Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2013, 05:45 PM

1,222 posts, read 2,279,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
Perfect example of just how expensive international travel can be. I'm in my mid-20s, so I'm nowhere near close being able to financially handle that kind of trip.
Kathryn's example is of course a very expensive one. As a college student I traveled overseas quite regularly and was able to afford it. Of course I had to save up a bit of my money, but staying at hostels and not renting cars definitely reduces your costs. The most expensive thing for me was always the flight. Since I didn't spend much money on other things I was able to fly overseas once a year. No need to spend thousands of dollars if you don't want to (or can't).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 06:01 PM

432 posts, read 1,228,534 times
I am an American that has lived overseas for over 25 years now, in UK, Europe and Australia. Americans are missing out SO much by not traveling to other countries.

Expensive maybe but that's not an excuse. I save up money to Travel! I go back to visit family every 3 years and years in between I travel to other places.

I have lots of brothers and sisters and only 3 of them have come to visit me and are just amazed at how different things are.

Save up and go for it! Discover life outside your backyard!

Old 04-05-2013, 06:54 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob702 View Post
Kathryn's example is of course a very expensive one. As a college student I traveled overseas quite regularly and was able to afford it. Of course I had to save up a bit of my money, but staying at hostels and not renting cars definitely reduces your costs. The most expensive thing for me was always the flight. Since I didn't spend much money on other things I was able to fly overseas once a year. No need to spend thousands of dollars if you don't want to (or can't).
Are you seriously saying that Americans (not just college students) can expect to be able to travel overseas, staying for, oh let's just say a week (since less than that seems hardly worth the airfare), for under two thousand dollars?

Now - college students crashing in hostels or couch surfing may be able to do that - MAY be able to. But certainly not a family ($2000 each) or an older traveler.

Sharing a room and bathroom with several strangers, backpacking along the Yangtze river, or cycling through Spain sounds a lot more feasible (and intriguing) to a single college student than it does to a family with kids, or older travelers.

I guess you could do it if you didn't go to any sites requiring that you pay admission, if you only ate from grocery stores instead of eating at restaurants, if you rented a bike rather than getting a Eurail pass or a car, if you went to places way off the beaten path, traded apartments, that sort of thing. And if you want to travel on a shoestring budget with no frills then that's fine.

I personally don't like to be uncomfortable or worried about money when I'm on vacation. I like to eat in decent restaurants and stay in comfortable (not extravagant) hotels. A Eurail pass for a week costs about as much as renting a car and putting gas in it - which is even MORE economical if more than one person is traveling (renting a car is actually the least expensive way to travel short of a bike for more than one person).

If I was in college or single, I might consider an overseas vacation that was bare bones. But I'm middle aged, with teenagers and college students of my own. I expect for the travel bug to remain strong in me for decades to come, but there's a reason why you don't hear of many older people or families staying in youth hostels or backpacking thru the Urals.

By the way, when I was in college, the dollar was strong compared to most world currencies. It's weak now, and simply doesn't go as far. Dollar for euro and meal for meal, American travelers can expect big increases in the prices on basic stuff when they travel overseas in most places. It hasn't always been like this.

We paid $1500 EACH two years ago for round trip tickets (in coach) to Europe, and the same amount for our upcoming vacation. That right there is $3000 for a couple, and a whopping $6000 for a family of four - before we spend a single dime on night time accommodations, food, sightseeing, or travel once we're there.

Old 04-05-2013, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2M View Post
I am an American that has lived overseas for over 25 years now, in UK, Europe and Australia. Americans are missing out SO much by not traveling to other countries.

Expensive maybe but that's not an excuse. I save up money to Travel! I go back to visit family every 3 years and years in between I travel to other places.

I have lots of brothers and sisters and only 3 of them have come to visit me and are just amazed at how different things are.

Save up and go for it! Discover life outside your backyard!
I agree! It can be expensive, but WELL worth it. I can't seem to get enough of traveling - in and out of the United States. It's a top priority for our family and always has been.

Old 04-05-2013, 07:39 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
College students get more time off than most workers. That's one thing in their favor. They can spend one summer working and the next traveling. They usually don't have families to consider taking with them either. If you are going to do your traveling that's a good time to do it.

Old 04-05-2013, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
College students get more time off than most workers. That's one thing in their favor. They can spend one summer working and the next traveling. They usually don't have families to consider taking with them either. If you are going to do your traveling that's a good time to do it.
Either then or when you're in your fifties and have a lot more money!

Old 04-06-2013, 06:35 AM

1,222 posts, read 2,279,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Are you seriously saying that Americans (not just college students) can expect to be able to travel overseas, staying for, oh let's just say a week (since less than that seems hardly worth the airfare), for under two thousand dollars?

Now - college students crashing in hostels or couch surfing may be able to do that - MAY be able to. But certainly not a family ($2000 each) or an older traveler.
Obviously, I was not referring to you but to the person I quoted, who is in his/her mid-20s and doesn't have a lot of funds. Whatever you would find comfortable or not doesn't really matter. You are in a totally different position with different priorities since you are a) older b) have family and c) have the funds to afford more luxuries. But those luxuries are not a must and it is very much doable to travel for under $2000. For a young person who wants to see the world I can't imagine a better thing than staying in hostels, couch surfing or backpacking the world. You'll meet lots of interesting people and if you take the normal precautions it is perfectly safe.

My first trip overseas was around $1800 and it was one of the best experiences in my life. Don't discourage people by making them believe they don't have the money to afford traveling. A lot depends on your priorities and obviously, once people grow older, these priorities change as well. A 20-something can be perfectly fine hanging out somewhere at a park in Rome drinking a few cans of beer with some newly-made friends whereas a 40-something would probably prefer drinking a glass of wine in a fine restaurant.

Old 04-06-2013, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Obviously, I was not referring to you but to the person I quoted, who is in his/her mid-20s and doesn't have a lot of funds. Whatever you would find comfortable or not doesn't really matter. You are in a totally different position with different priorities since you are a) older b) have family and c) have the funds to afford more luxuries. But those luxuries are not a must and it is very much doable to travel for under $2000. For a young person who wants to see the world I can't imagine a better thing than staying in hostels, couch surfing or backpacking the world. You'll meet lots of interesting people and if you take the normal precautions it is perfectly safe.

My first trip overseas was around $1800 and it was one of the best experiences in my life. Don't discourage people by making them believe they don't have the money to afford traveling. A lot depends on your priorities and obviously, once people grow older, these priorities change as well. A 20-something can be perfectly fine hanging out somewhere at a park in Rome drinking a few cans of beer with some newly-made friends whereas a 40-something would probably prefer drinking a glass of wine in a fine restaurant.
I wasn't discouraging anyone - I clearly said that sort of traveling may be just great for single or college age travelers.

My point is that that age range isn't the only age that loves to travel, and that sort of traveling isn't really feasible for many people in other situations. In fact, my very first sentence of that post made it clear that I was talking about Americans in general, not just college students.

Old 04-07-2013, 08:45 AM

1,678 posts, read 3,739,064 times
Anyways for those on a budget who are interested in travelling to Europe, I found a great website that lists cheap hotels, restaurants, and other articles on how to travel and visit European cities cheaply.

Expert Reviews of Cheap Hotels in Europe - EuroCheapo

Also many Central American countries such as Guatemala and Honduras are very affordable for Americans to visit as well, and they are pretty safe to visit as well aside from some of the larger cities such as Guatemala City and San Pedro Sula.

Old 04-08-2013, 12:57 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,970,740 times
Quote:

Meh, to be honest, even though I'm in my early twenties, I still have no interest in backpacking or sleeping on a European stranger's couch.

Though I am fairly low maintenance, there are still some things I want to be able to do when I finally do take a European vacation. The way I see it, if your financial situation is such that you need to scrape by on the bare minimum to take a vacation like that, ten you probably don't need to be zipping halfway across the world anyway, lol. That money is better spent creating a stable financial base at home first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.