Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 09:28 PM

9 posts, read 24,634 times

Advertisements

We are moving from PA. I have a son. We are African American professionals. Our sons thrives on sports. We need a full contact youth football league- I seen alot of flag football leaguesm,but he would be coming from full contact. I also want to make sure that he goes to a good school. He is an honor student in advanced classes here. We light to have the convience of city living (stores, food, movies) without the headache of big city living. I want to make the best of this move for all of us. Please help!!!

Last edited by ladyburke_2003; 12-28-2007 at 10:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2007, 06:53 AM

511 posts, read 2,477,978 times
You should be prepared to get fifty million different opinions by fifty million different people on these two cities. These fifty million people will consist of some people who dont know a single thing about the two cities outside of reading the census bureau report. It always best you visit these towns in person before you make your move if at all possible, if not try getting several sources instead of this one site. Sources like realator reviews, history of the cities, overall direction of the cities, try reading the local newspapers ( which can be seen in there entirty over the internet ).

www.Macon.com
www.Ledger-Enquirer.com

Old 12-29-2007, 10:39 AM

177 posts, read 221,858 times
Out of those 2 cities, I would choose Columbus hands down over Macon (and I am a real estate professional selling property throughout Georgia, Eastern Alabama, and North Florida)....trust me...you dont want to come to Macon.

Old 12-29-2007, 02:04 PM
JLA

627 posts, read 2,188,225 times
Columbus/Muscogee County has a very good public recreation system. Contact football is very popular here in this area (Columbus; Harris County, GA; Russel and Lee Counties, AL). This area has a long rich history of sports from grade school up to pro level. We have some very good public and private schools. If you are looking for one of the best schools from Pre-K to 12th grades, then Brookstone is by far one of the best schools in the state of GA, but it's a private school and it's expensive. http://www.brookstoneschool.org/
I Hope this help.

Old 12-29-2007, 05:04 PM

3,709 posts, read 4,630,465 times
I believe northern Bibb County would be a great place for African American professionals. I would recommend investing in the real estate of northern Bibb or extreme southern Monroe County and possibly driving your child into the city to Mount de Sales private school, which is 27% minority. I think you will find quite a niche to live here, with wonderful forested neighborhoods throughout the north side and Macon having lots of like-minded black professionals.

I do not recommend the Columbus-Brookstone combination, unless you are accustomed to being part of a 7% minority population.

Old 12-29-2007, 08:25 PM

9 posts, read 24,634 times
Where is that county. If I am looking for a residence what do I look under? Columbus? What grade does middle school start in GA? Thanks for all your help.

Old 12-29-2007, 11:06 PM
JLA

627 posts, read 2,188,225 times
You can search Columbus or Muscogee County, both searches should return the same results. Columbus and Muscogee County are consolidated into one government. Columbus is located in West Central GA on the Chattahoochee River adjacent to the Alabama boarder. Middle school generally starts at the 7th grade, but there might be some schools that have included the 6th grade as part of the middle school. I think Columbus might have some in both categories. If my memory is correct, your son will not be able to play middle school football until the 8th grade; until then he can play in the Pop Warner, Pee Wee or Jr. Pee Wee leagues. My other suggestion that might facilitate your search will be to contact any local chapters of fraternities or sororities that you might be a member of in the Columbus area.

Old 12-30-2007, 07:04 AM

511 posts, read 2,477,978 times
I can only go by the middle portion of the state, because around here its starts at 6th grade there is talk of throwing the 9 th graders with middle school but I doubt it wil happen.

Old 12-30-2007, 03:56 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,037,446 times
I would suggest Columbus over Macon.. I think alot of ppl on here will tell you the same thing.

Old 12-30-2007, 04:13 PM

3,709 posts, read 4,630,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyburke_2003 View Post
Where is that county. If I am looking for a residence what do I look under? Columbus? What grade does middle school start in GA? Thanks for all your help.

Bibb County's seat of government is Macon. Remember, I am specifically recommending northern Bibb or southern Monroe (south of Forsyth and Bolingbroke, Georgia).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia