Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 07:31 PM

1,327 posts, read 1,912,498 times

Advertisements

This is just an idea, but what would you think if there was an interstate from Huntsville AL to Augusta GA, I have attached the idea course which would use already existing routes like interstate 59 and 75 to connect the two cities. What do you think about this idea?
Attached Thumbnails
Interstate X-interstate-x.png  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2012, 09:32 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpatt.marine1 View Post
This is just an idea, but what would you think if there was an interstate from Huntsville AL to Augusta GA, I have attached the idea course which would use already existing routes like interstate 59 and 75 to connect the two cities. What do you think about this idea?
I think it would be best to have an interstate that directly connects Huntsville and Atlanta (join I-20 or I-75 somewhere in outer/middle Metro Atlanta).

This would connect Huntsville with Augusta--by way of the Capital of the American South (which would really benefit Huntsville).

Old 05-20-2012, 11:35 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpatt.marine1 View Post
Looks like it passes east of Athens. Don't bulldoze my place.

Old 05-21-2012, 05:36 AM

3,709 posts, read 5,987,701 times
Yikes...more traffic on 24 through downtown Chattanooga?

I'm an Atlantan, and I still don't understand how people in Chattanooga tolerate that road. In the sporadic times I've passed through that place, those are some of the worst traffic jams I've ever seen.

Old 05-21-2012, 01:06 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,860,718 times
I think the proposed Interstate 3 from Savannah to Augusta and then thru the mountains to Knoxville should go to Augusta and then take broad arc thru northern Georgia and go on to Huntsville. It could then continue along Northern Alabama and eventually end up at Memphis.

Proposed route: Savannah to Augusta to Athens to Gainesville to Rome to Huntsville (bypass Chattanooga altogether) then overlay 565 then connect Decatur, Florence, Muscle Shoals and then on west along the Mississippi/Tennessee line to Memphis.

The biggest NIMBY protests for Interstate 3 have come from mountain areas. this would skirt the southern end of the Blue Ridge in N. GA and provide an alternative route around Atlanta now that the Outer Perimeter is shuttered.

Interstate 3 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-21-2012, 09:42 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,157,618 times
Personally I'd rather see an east bypass of Chattanooga.

Old 05-21-2012, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
Personally I'd rather see an east bypass of Chattanooga.
I once saw a proposal (can't remember where, but maybe someone had a link on this site) to extend I-81 south to the FL panhandle. It would overlay 75 from Knoxville to the Athens/Cleveland TN area then would split south to Dalton (which would make your eastern bypass of Chattanooga) then cross over west of 75 to Rome and follow the old path of the once proposed West Georgia Tollroad, running down the western part of the state, would overlay 185 to Columbus and then to either an eastern leg to Bainbridge and Tallahassee OR more westerly to Dothan, AL and then Panama City.

Imagine this, my idea above for Interstate 3 along with the proposed Interstate 14 (which would run from Augusta to Macon to Columbus and on to Natchez, MS) and you would have a complete triangle which cross state traffic could avoid Atlanta on all sides. I think the state needs all of these roads. 75 and 85 could certainly use the relief and big rigs travelling cross country could avoid Atlanta, easing local traffic.

Old 05-26-2012, 08:20 AM

2,118 posts, read 6,376,611 times
You know such an interstate would be a time saver for me but I'm not really in favor of proceeding with any new interstates until we have high speed rail.

See, interstates have become clogged with 18 wheelers and 85 year olds dragging their mobile hotel rooms with them across the country and really aren't an efficient means of transport for the average person trying to get from one place to another across this vast land.

More roads equals more maintenance. More maintenance equals more taxes.

We need to figure out how to do more with what we have. Building bypasses and endless freeways, especially when they cut through fairly pristine areas like the N.Ga mountains, is not the answer.

Old 05-27-2012, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
You know such an interstate would be a time saver for me but I'm not really in favor of proceeding with any new interstates until we have high speed rail.

See, interstates have become clogged with 18 wheelers and 85 year olds dragging their mobile hotel rooms with them across the country and really aren't an efficient means of transport for the average person trying to get from one place to another across this vast land.

More roads equals more maintenance. More maintenance equals more taxes.

We need to figure out how to do more with what we have. Building bypasses and endless freeways, especially when they cut through fairly pristine areas like the N.Ga mountains, is not the answer.
I would love high speed rail, don't get me wrong. But when the exorbitant cost of it can be rationalized vs. the cost of roads for long distance travel, your argument about more taxes will gain a shred of credibility.

Old 05-27-2012, 01:51 AM

704 posts, read 936,406 times
Google Maps driving directions From Huntsville, AL to Adairsville, GA looks like it would make an ideal Interstate Route.

Maybe then GA would extend it to Canton - Cumming - Buford creating that Outer Perimeter Northern Arc they have been talking about for decades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia