made more readily available and condoned. Not sanctioned.
Newsflash for ya Phil..... If this is truly your attitude, there is NOTHING "staunch conservative" about you.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but does a child not need a guardian to sign off when going to see a doctor? Minors are not allowed to enter into contracts. So, why is it that a child, who may not even be mentally capable to make this type of decision, can do so with no consent from an adult? This is a major event. Or could it be because that abortions are paid by the tax payers in this country, and there is no billing address needed.... If the family was responsible to pick up the tab, I GUARANTEE it would be required for a parent or guardian to sign off on it. It is ALWAYS all about the money. They get paid either way, so it is a non-issue.

As Americans, we have downplayed this to mean very little. As a parent, you would not feel it is your right to know if a doctor is operating on your child? If your answer is "NO", I truly question the integrity of the people in this nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2010, 02:00 PM

8,286 posts, read 38,880,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valene1992 View Post
should abortion for underage children require parental consent?

and as well does anyone know where online i can find an article by a philosopher, or psyhchologist to support your opinion on whether or not you agree or disagree
Philosophy 105 - Ethics?

Discussion group leader just handed out the first assignment?

A person who has not achieved majority age does not have the right to enter contracts, own property or make their own medical decisions. All contractual authority resides with the guardian until majority age is attained. If a child goes to the emergency room for stitches a guardian must authorize treatment; the child can not do so for him/herself. What is so special about abortion that guardianship should be suspended?

Old 09-30-2010, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
I remember reading a book years ago on sex abuse in which a 13 year old girl was forced by her parents to give birth to her rape baby....and make her give it up for adoption to them.
This is an extreme case that would warrant special consideration and a judge would need to determine whether limited emancipation was appropriate. That isn't suitable fodder for creating generally applied laws.

Old 09-30-2010, 11:48 PM

10,228 posts, read 16,358,368 times
YES! Children are not adults ~ their parents are still responsible for them!

Schools have provided condoms for students, which is NOT their function! They are NOT the parents!

Copies of medical records (mental evaluations, for example) are never released to the parents, although the parents are the ones who pay for them and are the ones responsible.

So my point is, is that parental roles are getting picked away little by little in American families. May as well drop legal age laws down to 12 and completely relieve parents of the damned-if-you-do/damned-if-you-don't doom.

And in response to a "conservative poster" regarding abortion. . . Personally, I don't care if abortion is legalized or not. Go ahead, I say. BUT NOT ON MY TAX DOLLAR! If it's legalized then I want the responsible party to pay for it herself. I see no need to pay for a girl's abortion just because she couldn't keep her legs closed.

Old 10-01-2010, 07:18 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,889,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
Newsflash for ya Phil..... If this is truly your attitude, there is NOTHING "staunch conservative" about you.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but does a child not need a guardian to sign off when going to see a doctor? Minors are not allowed to enter into contracts. So, why is it that a child, who may not even be mentally capable to make this type of decision, can do so with no consent from an adult? This is a major event. Or could it be because that abortions are paid by the tax payers in this country, and there is no billing address needed.... If the family was responsible to pick up the tab, I GUARANTEE it would be required for a parent or guardian to sign off on it. It is ALWAYS all about the money. They get paid either way, so it is a non-issue.

As Americans, we have downplayed this to mean very little. As a parent, you would not feel it is your right to know if a doctor is operating on your child? If your answer is "NO", I truly question the integrity of the people in this nation.

Really and the tax payers will also be forced to pay for her to help raise that child too won't they, or her parents will have to help foot the bill? Seems to me your argument is a bit faulty in that end since in the end the cost is much more And no it is not your or my right because it is her body not yours....you have no say if she keeps the child or gives it up for adoption, so why should you have a say if she wants abortion?

Last edited by paganmama80; 10-01-2010 at 07:36 AM..

Old 10-01-2010, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
This is an extreme case that would warrant special consideration and a judge would need to determine whether limited emancipation was appropriate. That isn't suitable fodder for creating generally applied laws.

And if you have a conservative judge who decides it doesn't matter and she goes past the date she can have one? A womans right to give birth is her OWN descion....not her parents and not a judges. And a girl should not be forced to go through the trauma of a rape to be told "well i have decided young lady you have to have the child anyway"....do you have any clue what that would do to her mentally?

Old 10-01-2010, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
YES! Children are not adults ~ their parents are still responsible for them!

Schools have provided condoms for students, which is NOT their function! They are NOT the parents!

Copies of medical records (mental evaluations, for example) are never released to the parents, although the parents are the ones who pay for them and are the ones responsible.

So my point is, is that parental roles are getting picked away little by little in American families. May as well drop legal age laws down to 12 and completely relieve parents of the damned-if-you-do/damned-if-you-don't doom.

And in response to a "conservative poster" regarding abortion. . . Personally, I don't care if abortion is legalized or not. Go ahead, I say. BUT NOT ON MY TAX DOLLAR! If it's legalized then I want the responsible party to pay for it herself. I see no need to pay for a girl's abortion just because she couldn't keep her legs closed.

Most people do pay for it themselves. And schools passing out condoms is the right of the school....because as you say BUT NOT ON MY TAX DOLLAR! Well what do you think happens to many of those girls who have unproteced sex and have to get on the dole? Yep you guessed it your tax dollars pay for her to get on her feet. Sex is not a parental matter....it's a matter of public health. And given the fact in this country many parents would rather bury their heads in the sand then teach their kids about safe sex. Then as a society it is out duty to step in.

Old 10-01-2010, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I'm torn also. If telling the parents isn't an option I do have to wonder why. After that, I think about what other adults in the child's life could potentially take responsibility. If there is no one, then I don't see any other way besides making the "responsibly party" the minor and the Dr.

We do have incredibly strange and mixed rules and regulations about minor, rights, and responsibility in the country. Perhaps instead of focusing on this particular issue we should be looking at the the entire under-18 v. over-18 idea.

But yet they have no say if she decides to keep the child or give it up for adoption. You are right the laws we have in this country are sometimes mixed and baffling.

Old 10-01-2010, 08:52 AM

Quote:
And if you have a conservative judge who decides it doesn't matter and she goes past the date she can have one? A womans right to give birth is her OWN descion....not her parents and not a judges. And a girl should not be forced to go through the trauma of a rape to be told "well i have decided young lady you have to have the child anyway"....do you have any clue what that would do to her mentally?
A sixteen year old is not a WOMAN and does not have the right to make her own decisions. Abortion should be legal (that's beyond debate as far as I'm concerned), but a child of minority age should NOT be able to elect to undergo the procedure without the joinder of her guardian or some other legal process.

Old 10-01-2010, 09:27 AM

10,228 posts, read 16,358,368 times
Quote:
Most people do pay for it themselves. And schools passing out condoms is the right of the school....because as you say BUT NOT ON MY TAX DOLLAR! Well what do you think happens to many of those girls who have unproteced sex and have to get on the dole? Yep you guessed it your tax dollars pay for her to get on her feet. Sex is not a parental matter....it's a matter of public health. And given the fact in this country many parents would rather bury their heads in the sand then teach their kids about safe sex. Then as a society it is out duty to step in.
I don't buy it. Kids know damn well how babies are made. When I was in high school I was so terrified of getting knocked up that I kept my legs crossed, and it worked for me.

Teens have always had access to condoms long before schools thought it was their RIGHT to administer them. And no, I don't think it the right of educational institutions, based on many levels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates