Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 03:51 PM

998 posts, read 1,551,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaduchman View Post
Does anyone really care? From the drawing board to final chip sealing takes 7 to 10 years.

You can put in light rail in half the time for less than 1M per mile.

Light rail is a waste of time and money. People don't want to ride trains in the southeast, maybe in the northeast... They want to drive their car and exit when/where they want to along the way to their destination. Light rail has been nothing but financial trouble in city lines across america as well as Amtrak for years. Why would that change now?

It just won't take off in the Southeast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 04:10 PM

934 posts, read 1,347,636 times
Whats up with this obsession with rail? Whats wrong with driving somewhere?

Anyway, I-3-and I-14 would both benefit Georgia in some compacity without a doubt. But wouldnt I-14 do GA more justice as a whole, freeing up the the flow of traffic, connecting cities that could become partners in growth etc.....

Old 02-11-2011, 04:16 PM

19 posts, read 43,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by River_Dawg View Post

Anyway, I-3-and I-14 would both benefit Georgia in some compacity without a doubt. But wouldnt I-14 do GA more justice as a whole, freeing up the the flow of traffic, connecting cities that could become partners in growth etc.....
No I-14 would be just as dead as I-16 another stretch of lonely interstate.

Old 02-11-2011, 04:45 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,213,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by River_Dawg View Post
Why rail?
Many reasons - not the least that electric traction rail uses 1/20 the energy per passenger / mile as an automobile.
And that a single rail has the theoretical carrying capacity of 9 lanes of superhighway.

Why not drive?
[] The Age of cheap and plentiful oil is over.
[] Highway capacity does not scale up to handle increased population on finite surface area.
[] Inefficient.

I stipulate that there is a need for parallel development of urban rail and high population density housing served by urban rail, and until that is satisfied, the automobile will be the only option. But as the cost goes ever upward, it will soon be unsustainable.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...nitiative.html

Old 02-11-2011, 06:53 PM

934 posts, read 1,347,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Why rail?

Why not drive?
[] The Age of cheap and plentiful oil is over.
[] Highway capacity does not scale up to handle increased population on finite surface area.
[] Inefficient.

I stipulate that there is a need for parallel development of urban rail and high population density housing served by urban rail, and until that is satisfied, the automobile will be the only option. But as the cost goes ever upward, it will soon be unsustainable.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...nitiative.html
Southern culture- get in your car and drive yourself

Old 02-11-2011, 07:07 PM

998 posts, read 1,551,083 times
It's not going to work in the south, I'm telling you. I don't know anyone who has used amtrak or even considered it... This is what Washington is trying to force down our throats now.

Theoretical; (definition): existing only in theory.

Is this theory? Is this opinion? Or is there more substance to it? Because before we sink (and I mean sink) Billions of dollars into a rail system that will be just as successful as amtrak is now ... let's not pull another global warming scenario playing out in which the scientist involved in the claim were proven to be lying in their reports. Let's have some facts. In a day, there is no way a single rail line from Columbus-Augusta or Savannah-Knoxville could transport as much people/commerce as it's 9 lane counterpart. There's just no way.

Traffic continually flows on an interstate and a train comes through how often exactly? That's the spin to try to make rail look comparable. If a train is continuously running in a loop... then maybe. But i've never heard of a train that's 800 miles long (knoxville-savannah and back), has no beginning or end and connects to it's own caboose by way of it's lead engine.

It's just not possible for that to be correct.

Old 02-12-2011, 10:58 AM

375 posts, read 1,381,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tckr83 View Post
Light rail is a waste of time and money. People don't want to ride trains in the southeast, maybe in the northeast... They want to drive their car and exit when/where they want to along the way to their destination. Light rail has been nothing but financial trouble in city lines across america as well as Amtrak for years. Why would that change now?

It just won't take off in the Southeast.
Baloney!

1M/mile for light rail and $4-6M for heavy rail. Since no one is doing heavy rail anymore and there's no reason for it, light rail is the cheapest form of mass transit.

Cheap oil is your past - your next fillup is going to be $6/gal by this time next year. Fuel oil, by comparison is far cheaper when purchased for diesel electric train companies - not Amtrak. Private industry does it more efficiently than any govt anything.

Old 02-12-2011, 11:00 AM

375 posts, read 1,381,782 times
Trains and trucks run 24/7 everywhere. Flatbed railcars take your produce trailers from Savannah today and it's in LA on Tuesday - still fresh for a Vons or Safeway store

Old 02-12-2011, 11:02 AM

2,399 posts, read 4,219,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthEastSouthWest View Post
No I-14 would be just as dead as I-16 another stretch of lonely interstate.
Nearly everyone who drives from Atlanta to Savannah, Hilton Head, and the Georgia Coast drives by way of I-16. To call it "dead" is a bit misleading. While it is less traveled than other interstates throughout the state, it isn't a multi-state interstate, but is intrastate, which from the start is going to generate less travel.

Old 02-12-2011, 01:11 PM

52 posts, read 94,741 times
The debate over which interstate should be completed or completed first and which would benefit GA the most can be argued forever with a coalition against the Savannah-Knoxville interstate " stop interstate 3 " and the current state of the economy I doubt it would be built in our lifetime. An Augusta-Columbus interstate via Macon has no real opposition though I personally feel this Highway will do little to boost the economies of either city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia