Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 06:32 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times

Advertisements

I shop where I can get what I want for the lowest price. I'm not picky and go where it's cheapest. To each their own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 06:53 AM
RHB

1,098 posts, read 2,150,057 times
I used to got to a number of supermarkets...back when I was a stay at home mom...now I only shop 2, both every convient, and are overall the cheapest. I'm finding the time and energy it takes to do all the stores for their "loss leaders" just isn't worth the the couple of dollars I would save (my time is more valuable to me at this point in my life)
BTW neither is Walmart or Target, it's the commissary, and the local IGA.

Old 04-01-2010, 08:10 AM

10 posts, read 15,564 times
Aldi stores top them all if you are willing to try their brand.Some of their brands are far better than name brand.
I do most my shopping there and then hit walmart for a few items they don't carry.

Old 04-01-2010, 11:16 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaultvintage View Post
Aldi stores top them all if you are willing to try their brand.Some of their brands are far better than name brand.
I do most my shopping there and then hit walmart for a few items they don't carry.
We don't have an Aldi yet where I live, but one is supposed to be coming soon. When and if it does, I will check it out. I just recently tried SuperTarget and was pretty impressed. I love their Archer Farms brand of everything! Really good quality at a great price, and most items less than the regular grocery stores here.

Old 04-01-2010, 02:09 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
No Aldi's in SoCal.

Old 04-02-2010, 08:16 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
Archer Farms is da bomb. Tasty, an ingredient list you can generally pronounce, and generally a very reasonable price for the quality you get.

Old 04-02-2010, 08:29 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,740,820 times
I still like Costco's meat department, even though it is not always the cheapest. We are lucky to have Sprouts stores here and I watch for ads on their vegies. We also have an awesome oriental market here called Lee Lee's and it is huge with odd fruits and vegies which are usually cheaper than Target or ug, Walmart. You can wander the store for hours looking at the different imported foods from all around the globe. The only thing I get at Walmart is canned soup. Might have to start making my own.

Old 04-02-2010, 08:43 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,263,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Walmart and Target generally have cheaper prices on non-food items and some non-perishable items. They don't do as well on the perishable items.
I've found that to be true. On packaged, mass produced, non-parishable items the big box stores are cheaper usually.

I use stuff like drinks for example. You can regularly find cases of name brand soft drinks at walmart several dollars less than a store like Kroger. I drink V8 and a 6 pack of 12 oz V8 at Kroger could be $6 vs $4.50 at Walmart. That's a huge difference on those items alone. So for stuff like that we'll shop at Walmart.

But....if you're like my wife she does the grocerygame, clips coupons, and does the online coupon deals etc. Last trip to Kroger (or Dillons in our area) she spent $80 on what would have normally been $170 in groceries at the regular prices. She litterally had a coupon for every item and every item she bought was on sale that week (we find out the deals of the week through grocerygame). The cashier's jaw dropped after she was done scanning coupons.

Old 04-02-2010, 09:01 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,182,471 times
Walmart is by far the cheapest in my area.

There is a reason the other stores fought so hard to keep Walmart out.

Old 04-02-2010, 10:26 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,562,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Curious, did you read my post where I said that I comparison shop (and shop at a LOT of places) and that for some things (not all), including SOME produce, Walmart is not only cheaper but better quality? Also, did you read the article that I linked to that explains why?
If you read the article closely, this wasn't a blind test and it was heavily biased by the author. He was very dismissive of goods bought at the Whole Foods and constantly made excuses for the Walmart including when he was not able to find fresh fruits. It looks like he was also getting assistance from Wal-Mart while he went into Whole Foods unannounced.

Last edited by lchoro; 04-02-2010 at 10:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living