Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 02:39 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,318,882 times

Advertisements

I shop at Walmart and have no problems. They don't sell meat and vegetables at the ones in San Diego, anyway, and I wouldn't buy them there, even if they did. I go to the ethnic grocery stores for all of my produce, and some of my meat. If there's meat on sale at Ralph's/Albertsons/Vons, and it's something that I need, and at a good price, I'll buy it. Otherwise, I don't shop there. I buy my cereal at Walmart and Target for $3.00 per box, with a $1.00 coupon off. The same cereal in a grocery store is $4.00 per box.

To each their own, I shop for bargains, and go where it's cheap. That includes buying Wellness canned cat food that costs $1.59 per can, but with my $1.00 coupons, I only pay $.59 per can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2010, 06:31 PM

843 posts, read 1,431,763 times
Cereal is one of those things that I don't buy until it is on sale at the grocery store. B1G1 at Publix then with a $1 off coupon for a regular $4 box of cereal become $1.50. Stock up enough on times like these and I never have to step foot in Walmart. Whippee!

Old 05-04-2010, 07:44 PM

When the cereal that I eat goes on sale at the grocery stores, it's STILL too expensive, and it's still much cheaper to buy it at Walmart.

Old 05-05-2010, 05:57 AM

1,859 posts, read 5,026,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
When the cereal that I eat goes on sale at the grocery stores, it's STILL too expensive, and it's still much cheaper to buy it at Walmart.
No way is it cheaper at Wal*Mart when on sale at grocery stores - especially when combined w/coupons! I am going today to Publix, and they have BOGO on Special K 14 oz. & on General Mills cereal (we buy Multi-grain Cheerios). With coupons, I will get 3 boxes of Special K for $3 and 2 boxes of M/G Cheerios for $2.69

Old 05-05-2010, 06:10 AM

897 posts, read 1,688,337 times
The only store cheaper than Walmart on groceries where I live is Sav-a-lot.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:17 AM

There are no Publix in Southern California, and I get my cereal for $1.50-$2.00 per box at Walmart. No grocery store can compare with that. The last box of multi-grain Cheerios that I bought was free.

Old 05-05-2010, 10:13 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
I was at Walmart the other day and picked up a different brand of cereal - brand name, cost $2.50/box. Liked it better than my "old faithful", so when I was at HEB I thought I'd pick up a box there. Put it back on the shelf - it was $3.25. These were regular prices, not sale prices, in both cases.

Old 05-05-2010, 11:18 AM

9,495 posts, read 9,812,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
I don't get it.

There are posts here of people proud to say that when they go shopping for groceries in a given day, they go to three separate stores? Just to save a few bucks? Seriously? So let me see if I understand this.

You go to store 1 (estimated cost of $.5-$3 in gas depending on how far away it is). Do your shopping, get some "savings" (which really aren't savings because they just dropped the profit margin a tickle).

You go store 2 (estimated cost of $.5 - $3 in gas depending on how far away it is and whether you went home first to drop off the first grocery bag set). Do your shopping, get some "savings" (which really aren't savings because they just dropped the profit margin a tickle), not noticing of course that the price at store 2 for the items you bought at store 1 isn't really all that much higher in comparison.

You go to store 3 (estimated cost of $.5 - $3 in gas depending on how far away it is and whether you went home first to drop off the first grocery bag set). Do your shopping, get some "savings" (which really aren't savings because they just dropped the profit margin a tickle), not noticing of course that the prices of the items you bought at store 1 and store 2 aren't really all that much higher in comparison.

So let's lay this out.

- Maximum estimated potential cost in gas: $9 for one day.
- Trips to buy groceries depending on family: 2-4 days a month.
- Estimated value of excess food gone bad: ~$50

So you figure $86 wasted, in order to save $100, for a net savings of $14. Versus just evaluating what you need to carry you to the next grocery day - say, twice a month - and getting it all from the first store, even if it results in a slight increase in the amount of money you pay for the items, where you'd net it out in the gas and waste savings. Hmm.

Anyway, I don't get groceries at Wallyworld. I don't shop there at all. I find the place deplorable. Something's wrong with a place where they tell your staff to remain happy at all times yet they're in the news for gender discrimination and underpaid wages. My path goes as follows:

- Go into Vons/Albertsons.
- Get groceries.
- Swipe Vons/Albertsons card.
- Leave.

Lather/rinse/repeat once a month.
I also agree with what Buckeye in SC says... For me to get to my favorite store to shop, Publix, I pass a Bi-Lo and a Bloom (Food Lion). I have thermal bags in my car which I bought years ago which I can put perishables in. If I'm buying something like ice cream on a hot day, I may have to deviate slightly and pick that up last.

So in your scenerio, I'm using about .15 cents more in gas buy pulling into a parking lot, but saving much, much more. And I don't see where you can be wasting $50 on spoiled food? I have three kids, they eat it up plus more. Occasionally we may through away some stuff that went past its expiration date, but hardly $50 worth a month. That's downright wasteful IMO.

The only downside of doing this is time.

As for my family, I usually only hit one or two stores a week, not including a stop at CVS for free stuff. Using coupons wisely and following a plan, I spend less than $50 a week for a family of 5.

http://www.smartshopping2009.com
Southern Savers

Old 05-05-2010, 11:20 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,677,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I was at Walmart the other day and picked up a different brand of cereal - brand name, cost $2.50/box. Liked it better than my "old faithful", so when I was at HEB I thought I'd pick up a box there. Put it back on the shelf - it was $3.25. These were regular prices, not sale prices, in both cases.

Grocery stores (including walmart) change prices regularly. I bet if you go back in a month the price will not be the same.

Old 05-05-2010, 12:15 PM

I do a big grocery shopping with my coupons at Walmart once a month, and the prices have never changed. Prices on some things may change by a few cents, but it never has on cereal, and I still save quite a bit on my bill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living