Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2013, 09:35 AM

2,918 posts, read 5,608,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Are you seriously saying that Americans (not just college students) can expect to be able to travel overseas, staying for, oh let's just say a week (since less than that seems hardly worth the airfare), for under two thousand dollars?

Now - college students crashing in hostels or couch surfing may be able to do that - MAY be able to. But certainly not a family ($2000 each) or an older traveler.
$2000 for one week? there are plenty of destinations an american can go on that budget.

no need to stay in a hostel either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 10:07 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,755,978 times
When I travel outside the US, the fist places I think of going are Mexico or Canda and Central America third. Europe is very expensive and I simply dont have enough vacation time to truely enjoy a European vacation.

However, if I got an extra week off, I would love to tour Germany.

Old 04-09-2013, 11:55 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
$2000 for one week? there are plenty of destinations an american can go on that budget.

no need to stay in a hostel either.
If your airline ticket costs $1500 (most roundtrip tickets from the US to Europe are in about that price range) that leaves $500 for hotel, food, and transportation. Of course it can be done but it won't be easy!

Old 04-09-2013, 12:26 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,501,315 times
Most Americans can't afford to travel overseas, not to mention many ascribe to the concept of American exceptionalism.

Old 04-09-2013, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nature's message View Post
Most Americans can't afford to travel overseas, not to mention many ascribe to the concept of American exceptionalism.
Most Europeans can't afford to travel to the US either, even with a weak dollar.

Old 04-09-2013, 01:12 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nature's message View Post
Some just don't like to travel at all.

As for travel overseas, I encounter bunches of Americans traveling overseas when I do.

Old 04-09-2013, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
If your airline ticket costs $1500
We just purchased a ticket to Europe (within the last week) for less than HALF that amount.

Old 04-09-2013, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
We just purchased a ticket to Europe (within the last week) for less than HALF that amount.
You got a deal. Many families HAVE to travel during the smmertime, when rates go up. For instance, due to our family situation, we have very little choice - we have to travel in June. So our economy class round trip tickets we just purchased last week (from Dallas to London and back) were $1500 each.

Of course, if we could have traveled some time other than peak season or a holiday, we could have bought tickets for less. But think about it - families have to coordinate with school holidays and that sort of thing.

Also, though we fly coach, we do allow ourselves the luxury of avoiding multiple stops or long layovers. This usually adds a couple of hundred dollars to the price.

I just looked up, on Expedia, roundtrip tickets from Dallas to London with no layovers for the end of this month. The prices start at $1125. Same tickets in June, same route, are $1616. On AMERICAN - an airline I despise. ON British Airways, the price goes up to $1776 for coach, roundtrip, Dallas to London. And actually, the price is the same for flights with layovers in June, now that I look even more closely.

LOL I'm feeling pretty good now about the tickets I bought last week for $1500!

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 04-09-2013 at 01:29 PM..

Old 04-09-2013, 01:26 PM

We are doing summer travel.

Old 04-09-2013, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
We are doing summer travel.
I am not sure when you are traveling. I checked prices though for the time frame we are going in June (NOT during Wimbledon!) and then for August - and the prices are about the same - around $1500 each.

As you probably know, the prices for tickets hinge on a variety of situations - layovers or no layovers, departure and arrival points, days of the week, even what time the flight boards. They vary significantly depending on the country, or even airports within a country. Too many variables to argue over.

Not only did I search a wide variety of sources independently, I also consulted with a travel agent. Between the two of us (well, three - my husband looking as well), on the dates we need to travel and the departure and destination, $1500 was the least expensive flight any of us could find.

Tickets in the same time period, however, departing from Dallas and going to Madrid, are less expensive. They drop even more going to Brussels. They go UP for Amsterdam and Frankfurt, and drop significantly for Copenhagen.

Everyone's situation is different.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 04-09-2013 at 01:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.