Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2013, 12:50 PM

83 posts, read 125,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
You don't have to boil the water if you stay at a nice resort.

And that is probably why i like Canada lol.
well I can stay in a nice resort at the beach in the States. lol I never understood the point in going down to Mexico for that kind of thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2013, 01:08 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunDMC View Post
well I can stay in a nice resort at the beach in the States. lol I never understood the point in going down to Mexico for that kind of thing.
Right on, on this and your previous post.

I don't care anything about going to Canada, because frankly every SINGLE Canadian I've ever met in person (and don't even get me started on online Canadians) has had a blatant and very vocal disdain for the US and for Americans. Honestly, I think that's sort of weird. I mean, for the longest I didn't feel any sort of animosity or negativity toward Canada whatsoever, but after meeting one after the other after the other Canadian who had absolutely ZERO reserve when it came to talking smack about the US and about Americans I began to think, "Well, ____ you AND the horse you rode in on!" I don't need that sort of negativity in my life -and I'm sure not going to support it with my tourist dollars when there are many more interesting places to visit - where the people areglad to see me coming! Or at least they have the graciousness to fake it.

As for Mexico - why risk it? I mean, the beaches are beautiful, sure, and I'd actually like to see some of the ancient architecture, the art, etc. In fact, Mexico is more appealing to me than Canada, but even so...it's problematic. I'd just as soon go to Key West and call it a day! And then come home and eat some fabulous and very authentic Mexican food from a locally owned restaurant right around the corner!

Old 12-29-2013, 04:16 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,133,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzador View Post
many Americans don't have passports because it's far more complicated to obtain one than most other countries.
This is not true at all (personal experience)

Old 12-29-2013, 06:43 PM

1,485 posts, read 2,254,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
It is equally expensive for Europeans. I spent nearly $5,000 for three weeks in the US two years ago. Traveling is very expensive. Remember, everything is much more expensive in certain parts of Europe, especially cars.
Tell me about it. The money American tourists bring just don't stretch as far overseas as they do here. For example, a Coke is about $3 in New Zealand. I'm guessing it's roughly the same for much of Europe. That same bottle of Coke is about $1.50 in the States.

And while Italian airports may be a pain, but Auckland was an absolute breeze compared to LAX.

Old 12-29-2013, 06:53 PM

1,485 posts, read 2,254,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
This is not true at all (personal experience)
Maybe for you, but having a father who was adopted, it wasn't exactly a simple process, especially when all I could do was narrow his city of birth down to a county.

Old 12-29-2013, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
Ok. That does not sound very appealing to me.

It is equally expensive for Europeans. I spent nearly $5,000 for three weeks in the US two years ago. Traveling is very expensive. Remember, everything is much more expensive in certain parts of Europe, especially cars.
This right here tells me it's not "equal." My husband and I spent ten days in England this past year. It cost us nearly $10,000. Three years ago, a ten day vacation in Germany cost us about $9,000. With the exchange rate as it is, it's definitely not economically "savvy" for Americans to travel to Europe, but we just decided not to fret over it and to just accept the disparity and enjoy ourselves. But both trips were definitely a luxury - that many American families simply can't afford. (We didn't charge anything on credit cards, we payed cash. We always do on vacations. They're not cheap.)

Contrast that with a recent trip to New Orleans for nearly a week. Total cost - under $2000 and this included a luxury hotel in the French Quarter and dinner theater tickets. We also spent nearly a week at a beautiful beach, in a condo, not a hotel, on South Padre Island a couple of years ago and the cost for FOUR people was under $2000. Ziplining in the Appalachians last year? $1200.

Big difference - and we had a BLAST, right here in the old US of A. In 2014 we plan on going to Boston, as well as the beautiful Outer Banks of North Carolina. Both trips (about a week each) will cost us about $2000 for each vacation. That's two fabulous vacations for half of what we would pay visiting Europe for the same number of days.

Old 12-29-2013, 07:09 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Right on, on this and your previous post.

I don't care anything about going to Canada, because frankly every SINGLE Canadian I've ever met in person (and don't even get me started on online Canadians) has had a blatant and very vocal disdain for the US and for Americans. Honestly, I think that's sort of weird. I mean, for the longest I didn't feel any sort of animosity or negativity toward Canada whatsoever, but after meeting one after the other after the other Canadian who had absolutely ZERO reserve when it came to talking smack about the US and about Americans I began to think, "Well, ____ you AND the horse you rode in on!" I don't need that sort of negativity in my life -and I'm sure not going to support it with my tourist dollars when there are many more interesting places to visit - where the people areglad to see me coming! Or at least they have the graciousness to fake it.

As for Mexico - why risk it? I mean, the beaches are beautiful, sure, and I'd actually like to see some of the ancient architecture, the art, etc. In fact, Mexico is more appealing to me than Canada, but even so...it's problematic. I'd just as soon go to Key West and call it a day! And then come home and eat some fabulous and very authentic Mexican food from a locally owned restaurant right around the corner!
I agree with this, too, although I would like to see Montreal, and it's actually only an eight-hour drive from where I live. I haven't had much experience with negative Canadians, but I mostly know Canadians through business and they aren't going to say things like that in a meeting when they want to be the successful proposer on a US project.

But Mexico doesn't hold any charm for me. I've seen those pictures of beautiful resort areas--and the guys with the guns shooting at one another from around hotel corners. The Bahamas or Puerto Rico are closer and people aren't shooting one another at the resorts. The other pictures of Mexico show toothless peasants with their squash crops. I can just drive an hour down to South Jersey or two hours west to the Pennsylvania countryside for that.

Old 12-29-2013, 08:33 PM

89 posts, read 168,953 times
You have to see things from a American point of view.

Why visit another land when you have
everything you could possibly want just
traveling America.

Last edited by Ronnie101; 12-29-2013 at 08:35 PM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 12-29-2013, 08:53 PM
FBF

601 posts, read 932,944 times
As an American, I find that a horrible excuse and shows that you are very ethnocentric.

I can understand if you have family since it is expensive with airline flights.

But it is doable with a solo or two people if you stick to where locals go and not go to 4 or 5 star hotels.

I traveled solo for 3 weeks in Europe and it cost me less than $2500 (could be less if I did not do some shopping) because I go to where locals eat and shop and stayed at youth hostels.

Plus, the cultural differences you experience is an adventure within itself.

Old 12-29-2013, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBF View Post
As an American, I find that a horrible excuse and shows that you are very ethnocentric.

I can understand if you have family since it is expensive with airline flights.

But it is doable with a solo or two people if you stick to where locals go and not go to 4 or 5 star hotels.

I traveled solo for 3 weeks in Europe and it cost me less than $2500 (could be less if I did not do some shopping) because I go to where locals eat and shop and stayed at youth hostels.

Plus, the cultural differences you experience is an adventure within itself.
I just really think that people who love to travel (and I am including myself in that group) shouldn't be so quick to judge those who choose, for their own very unique and personal reasons, to limit their travel to the US. Yes, you do learn a lot by traveling to other countries, but once again, we get back to the TIME and DISTANCE issues, which are pretty darn big issues.

Family, accrued vacation days, finances, etc - these are valid reasons for not undertaking a big international vacation.

Besides that, lots of people, myself included, don't like taking farflung vacations on a shoestring budget. I prefer comfortable hotels so I can get a good night's sleep before each action packed day. The idea of staying in a youth hostel makes my skin literally crawl. I don't want to hitchhike through Europe - I'd rather rent a car or buy a EurRail pass (also expensive). And especially when you factor in just how nice and fun a vacation $2500 will buy you in the states, including visiting all sorts of historical sites, exploring new cultures and cuisines, new experiences...I think those are valid reasons to stay closer to home till one can afford the time and money necessary to go on a VACATION that THEY would enjoy.

It's not a moral issue, folks - it's a matter of priorities and personal preferences.

That being said, whenever I hear someone discussing where their next vacation will be, I always do encourage them to consider visiting a foreign country. And you just might be surprised at how many friends and acquaintances have already done so - and will do so again. In their own good time and when it's most convenient for THEIR family and their schedule and finances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.