Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2013, 12:30 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,148,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
This is a good point and worth noting.

It seems to me that it's considerably harder to travel to a lot of desirable places internationally if you live in the western United States. That's one reason I am reluctant to live there. It is very isolated feeling.
I guess, if what's most important to you is where you can most easily travel to. Personally, I'd rather live somewhere I find most desirable. That's why I live in the west.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2013, 12:31 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,507,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunDMC View Post
If the countries to the north and south of the USA were more exciting than Americans would travel more. lol
Been to both, they are great and full of fellow American tourist.

Old 12-29-2013, 12:32 PM

83 posts, read 125,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Been to both, they are great and full of fellow American tourist.
did you boil water in Mexico?

Canada is too cold for me and I don't see much of a difference b/t it and the USA.

Old 12-29-2013, 12:33 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
Quote:
If the countries to the north and south of the USA were more exciting than Americans would travel more. lol
LOL you got that right. I've been to Korea, to Japan, to nearly every country in the EU, but even though I live in a state that BORDERS Mexico, I've never been and have absolutely no desire to go. NONE. NADA.

Same with Canada. I'm sure it's a nice place. I'm sure it has some lovely scenery. But it's not my thang. I'm not a big "northern scenery" fan - just like some people just don't care about beaches or fishing or going to Disneyworld, whatever. I mean, if I'm ever right up there near the border I'll go just to say I did it...no, wait, no I won't. I didn't do it when I was in Washington state so what am I even saying?

Old 12-29-2013, 12:36 PM

27,576 posts, read 28,680,428 times
Quote:
Canada is too cold for me and I don't see much of a difference b/t it and the USA.
Go to Montreal and Quebec in general.

No place like that in the whole U.S.

Old 12-29-2013, 12:38 PM

Quote:
This is a good point and worth noting.

It seems to me that it's considerably harder to travel to a lot of desirable places internationally if you live in the western United States. That's one reason I am reluctant to live there. It is very isolated feeling.
Yea but how often do you fly to London or Tokyo?

When i move to Utah i'm going to have Yellowstone and Rushmore to the north of me, The Rocky's and Denver to the east, Arizona to the south and California to the west.

Flights from SLC to Seattle, Portland, SF and LA are pretty affordable.

But yea International flights would suck.

Old 12-29-2013, 12:40 PM

50,379 posts, read 64,007,408 times
I can tell you why I haven't. It is because things are so much more expensive over there, and the exchange rate hasn't been favorable either. I could spend $2500 on a week long cruise, or a long weekend in NYC, or triple that to go to Europe. It would not be worth the trip to go to Europe for less than 10-14 days, and that would be cost prohibitive.

Would I like to see some of those countries? Sure, but I seriously doubt if I ever will.

Old 12-29-2013, 12:41 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Sure, but then, I'm not complaining about them not making the trip, and choosing to vacation in Europe instead.
Right - and while we're at it, let's talk about why most Europeans DON'T visit, say, Atlanta or Fort Worth or even New Orleans when they do make a trip across the pond. My, you'd think they'd be a little more curious or creative in their choices, since, you know, they're so open minded and all that. But no, the same old tired choices - New York, Chicago, San Francisco, Orlando, Los Angeles...I guess they watch too much American TV.

I'm saying that tongue in cheek by the way...though I have some particularly well traveled European friends who absolutely LOVE touring through the American south and southwest (as well as the Mississippi Valley) and are always amazed at how few of their fellow countrymen and women have ever even considered exploring the US outside of the cities I mentioned.

Old 12-29-2013, 12:42 PM

Quote:
did you boil water in Mexico?

You don't have to boil the water if you stay at a nice resort.

And that is probably why i like Canada lol.

Old 12-29-2013, 12:49 PM

83 posts, read 125,846 times
Quote:
Go to Montreal and Quebec in general.

No place like that in the whole U.S.
I don't speak French and I wanted that experience I'd just go to France. lol

Lot of Canadians seem to hate Americans so don't really want to spend my money up there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.