Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2013, 11:16 PM

2,277 posts, read 2,655,723 times

Advertisements

I think we feel safer at home and this country has so much to see and do that we feel we don't have to go far to do anything we want. But there are a lot that do, maybe not Europe so much, but other parts of the world are catering to the dollar. Asia for example is the place where things are happening right now. And of course the Caribbean is high on most people list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2013, 02:13 AM

808 posts, read 1,879,185 times
We don't travel because in order to even consider going abroad Americans would have to acknowledge the possibility that there are good things about the outside world

Old 04-12-2013, 03:16 AM

5,490 posts, read 3,931,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by red4ce View Post
We don't travel because in order to even consider going abroad Americans would have to acknowledge the possibility that there are good things about the outside world
more than a kernel of truth here, heh

Old 04-13-2013, 01:03 AM

27 posts, read 42,948 times
LOL Just another ignorant european making assumptions when the facts state just the opposite...it makes them feel better about themselves repeating this garbage.

Oooh look at us worldly europeans we travel and Americans don't ..LOL..What they don't reliaze is we Americans are laughing at you when you repeat this nonsense.

Plus..You can almost fit europe in the entire USA which means we travel more miles just visiting
our own country and that's not even counting overseas or south America.

Next time check the facts before looking ignorant.

PS: I wonder how we are known for being the best Tippers in Europe being we don't travel overseas much. I have always enjoyed stiffing the rude and cold euro trash..LOL

My parents come from Europe and I'm first generation American and rather visit South America / Caribbean Countries these days..at least they are warm and smile.

Old 04-13-2013, 07:27 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,032,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainerRocks View Post
LOL Just another ignorant european making assumptions when the facts state just the opposite...it makes them feel better about themselves repeating this garbage.

Oooh look at us worldly europeans we travel and Americans don't ..LOL..What they don't reliaze is we Americans are laughing at you when you repeat this nonsense.

Plus..You can almost fit europe in the entire USA which means we travel more miles just visiting

PS: I wonder how we are known for being the best Tippers in Europe being we don't travel overseas much. I have always enjoyed stiffing the rude and cold euro trash..LOL

My parents come from Europe and I'm first generation American and rather visit South America / Caribbean Countries these days..at least they are warm and smile.
Perhaps Americans are known as good 'tippers' because the US has a 'tipping' culture that's not the same in other parts of the world, its my understanding that in the US waiters / waitresses rely on the tips to make up a large portion of their wage (which isn't true in some other parts of the world). I think a smaller percentage of Americans travel perhaps because the country is the size of a continent? For example if you live in Germany and you want some Winter sun you need to fly south to another country whereas if you live in Philadelphia you can just head to the south of you own country ie Florida?

Old 04-13-2013, 07:45 AM

2,491 posts, read 2,681,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post

china. old data from 2007.

China Inbound Tourism in 2007

the united states again comes in at number four (again only being beaten by neighboring countries). 1.9 million US tourists. not one european country makes the top 10. the UK comes in at 11th with 600,000, germany at 13th with 550,000, and france at 15th with 460,000.

I am guessing you were unaware that the US is bigger, population wise, than the UK, Germany or France.

Your numbers show that 6 out of 1000 Americans traveled to China in 2007.
Ten out of 1000 people from the UK traveled to China, and approximately 7 out of 1000 from both Germany and France. So your data does not support your conclusion.

Old 04-13-2013, 09:13 AM

2,918 posts, read 5,610,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyline View Post
I am guessing you were unaware that the US is bigger, population wise, than the UK, Germany or France.

Your numbers show that 6 out of 1000 Americans traveled to China in 2007.
Ten out of 1000 people from the UK traveled to China, and approximately 7 out of 1000 from both Germany and France. So your data does not support your conclusion.
i am guessing you are unaware that you're comparing the best performing countries on a continent to a continent sized country

http://vuir.vu.edu.au/16046/1/Zhou_Grundy_v1.pdf

total visits in 2007

europe (excl russia): 3,217,000. out of a population of 595,865,000. 5.39 out of 1000.

united states: 1,900,000. out of a population of 308,745,538. 6.15 out of 1000.

even if the US came in at slightly lower numbers, my point would have still stood. the notion that americans don't travel overseas is completely false.

Old 04-13-2013, 11:01 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
People have their different reasons. Traveling for families can be quite expensive and not everyone has good paying jobs. Sometimes, their children just have way too many summertime activities and sometimes, these families (or couple's without kids) have to prioritize their finances towards remodeling a home. Sometimes, they are running a business and just don't have the help available to take days off (or the money). There are a # of reasons why Americans may not go overseas as often as Europeans coming to the US. Not everyone feels the need to travel either. Its not a right thing or a wrong thing.
I will add: If the kids are very young, they will get no more out of the travel than they would from a vacation trip to the KOA! It's ridiculous to pay a huge airfare bill to just drag them around.

Old 04-13-2013, 11:28 AM

1,462 posts, read 2,961,259 times
I've been to France, Italy, and Mexico thanks to a rich aunt and uncle. Other than that, I don't have the money for expensive plane tickets. southwests 59 dollar deals don't go over seas so there. Plus I don't have the vacation time

Old 04-13-2013, 12:19 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,461,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainerRocks View Post

Good point especially because there are now posts here that have proved this assumption to be incorrect. I think the OP is doing what many people like to do on public websites; post stereotypical statements without ever checking out the validity of those statements. Sometimes they do it just to provoke, sometimes they do it just to observe what the replies will be, sometimes they just have nothing better to do and can't think of anything else intelligent to ask.

In every case though, the result they are certain to gain is the exposure of their own ignorance about the subject.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.