Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 03:23 PM

998 posts, read 1,549,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
Check your sources--I-395 directly connects to I-95 in Connecticut.

If a Savannah-Augusta-Knoxville interstate were to be built, it should be something like I-89 or I-91, which are used for relatively short interstates in the Northeast. (It isn't unprecedented for interstates to be disjointed; look at I-76 and I-88, for example.) Now, if they were to build the highway and call it the "3rd Infantry Division Highway" or something similar, I would be okay with that name. Just don't call it I-3. That's like when the Braves were in the Western division of the NL.

We already spend way, way too much on the military-industrial complex. The last thing we need to do is drain a couple billion dollars in the name of making that complex that much more efficient.

I think people are misinterpreting my post... People were back and forth on here about the ORIGINAL intent of the Interstate system. I'm not even referring to any future Interstate being built with any possible association to anything resembling a military. I posted a link that stated the military was ONE reason why the system was built... this was common knowledge to me from high school history classes, but I guess some just like to argue? I just stated a historical fact that there were many reasons for it's construction, including the military.

I do believe that the Interstate system in Georgia does one thing however: It takes you towards congestion (Atlanta) no matter where you're coming from. Another Interstate to bypass Atlanta would drastically reduce the traffic in that area... And I would consider building an Interstate being much more efficient (original meaning) than many of the other programs the Government hands out. There's much more waste going on in other areas that should warrant our attention more so than any potential future Interstate. At least an Interstate connects local/regional/international economies and gets America's business done... or we can throw a few Million dollars to study if mice can communicate by flatulence... your choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 03:41 PM

934 posts, read 1,346,765 times
Lets get a vote

Interstate 3 or Interstate 14

I would lean towards I-14 simply because it divert traffic away from Atlanta, which benefits all other cities in the state.

Old 02-08-2011, 03:59 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,508 posts, read 15,101,643 times
Interstate 3 would alleviate a much larger portion of the traffic congestion out of metro Atlanta.. Especially if the interstate connects to Dalton or Knoxville at I-75 or somewhere in SC near I-85..

Instead of taking I-75 through Atlanta to reach Florida, alot of people would choose I-3....

Interstate 3 would passed I-20 and I-85 in the amount of daily traffic flow. Then start to battle I-75 in the future for the most heavily traveled interstate in Georgia..

Old 02-08-2011, 05:52 PM

5,616 posts, read 8,653,289 times
I-14 makes most sense by far. We need another major east-west interstate for the state. It would reduce congestion in Atlanta as well as spur growth in Columbus, Macon, and Augusta. The port in Savannah would benefit as well.

Old 02-08-2011, 06:09 PM

1,531 posts, read 3,100,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by River_Dawg View Post
Lets get a vote

Interstate 3 or Interstate 14

I would lean towards I-14 simply because it divert traffic away from Atlanta, which benefits all other cities in the state.
Not Savannah.....

I vote for I-3. It's a no-brainer.

Old 02-08-2011, 06:58 PM

934 posts, read 1,346,765 times
Yes Savannah.

Every state west of Georgia could reach Savannah without going thru Atlanta. Just take I-14 to Macon then I-16 to Savannah.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:09 PM

5,616 posts, read 8,653,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by River_Dawg View Post
Yes Savannah.

Every state west of Georgia could reach Savannah without going thru Atlanta. Just take I-14 to Macon then I-16 to Savannah.
Exactly. It will be used more in my opinion than I-3. Plus, I-3 would be difficult to build through the mountains. I-14 just makes more sense.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:09 PM

42 posts, read 90,527 times
My vote is for I-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southernbill View Post
traffic that originates in the following states Indiana, Illinois, Kentucky, Tennessee, Missouri, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, parts of Michigan and parts of Ohio. All of this traffic is funneled right into the heart of metro Atlanta when the alternative I-40 east is closed preventing them from reaching I-26 east to I-95 south. An I-3 connection in Knoxville, TN or to I-75 in North GA would reduce the amount of non local traffic on metro Atlanta
If you go to this site and stroll down to page 22 you will see that metro Atlanta is the largest bottleneck for truck transit in the Southeast excluding Florida with Nashville and Chattanooga following close behind and if trucks are bottlenecked so are the average motorist. You will also see on page 23 that Atlanta has 4 of the top 20 worst intersecting interstates in the country for truck bottle necks in other words bad traffic for everyone.
# 3 = I-75 at I-285
# 6 = I-285 at I-85
# 19 = I-20 at I-285
# 20 = I-75 at I-85
according to this 2006 study there were only 2 cities where trucks were delayed more in other terms had worse traffic Chicago and L.A
By building this interstate it would definitely help the economy of Georgia and ease traffic in metro Atlanta by diverting alot of this traffic away from the city and giving the trucking industry an alternative routing lane
this study shows that 2.2 million trucks passed thru the intersection of I-75 and I-285 in 2006 probably more now in 2011 even if I-3 diverted only half of this traffic away from the metro it would be an improvement in the congestion of I-285 and also I-75 in Georgia.
http://expandingcapacity.transportat...Final_7710.pdf

Old 02-08-2011, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
Exactly. It will be used more in my opinion than I-3. Plus, I-3 would be difficult to build through the mountains. I-14 just makes more sense.
why would you need I-14 when you have I-16 extend it to Columbus then into Alabama and you have the same interstate to get over to Augusta it would be no shorter than going I-185 to I-85 to I-20 to Augusta or vice versa if you really build I-14 how much time would you really save and how would these cities benefit.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
I-14 makes most sense by far. We need another major east-west interstate for the state. It would reduce congestion in Atlanta as well as spur growth in Columbus, Macon, and Augusta. The port in Savannah would benefit as well.
If you dump all the traffic on I-20 traveling from east of Augusta along with the traffic from I-16 that would bypass Atlanta and Birmingham top that with I-75 traffic and you would be moving the problem south to Macon which has only a limited bypass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia