Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2022, 12:57 PM

2,235 posts, read 1,118,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
A lot of them are Dominican just like NY. Maybe a Philly person can chime in here. What ratio of corner stores do Arabs run in Philly? When I visit my cousins in NorthEast all the papi store owners appear Dominican

You're more likely to see Arabs, Indians, and Pakistani's own *papi stores in the NW and lower NE .

*We also wouldn't call it a papi store if it's not owned by a Dominican/Rican

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.0527...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.0440...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.0470...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.0410...7i16384!8i8192
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2022, 01:25 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,936,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I've never heard the term "bodega" used in any context other than to describe a corner store/convenience store located in New York City. Incidentally, Waikiki, Honolulu has a whole ton of convenience stores that also sell souvenirs and beach gear and clothing. The store name is ABC Store, and that's what I've always heard them referred to as, rather than by a generic name.
Isnt that the name of the chain? I been in one of those.

Old 05-28-2022, 01:40 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,936,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Lagos View Post
Around here Greater Cincy we called them quick marts, Deli's and probably the most unique (don't see this that often in the USA) Drive Thru's or Pony Kegs that are beer and wine oriented, pull in with your auto

Wow you guys have drive through corner stores, thats amazing. Do you also have some kind of car pass RFID that you pay with so you dont even have to exit car to go to pay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
I think this thread's meaning to the original question kind of got lost somehow...

I don't think OP was asking about corner stores in general. Those are everywhere, in just about every city.
Rather, he was asking about the NYC style ones which are seen seemingly at every street corner, and normally part of a larger multi-family building on the bottom floor at the street corner. Very few cities have that. It's something largely associated with very urban neighborhoods, where on a Sunday morning, mom can send her kid out to the store to get some eggs and whatnot.
Sorta, I dont require it to be under a multifamily. But I think it should be walkable from residential zoning, and practically right next to. Wawas, and Casey General Stores, 7 Elevens, Quik Cheks, are kinda in the same niche industry. But I not referring to those chains. I mean more mom and pop style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
In NYC Dominicans have the bodega market cornered as so many are Dominican-owned. I don't think there is a single Dominican/Dominican-American family in the USA that either someone in their family owns a bodega or they are close to or even friends with Dominican bodega owners since before they were in the business. Often times a single person owns several bodegas, each named differently that if you didn't know the details you would think they are owned by separate people. Some people have paid for their home in the USA, built themselves a home in the DR, put food on the table and pay the college tuition of all their children through their bodega ownership. Basically, it has become (or it was always like this) a who you know type of business. Usually, the people that work in a bodega know the owner (whether they are relatives or neighborhood friends or friends thry knew in the DR and needed work upon moving to the USA, in many cases it's a start and then people go from there finding work with better pay). It's very rare that a bodega worker is hired from the outside, without knowing someone inside and getting their recommendation. Many bodega owners also have good relationship with seversl Dominican producers and distributors in the DR and in the USA. This is why you go to a bodega and, for example, find things like all their avocados come from some place in the DR and things like that.

Anyway, there has been an increased of armed robberies of NYC bodega's to the point they have risen their worry.

Crime Wave Hits Bodegas, Threatening a Lifeline in the Pandemic
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/10/n...e-bodegas.html
In NYC Dominicans do not own a lot. I think I only know one family that owns one. Rest are Muslims, arabic speakers.

Old 05-28-2022, 08:04 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,186,771 times
Quote:
A lot of them are Dominican just like NY. Maybe a Philly person can chime in here. What ratio of corner stores do Arabs run in Philly? When I visit my cousins in NorthEast all the papi store owners appear Dominican
Yeah most of them in Philly are owned by Dominicans and then Puerto Ricans being the 2nd most.

Old 05-29-2022, 11:59 AM

575 posts, read 1,370,858 times
A pony keg is a quarter-size barrel of beer. I cannot find, however, how the word "pony" came to mean that size. I am assuming it is from a German word referring to some kind of liquid measure.
I've lived my entire life in Greater Cincinnati. Until the 1980s, I heard the term used regularly, but since then, most people just say "convenience store." In my own mind, a pony keg is a privately owned business, but a convenience store is a chain or part of a gas station.
I had no idea that the drive-thru convenience store was a local phenomenon. Drive-thrus mostly sell beverages and snacks, but convenience stores also have processed foods (like breakfast cereals) and household products (like toilet paper).
P.S. The store is never referred to as a "drive-through." That would be too pretentious!

Old 05-30-2022, 09:14 AM

3,559 posts, read 2,398,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
You're more likely to see Arabs, Indians, and Pakistani's own *papi stores in the NW and lower NE .

*We also wouldn't call it a papi store if it's not owned by a Dominican/Rican

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.0527...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.0440...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.0470...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.0410...7i16384!8i8192
Similar set up in nyc. The nicer areas tend to have more paki, Bengali owners while Dominicans are in more of the hoods.

But at this point Arab owners are everywhere

Old 05-31-2022, 12:12 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,596,628 times
Quote:
Similar set up in nyc. The nicer areas tend to have more paki, Bengali owners while Dominicans are in more of the hoods.

But at this point Arab owners are everywhere
It seems like Arabs really dominate the Bodega market these days.

There also seems to be an increase in Mexican delis but those tend to close early and not be like the stereotypical hood bodega that's open 24 hours.

Another change is that those old school red and yellow signs that New Yorkers get nostalgic for are pretty much dead, now they all have LED signs that say "HABIBI 169 DELI GRILL".

Old 05-31-2022, 12:29 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,746,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
It seems like Arabs really dominate the Bodega market these days.

There also seems to be an increase in Mexican delis but those tend to close early and not be like the stereotypical hood bodega that's open 24 hours.

Another change is that those old school red and yellow signs that New Yorkers get nostalgic for are pretty much dead, now they all have LED signs that say "HABIBI 169 DELI GRILL".
LED signs have gotten popular but the red and yellow signs are common throughout New England still and not Arab owned. Probably just reflecting lag of older NYC culture

Old 05-31-2022, 01:12 PM

141 posts, read 90,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
(Philly is arguably the 2nd most urban city in the U.S.). .
Chicago and San Francisco would like a word with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.