Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 09:55 AM

934 posts, read 1,347,403 times

Advertisements

With the current state of the economy, is this project dead in the water? And if so who is the biggest loser?(Columbus, Macon or Augusta)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 02:33 PM

42 posts, read 90,549 times
The National Highway system is the past, most states and cities are leaning more towards rail projects. I would say it is pretty much dead. It may have some limited access sections in the future but I don't think it would be along the lines of I-20 or I-16, East/ West Interstates in Georgia at least until populations or trade increases. I-3 is more of a priority for the state, and that greatly depends on Savannah harbor being deepened thus creating and demand for it as an alternative North/ South corridor that avoids Atlanta and its already clogged interstate system.

Old 02-01-2011, 03:14 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,159,198 times
In the short run, definitely. In the long run, it depends on whether there can be a cost justification for completing Montgomery and Auburn with Columbus, and Macon and Savannah. Not sure if it exists right now, though. But at least there ought to be a continuous four-lane highway between Auburn, Columbus, and Macon.

Old 02-01-2011, 04:17 PM

52 posts, read 94,719 times
I think if these states along with those continue to push it just may get to moving.
Texas
Strategic Highway
North Carolina
Future Future NC Interstates?

Old 02-05-2011, 08:12 AM

5,616 posts, read 8,655,794 times
Found this interesting. This has been proposed.

Old 02-06-2011, 08:59 AM

2,399 posts, read 4,219,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southernbill View Post
The National Highway system is the past, most states and cities are leaning more towards rail projects. I would say it is pretty much dead. It may have some limited access sections in the future but I don't think it would be along the lines of I-20 or I-16, East/ West Interstates in Georgia at least until populations or trade increases. I-3 is more of a priority for the state, and that greatly depends on Savannah harbor being deepened thus creating and demand for it as an alternative North/ South corridor that avoids Atlanta and its already clogged interstate system.
I-3 (what a stupid designation, considering that should be west of I-5 on the Pacific coastline) makes less sense. Oh yes, getting people from Savannah to Augusta, a relatively easy drive along US highways, makes more sense than connecting all three of the fall line cities. To go from Columbus to Augusta, there is no interstate connection, unless you travel north to Atlanta and then east to Augusta. The Fall-Line cities would "possibly" benefit economically from a set-up, and it would "likely" bring greater investment into the state.

However, I really don't desire any more major highways, for I can't stand seeing beautiful forest land plowed over for development, that only encourages later plowing down of more forests. This nation has done enough destruction of natural forest land, either for agriculture of commercial and residential development, and we really don't need anymore. Areas from south of the Atlanta metro to the fall line cities, and east of the Atlanta metro to Augusta, represent some of the most forested land in the state, outside of the Blue Ridge mountainous region. We don't need it destroyed. Southwest Georgia's forested land is so broken up with farms, it can hardly be said to be contiguous. Southeast Georgia has lots of forests near the coast southwestward to around the Okefenokee Swamp. However, the rest of it is in a patchwork quilt pattern, mixed with large farms growing cotton. West Georgia is heavily forested, roughly the area flanking US Highway 27 from Trenton to just north of Columbus, minus a few cities. Northeast Georgia south of the mountains has some large swaths of forest land, but it also has lots and lots of farms to break up the natural forest land.

Thus, there's really only four big contiguous sections of the state that are forested:

1) Chattahoochee National Forest (Mountains)

2) South and East of Metro Atlanta to Fall Line Cities

3) Coastal Southeast Georgia

4) Western Flank of Georgia (Highway 27)

Old 02-06-2011, 09:13 AM

1,531 posts, read 3,101,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
I-3 (what a stupid designation, considering that should be west of I-5 on the Pacific coastline) makes less sense. Oh yes, getting people from Savannah to Augusta, a relatively easy drive along US highways, makes more sense than connecting all three of the fall line cities.

Yes it does make more sense. Savannah & Augusta are more closely linked economically & militarily. And no, it's FAR from a relatively easy drive between the two cities.

You do understand the purpose of an interstate highway, don't you? It's to move commercial & MILITARY vehicles rapidly from one point to another. Casual, civilian transport is an afterthought. As Savannah's port is a major overseas deployment point for the Army, it makes sense to link Augusta's Ft. Gordon to Savannah. Also, aside from Atlanta, most goods that flow to & from the Savannah port from within Georgia come from the Augusta area.

I-3 was a suggestion made to use the highway to honor the (former) 3rd Infantry Division at Ft. Stewart.

There is no need to link the three fall line cities. Augusta doesn't need to be directly linked to Columbus, for any reason. I would say that I-16 should be extended west from Macon to Columbus, and possibly ending at I-85 near Auburn. THAT makes more sense!

Old 02-06-2011, 09:19 AM

2,399 posts, read 4,219,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 912 View Post
Yes it does make more sense. Savannah & Augusta are more closely linked economically & militarily. And no, it's FAR from a relatively easy drive between the two cities.
Georgia Highway 21 to US 301. Savannah and Augusta are closer to one another than Macon to Augusta, or Columbus to Augusta.

Quote:
You do understand the purpose of an interstate highway, don't you? It's to move commercial & MILITARY vehicles rapidly from one point to another. Casual, civilian transport is an afterthought. As Savannah's port is a major overseas deployment point for the Army, it makes sense to link Augusta's Ft. Gordon to Savannah. Also, aside from Atlanta, most goods that flow to & from the Savannah port from within Georgia come from the Augusta area.
Yes. I know why the interstate system was constructed, but is serves the purpose of individual travel between regions these days. It's not only for the military or commerce.

Quote:
I-3 was a suggestion made to use the highway to honor the (former) 3rd Infantry Division at Ft. Stewart.
It's still a stupid idea. It would stick out. Like, "why in the world is there an I-3 on the east coast".

Quote:
There is no need to link the three fall line cities. Augusta doesn't need to be directly linked to Columbus, for any reason. I would say that I-16 should be extended west from Macon to Columbus, and possibly ending at I-85 near Auburn. THAT makes more sense!
I didn't say that it needed to happen, only that it made more sense to me than the "I-3" proposal.

Old 02-06-2011, 09:23 AM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,508 posts, read 15,107,847 times
While Columbus, Macon, and Augusta should be connected in the future... I think I-3 would have tons of more daily traffic... Whether the route goes from Augusta to Knoxville near I-40 and I-75, somewhere in South Carolina, or to Athens and stopping in Dalton at I-75... The study on I-3 is supposed to be completed this year...

The city with the second largest GDP and metro population should have a faster route to the the third largest GDP and metro population in the state .... The port of Savannah can make Augusta a well knowed southern distribution center... At the same time making the city of Savannah have a busier port..

Last edited by nortonguy; 02-06-2011 at 09:36 AM..

Old 02-06-2011, 09:41 AM

1,531 posts, read 3,101,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
Georgia Highway 21 to US 301. Savannah and Augusta are closer to one another than Macon to Augusta, or Columbus to Augusta.

Yes. I know why the interstate system was constructed, but is serves the purpose of individual travel between regions these days. It's not only for the military or commerce.

It's still a stupid idea. It would stick out. Like, "why in the world is there an I-3 on the east coast".

I didn't say that it needed to happen, only that it made more sense to me than the "I-3" proposal.

Your responses show me you didn't understand the salient points I made. Also, US 301 does not lead to Augusta.

The fact that you don't understand why it would be named "I-3", even though I just described why, makes me question your ability to understand simple concepts. I mean, seriously...IS there a valid need for anyone to drive from Augusta to Macon?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia