Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 08:50 PM

1,303 posts, read 3,857,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
The downtown areas of both Columbus and Macon look eerily similar, I'll tell you that. Downtown Augusta doesn't look too different, either. I don't know what's the deal with those extra-wide boulevards with sidewalks and fountains going down the middle. Must be a Georgia thing, LOL.
Yeah those extra wide boulevards actually stimy downtown vitality and pedestrian activity. It's better to have more narrow streets.. they are more pedestrian friendly...plus they create a more intimate setting more conducive to al fresco dining and street festivals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2009, 09:50 PM

841 posts, read 1,402,267 times
Quote:
The downtown areas of both Columbus and Macon look eerily similar, I'll tell you that. Downtown Augusta doesn't look too different, either. I don't know what's the deal with those extra-wide boulevards with sidewalks and fountains going down the middle. Must be a Georgia thing, LOL.
DT Columbus and Macon are not that similar to me...... DT Macon and Augusta seems more similar.

Columbus

Augusta

Macon

Savannah

Old 04-15-2009, 09:59 PM

notice how dense downtown savannah is. you don't see lots of open parking lots like you do in downtown Augusta, Macon and Columbus. Density is really the key to downtown vibrancy. having a couple of buildings over 15 stories doesn't mean a thing if the majority of downtown has gaps and voids like parking lots and empty lots

Old 04-15-2009, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmusket View Post
notice how dense downtown savannah is. you don't see lots of open parking lots like you do in downtown Augusta, Macon and Columbus. Density is really the key to downtown vibrancy. having a couple of buildings over 15 stories doesn't mean a thing if the majority of downtown has gaps and voids like parking lots and empty lots
Well density is great, when it doesn't cause problems.....From the pics it tells you something, if Savannah has a lot less parking and more density, that means that parking could be or is a huge issue for DT and serves no positive purpose but Chaos.....

Old 04-15-2009, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtownMacon View Post
Well density is great, when it doesn't cause problems.....From the pics it tells you something, if Savannah has a lot less parking and more density, that means that parking could be or is a huge issue for DT and serves no positive purpose but Chaos.....
Doesn't matter if you have tons of parking if the spaces are empty. I can think of very few vibrant city centers that are full of open air parking lots. Of the four cities in the photos, Savannah has by far the most vibrant and busy downtown... and having to hunt a little longer for a parking space is a price I'm willing to pay for a vibrant downtown.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Doesn't matter if you have tons of parking if the spaces are empty. I can think of very few vibrant city centers that are full of open air parking lots. Of the four cities in the photos, Savannah has by far the most vibrant and busy downtown... and having to hunt a little longer for a parking space is a price I'm willing to pay for a vibrant downtown.
Well thats the first i heard of that.. because most people hate cities with parking problems.....

Old 04-16-2009, 10:11 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,869,796 times
Quote:
Yeah those extra wide boulevards actually stimy downtown vitality and pedestrian activity. It's better to have more narrow streets.. they are more pedestrian friendly...plus they create a more intimate setting more conducive to al fresco dining and street festivals.
Precisely, I agree. But the upside is that as the city grows and downtown becomes busier, you can extend the sidewalks, add bike lanes, possibly dedicated bus lanes, still have a planted median--all without significantly hindering vehicle capacity. But as of right now, I bet the linear parks within the medians are hardly used.

Old 04-16-2009, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Well thats the first i heard of that.. because most people hate cities with parking problems.....
Not really. They just hate the fact that the city has a parking problem. But most cities like that have convenient mass transit options anyway. Washington, DC is perfect example here.

And I doubt if parking is really that hard in Savannah if you're willing to park in a garage and/or walk a few blocks. It tends to be that way in Charleston so I'm guessing that it isn't too different in Savannah.

Old 04-16-2009, 10:16 AM

Quote:
DT Columbus and Macon are not that similar to me...... DT Macon and Augusta seems more similar.

Columbus

Augusta

Macon

Savannah

Actually, judging from those aerials, Augusta and Columbus seem more similar, at least in terms of layout with downtown bordering a river.

Old 04-16-2009, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Actually, judging from those aerials, Augusta and Columbus seem more similar, at least in terms of layout with downtown bordering a river.
Well It you had any knowledge of the Ga's 2nd tier cities, you would know that all of their Downtown areas borders a river.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia