Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2008, 05:48 PM

2 posts, read 14,000 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I'm thinking of driving solo from Atlanta to Lawrence, Kansas for the Thanksgiving holidays. I've never driven this far before, much less during the busy holiday season, and I had a couple of questions. I'd greatly appreciate input on any or all of them.

1) Google Maps calls this a 13-hour drive. Since the route takes me through Nashville, St. Louis, and Kansas City (I-24 for much of it), is it reasonable to assume that holiday traffic will make this a full two-day trip?

2) Any general comments regarding driving on interstates the day before Thanksgiving? People seem to be saying it isn't much fun. Would leaving on Tuesday rather than Wednesday be a good idea?

3) I was thinking of staying overnight on an interstate-side campground but am not sure about how safe this is. I have a four-door with a comfortable backseat. Anyone know how this works? Do you have to reserve a spot, or can you just show up?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2008, 08:54 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,895,026 times
A lot of people do last minute traveling by leaving around lunch time the day before Thanksgiving. That's when it gets pretty hairy. You might save some trouble by leaving around lunchtime the day before (but don't expect a huge difference - maybe some though). If you want the best avoidance of traffic, leave two days before Thanksgiving.

Keep in mind that up until very recently they expected a lot of people to stay home this year who might have driven due to the insane gas prices. However, since gas has taken a huge plunge in price since those predictions, there might be a LARGE surge of last-minute road travelers now (unless prices jump up again in the next 3 weeks).

Old 10-30-2008, 09:41 PM

2,218 posts, read 4,373,555 times
A few years ago we drove to Chicago the day before Thanksgiving. We hit Nashville around dinner time and the traffic was horrendous. I'd plan on leaving mid-morning or on Tuesday.

In my experience, returning to Atlanta on the Sunday after Thanksgiving is just as bad if not worse.

Bill

Old 10-31-2008, 09:26 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,494,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billl View Post
A few years ago we drove to Chicago the day before Thanksgiving. We hit Nashville around dinner time and the traffic was horrendous. I'd plan on leaving mid-morning or on Tuesday.

In my experience, returning to Atlanta on the Sunday after Thanksgiving is just as bad if not worse.

Bill
I think it might be a lot worse.

As for the OP's question about staying overnight in State Parks ---would the State Patrol have this sort of FYI?

I think some large truck stops have areas where you can park and rest. I'm not certain. During peak periods of holiday travel it seems like there were some designated rest areas a few years ago in GA.

Old 11-08-2008, 12:33 PM

2 posts, read 14,000 times
Thanks very much for your comments, guys.

Old 11-23-2009, 01:44 PM

1 posts, read 5,991 times
Hey WheelsWithinWheels,
I am looking for a ride from Atlanta to Nashville on wednesday.
I would gas you up.
Would you like to share the ride or not?
Keep me posted [email]devor_1@msn.com[/email]

Old 11-24-2009, 10:55 AM

375 posts, read 1,381,900 times
I'm doing just the opposite drive from Wyoming to Buford, GA. I'm leaving in a couple of hours and it usually takes 2.5 days - tho I have made it in less. I use Online Maps, Driving Directions, Travel Store - Rand McNally for mapping, same as the GPS in the truck. I drive all the time, so I know what routes are best. If you're coming up I24 to I57 to I70, you'll want to take the I270 bypass - because the highway is always under construction. If you have Sirius tune to channel 153 for St. Louis traffic and weather. I70 is rough under the best conditions. If I'm not mistaken, in Kansas I70 is a toll road starting at US73 westbound.

Old 11-25-2009, 02:14 PM

2,454 posts, read 3,219,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by devor View Post
Hey WheelsWithinWheels,
I am looking for a ride from Atlanta to Nashville on wednesday.
I would gas you up.
Would you like to share the ride or not?
Keep me posted devor_1@msn.com
I'd be looking for other options. Wheels posted this question a year ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia