Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2022, 06:34 PM

2,648 posts, read 2,092,306 times

Advertisements

This corner store here: 15th St Grocery - Columbus, MS
https://maps.app.goo.gl/bo5juf2JzjwZEjKQ7
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2022, 07:08 PM

1,212 posts, read 501,942 times
Around here Greater Cincy we called them quick marts, Deli's and probably the most unique (don't see this that often in the USA) Drive Thru's or Pony Kegs that are beer and wine oriented, pull in with your auto

Old 05-22-2022, 07:27 PM

17,115 posts, read 15,341,895 times
I think this thread's meaning to the original question kind of got lost somehow...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Where else in the USA is the "Bodega" a common sight? In NYC, every block, every corner will have one, or at least 7 out of 10 will have at least one. Some have more.
I don't think OP was asking about corner stores in general. Those are everywhere, in just about every city.
Rather, he was asking about the NYC style ones which are seen seemingly at every street corner, and normally part of a larger multi-family building on the bottom floor at the street corner. Very few cities have that. It's something largely associated with very urban neighborhoods, where on a Sunday morning, mom can send her kid out to the store to get some eggs and whatnot.

Old 05-22-2022, 07:45 PM

21,626 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
I think this thread's meaning to the original question kind of got lost somehow...

I don't think OP was asking about corner stores in general. Those are everywhere, in just about every city.
Rather, he was asking about the NYC style ones which are seen seemingly at every street corner, and normally part of a larger multi-family building on the bottom floor at the street corner. Very few cities have that. It's something largely associated with very urban neighborhoods, where on a Sunday morning, mom can send her kid out to the store to get some eggs and whatnot.
Pretty common in the areas I listed earlier although it’s usually just at the bottom of a multi family dwelling but not a large one. Or it’s in a block full of apartments but maybe just attached to other small shops:

Classic bodegas in multi family buildings in Hartford and Boston:

https://goo.gl/maps/ZchqNoyYBD1AAapg6

https://goo.gl/maps/k2RdNj7G1EgfZNDw9

https://goo.gl/maps/ktgvCTcVqXktTY9H7

https://goo.gl/maps/wZASYtcn3owqip5H7

https://goo.gl/maps/SVk7N5j7RqiDYN3UA

https://goo.gl/maps/J2Uh6zkFGNfNL54b9

More common:
https://goo.gl/maps/JznW3pNDVyBnJxSZ7
https://goo.gl/maps/FbriKSLP6Ev8rwLN8
https://goo.gl/maps/zMMA2vfZ6dTEUpEh8

Old 05-22-2022, 08:45 PM

17,115 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Pretty common in the areas I listed earlier although it’s usually just at the bottom of a multi family dwelling but not a large one. Or it’s in a block full of apartments but maybe just attached to other small shops:

Classic bodegas in multi family buildings in Hartford and Boston:

[...]

More common:
[...]
Right. That (to me anyway) is more in line with what OP was referring to. Not just the typical town corner store.

Old 05-22-2022, 09:16 PM

3,572 posts, read 3,070,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post

Not as ubiquitous as in previous decades, but still plenty around Buffalo and the Buffalo area. Here are 4 of them just within a few steps of the same intersection in an ethnically mixed section of the Black Rock neighborhood:
Aref's Deli, Yasmin Market, Lucky 7, US Mini Mart

Here are a couple typical stores in other neighborhoods:
Metro Deli
Discount Food Mart
United Food

Old 05-22-2022, 09:16 PM

10,056 posts, read 14,929,390 times
In NYC Dominicans have the bodega market cornered as so many are Dominican-owned. I don't think there is a single Dominican/Dominican-American family in the USA that either someone in their family owns a bodega or they are close to or even friends with Dominican bodega owners since before they were in the business. Often times a single person owns several bodegas, each named differently that if you didn't know the details you would think they are owned by separate people. Some people have paid for their home in the USA, built themselves a home in the DR, put food on the table and pay the college tuition of all their children through their bodega ownership. Basically, it has become (or it was always like this) a who you know type of business. Usually, the people that work in a bodega know the owner (whether they are relatives or neighborhood friends or friends thry knew in the DR and needed work upon moving to the USA, in many cases it's a start and then people go from there finding work with better pay). It's very rare that a bodega worker is hired from the outside, without knowing someone inside and getting their recommendation. Many bodega owners also have good relationship with seversl Dominican producers and distributors in the DR and in the USA. This is why you go to a bodega and, for example, find things like all their avocados come from some place in the DR and things like that.

Anyway, there has been an increased of armed robberies of NYC bodega's to the point they have risen their worry.

Crime Wave Hits Bodegas, Threatening a Lifeline in the Pandemic
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/10/n...e-bodegas.html

Old 05-22-2022, 09:21 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,593,936 times
I think the original use of "bodega" was Sianish for "wine cellar" and got expanded, to "a shop tat sells wine", but also as the equivalent of "pantry". But Spanish already had the well-established word "tienda" for a small store outside the "mercado", or central market-place. Tienda is in common use in all Spanish countries, as opposed to bodega, now usually meaning a pantry.. Some Spanish countries use bodega for "boutique" which might have the same etymology.

Old 05-22-2022, 09:24 PM

2,363 posts, read 1,850,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Lagos View Post
Around here Greater Cincy we called them quick marts, Deli's and probably the most unique (don't see this that often in the USA) Drive Thru's or Pony Kegs that are beer and wine oriented, pull in with your auto
lol that is something I have NEVER seen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
bodega is the spanish name for a convenience mom and pop store, I was extremely glad NYC still had plenty of them with their own identities, each bodega felt unique, like it has its own story to tell

in many other americans cities they don't exist and you just go to target or walmart or whatever which is very gross in a way
This sounds like a bit of glamorization to me lol targets/walmart serves a different purpose than corner stores. All cities are gonna have some kind of local corner stores /general store though maybe not bodegas. A lot of corner stores actually are dirty and some of them aren't really unique in any way, there is more variety though for sure and do add more character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
We have 'em in Jersey City. Newark has more than a few. Any urban city in the region, really.

What you'll find is they're only called bodegas in the NYC area. In Boston they're called packies and they're probably just called corner stores in most other places. Almost all cities have them (some more than others). I'd be interested to see if there's any new vocabulary to learn (different regional names for them).
Packies I guess is a Boston term bu/t other places have Package Stores. Drove past Jay's Package Store in Dothan, Alabama and did a double take causeI wasn't expecting to see it called that. They're sometimes called Package Stores in Georgia too

Old 05-22-2022, 09:25 PM

10,056 posts, read 14,929,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
I think the original use of "bodega" wasSianish for "wine cellar" and got expanded, to "a shop tat sells wine", or the equivalent of "pantry". But Spanish already had the well-established word "tienda" for a small store outside the "mercado", or central market-place. Tienda is in common use in all Spanish countries, as opposed to bodega, now usually meaning a pantry..
Wine cellars are still called bodegas. Those places are usually where they age the wine in barrels, similar to what is done to rum and other alcoholic drinks. The irony is that while bodegas in NYC are greatly owned by Dominicans, outside of wine cellars there aren't many bodega named businesses in the DR. Their equivalent is often called a colmado and to a lesser degree a pulpería.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.