Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 10:40 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,564,393 times

Advertisements

The special sales at the Safeways, Giants, etc. usually cycle about once a month. I can usually find food as cheap as Wal-Mart or Target. The Asian stores often have more different vegetables, although I normally don't buy the fruits as they're not fresh. The apples taste like waxed fruit. On more than one occasion, the watermelons or meats spoiled in a couple of days. I don't really trust the Wal-Mart's meats either. They seem unnaturally red in comparison to the other grocery stores. I've heard the Wal-Mart's and the Asian chains gas their meats to enhance the redness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2010, 07:39 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,264,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
If you read the article closely, this wasn't a blind test and it was heavily biased by the author. He was very dismissive of goods bought at the Whole Foods and constantly made excuses for the Walmart including when he was not able to find fresh fruits. It looks like he was also getting assistance from Wal-Mart while he went into Whole Foods unannounced.

Here is more from the story:

From Morningnewsbeat.com:
MorningNewsBeat

National Public Radio has an interview with Corby Kummer, senior editor of the Atlantic, who wrote a piece for the magazine recently favorably comparing the produce sold at Walmart to that sold at Whole Foods. Some excerpts:

• Follow the yellow brick road... “It wasn't exactly like coming into Oz, but it was very surprising. I'd been told that Wal-Mart was going after high-ish-end supermarkets, and I'd better get myself to one of their so-called supercenters and have a look at the fruit and vegetables. So I did. It wasn't so easy in Boston because the closest stores in Boston are the oddly named neighborhood stores, which, of course, you know, are vast and look nothing like neighborhood stores that we think of. But I found myself in this supercenter, and I found very good-looking produce, and, in fact, one of those pick-your-own apple bags - you know, they're cute and white and have pictures of apples and handles on them - from exactly the same Massachusetts farm that I had seen at Whole Foods the day before. So, I decided I'm going to try doing a regular marketing here.”

• On a taste test he engineered... “I went armed with the exact shopping list to get the same set of ingredients at Whole Foods and Wal-Mart and bring them into the restaurant kitchen, where I can assure you the cooks were very surprised to see a parade of Wal-Mart bags coming into their walk-in ... (The guests/tasters) only knew they came from two different purveyors and that they were the same thing, and that they had to score them on sheets. They were local food bloggers and food tasters and restaurant critics and one farmer who turned out to be another contributor to the Food Channel, who turned out to be the ringer. She knew the difference. But most people found themselves routinely preferring the vegetables and fruit from Wal-Mart, and they weren't happy when it was un-blinded.”

• The Walmart initiative... “They've launched this initiative very quietly, because it's still in the test phases - but, of course, a test phase for Wal-Mart has huge implications and huge immediate results, which is that they're trying to revive agriculture in areas for staple crops, not fancy heirlooms like we think of with farmers markets, staple crops: onions, potatoes, lettuce, herbs, things that are - have really only been available from California and Florida and Texas, big-ag states.

And they're saying if you can deliver them to one of our distribution centers that's within a day's drive, we will buy from you, not California and Florida, and the money that we save on the three to five days of truck transport, we'll pay you a slight premium, as long as we can offer it at Wal-Mart at the same price we would be for produce from the big-ag states. That's their initiative.

“It is huge because, in a state like mine - I just talked about apples in Massachusetts, once an extremely important crop commercially, lost out entirely to Washington State. And now - and to an extent, New York State. And now both of those states are losing out to China, which decided 10 to 15 years ago to plant enormous crops of apples.

So the - all of this centralization doesn't pay off for farming areas, and Wal-Mart recognized this and recognized that a lot of university networks and nonprofits are trying to help farmers get access to enormous markets like Wal-Mart by helping smooth the distribution network, which is always the big sticking point in buying local produce for big supermarket chains. So they decided: Let's capitalize on this government investment, some of it from smoking settlement money in tobacco-growing states, and see what we can do to try to get farms to raise these staple crops they long ago had to give up.”

• The long-term strategy... “Everyone's suspicious of Wal-Mart. I'm suspicious of Wal-Mart. And the proof of their sincerity is going to be whether they renew these contracts year after year, because very right-minded - I'm not going to name supermarket chains that make a big deal of buying local produce - will buy it for one year from a farm, and the farm gets all excited, invests in a lot more acreage, and then the next year, the buyer has disappeared because there's a lot of staff turnover. There's no loyalty to this farmer, and this farmer is stuck with a lot of crop that she or he can't sell. The majority of farmers, at least in Massachusetts, are women.

“So the question is whether Wal-Mart is going to, you know, put its money where its mouth is - which I think it will, because it's hardly publicized this at all - and buy year after year from the farmers who do increase their acreage.”

KC's View: One of the other things that Kummer tells NPR is that he has heard anecdotal stories that Whole Foods can be tougher for suppliers to work with than Walmart...which is sort of ironic, considering the Bentonville Behemoth’s reputation.

Old 04-02-2010, 07:46 PM

2,689 posts, read 6,932,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
I don't ever step into Walmart. I f**king hate Walmart. Its like everyone is racing to shop in there. Plus, its where the ugly shop.

Such a nasty statement made against other human beings. Shameful. Truly shameful!

mamaecho... Trader Joe's is awesome!!!!

I find it humerous to watch people's faces when they come to my house, see how it's decorated and eat my food... and then find I frequent Walmart.

Old 04-02-2010, 08:04 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,061,372 times
Well, I spoke too soon. Kroger countered with Strawberries at $1.50, so even Walmart's sale price can't compete. Plus the berries from Walmart were in pretty bad shape while the ones from Kroger were as good as shipped-in berries can get.

I did a price comparison on my other "regular" items while I was there and couldn't find anything that was cheaper at WalMart than the price I usually pay at Kroger or Aldi. Generally WalMart was 20-30% more expensive, as I stated at the beginning.

And not a single thing (that I checked) in WalMart was purchased locally. Most items were from Mexico or California (except fish, which was from China).

Then again, nothing much is in season here, so that's to be expected. Though I was surprised there was nothing from Florida. Kroger was carrying eggs and meat from closer suppliers.

Old 04-03-2010, 08:00 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,264,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
Then again, nothing much is in season here, so that's to be expected. Though I was surprised there was nothing from Florida. Kroger was carrying eggs and meat from closer suppliers.
It should be NO surprise that there is little produce from Florida with all the freezes this year.

Also, strawberry producers in Florida are plowing their crops under as the prices have dropped incredibly because all the strawberries ripened at the same time creating an oversupply.

As prices fall, strawberry farmers plow crops under - St. Petersburg Times

Old 04-03-2010, 12:31 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,247,288 times
I think comparing across the country grocery pricing is an exercise in futility. Not every one buys the same foods, not every one has access to coupons, not every one has supermarkets that double them..... too many variables.

Old 04-03-2010, 12:37 PM

1,558 posts, read 4,782,633 times
I NEVER shop at Walmart for anything. If I am in Target and groceries are on sale that I normally buy then I will buy them. I would never go to Target just to buy groceries.

Old 04-03-2010, 12:58 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,387,627 times
Originally Posted by Dub D
I don't ever step into Walmart. I f**king hate Walmart. Its like everyone is racing to shop in there. Plus, its where the ugly shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canibeyou View Post
Such a nasty statement made against other human beings. Shameful. Truly shameful!
Well, you know, there's ugly, and then there's really ugly - and only one kind can be seen from a distance. The other displays itself in word and action.

Old 04-03-2010, 01:21 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,823,165 times
Well teh only comaperiosn that i have seen that is fair is what the prerosn themselves do and I normally find wal-mart cheaper than krogers;except for Krogers draw items on sale. I never had the time tpo really comparison shop until I retured. Now i do and especailly find items other than groceries much cheaper at wal-mart . Thankfully i can shop at non-srowded times and pay more atrtention to pricing.I alos think the thnaksgiving comparison done by many consumer groups show that wal-mart is cheaper. Overall wal-mart is hard to beat eacept for draw items at Kroger is my finading.

Old 04-04-2010, 05:14 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,564,393 times
I wasn't that impressed with the taste test of just four prepared items, the only two tests favoring Wal-Mart featured dishes smothered in jam or salad dressing and some favorable comments about almonds or leaf of spinach. Try running through the various fresh produce and meats without anything to cover up the flavor. I go into Wal-Mart and purchase food there but the produce and meats don't even pass the look test at this point in time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living