Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 04:10 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,964,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
My cat doesn't eat junk cat food. He eats quality cat food, and I buy it from PetPeople, PetsMart or PetCo. I haven't had any problems with the food that I buy from Walmart. I do buy food at Target, but only if Walmart is out of my cereal. They're the same price at both stores, and I use coupons at both of them. Target has a much more limited supply of food and other things that I buy from Walmart. I do price comparisons, and shop where it costs less. Technically, I shop everywhere, it just depends on what I'm buying at that time.
Smart, you are. There are fewer laws governing the quality of pet food and because of that, we do the same thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
I live in Norfolk, VA, and Walmart is cheaper on most packaged foods, on a daily basis. Grocery stores are fairly competitive on meat, and produce, Walmart has lower quality, but often better prices.

However, the statement that grocery stores (supermarkets) are cheaper is bunk. The only time I ever shop at a grocery store is when they have deeply discounted sale prices. Other then that, its Walmart.
Because of your comment, compared to some others, do you think WalMart prices its food the same in all parts of the country, or is it competitive?

Where I live, in the east, we have no super Walmarts. I think it could not compete with some of the local supermarket pricing. I can shop at Basics, A&P, PathMart, Stop n' Shop, and ShopRite.

I have found my local ShopRite to have the best prices, overall; along with the largest selection of foods that we ordinarily eat. They also have a more flexible rain check policy than some, meaning if it is not on their shelves you get the raincheck that day.

I went to a PathMart a few times and they will not make out rain checks unless it is the last day of a sale, meaning they do not have to stock their shelves frequently on sale items, but leave them empty for sale items and use sales as a way to get customers in the store.

Basics has horrible meat which is overpriced.

The A&P used to have a strategy of underpricing all surrounding supermarkets, forcing the stores to close, and then jacking their prices sky high and unless you wanted to travel a ways to a better store, you were stuck buying from them.

Stop n' Shop is a nice store, but overpriced in comparison.

Old 03-16-2010, 09:06 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,718,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by litlux View Post

You have to be a savvy shopper, watch the sales, clip the coupons and compare.

A good shopper today does what frugal shoppers have always done. They spread their money around, "cherry picking" key items in quantity when they are on sale, and watching the dating at the same time.
Great post...I agree 100%

I'll goto several different grocery stores (in a week) if I have to get a great deal.....for instance, I stocked up last week on 48oz vegetable oil for 1.79 each....I bought 8 of them because I won't see that price for a LONG time....funny thing was, the oil I bought was at the priciest food store (Lowes Foods) here in my part of NC.......

I'll stock up on things if its a great deal. I also am savvy enough to know where to buy my staples that don't go on sale..(ie a loaf of bread for $.97)

The savvier you are, the more you'll save....

Old 03-16-2010, 09:16 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
I normally buy my whole grain/multi-grain cereal at Target and Walmart. It's usually about $3.50 per box, and I save $$ by using my coupons which range from $.75 to $1.50. This week CVS has my cereal on sale for $2.50 per box. I had coupons for $1.50 off a box of Kashi, $1.00 off a box of Kelloggs Heart Smart, coupons for $.75 off a box of Fiber One cereal and $.75 of one box of Fiber One bars.

I bought four boxes of Fiber One cereal, two boxes of Fiber One bars, one box of Kellogs Heart Smart and five boxes of Kashi cereal. My bill was $30.00 before the cashier deducted my coupons, and my final bill was $17.00, and I saved $39.18. But I still have five more coupons to use before Sunday because they didn't have enough cereal on the shelf, so I'll go to another CVS.

Old 03-16-2010, 09:18 PM

2,218 posts, read 3,451,672 times
I am an Aldi shopper...definately cheaper for some things. I VERY reluctantly shop Walmart and Target Superstores for basics (non produce). Supermarkets in my area are insane on produce prices. Of course, I adjust my seasonal produce buying to what is "in season" and this time of year its kinda slim pickin's...altho asparagus is starting to come in at a great price. Hooray!!

Old 03-20-2010, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
I normally buy my whole grain/multi-grain cereal at Target and Walmart. It's usually about $3.50 per box, and I save $$ by using my coupons which range from $.75 to $1.50. This week CVS has my cereal on sale for $2.50 per box. I had coupons for $1.50 off a box of Kashi, $1.00 off a box of Kelloggs Heart Smart, coupons for $.75 off a box of Fiber One cereal and $.75 of one box of Fiber One bars.

I bought four boxes of Fiber One cereal, two boxes of Fiber One bars, one box of Kellogs Heart Smart and five boxes of Kashi cereal. My bill was $30.00 before the cashier deducted my coupons, and my final bill was $17.00, and I saved $39.18. But I still have five more coupons to use before Sunday because they didn't have enough cereal on the shelf, so I'll go to another CVS.
Such a great deal. Congratulations for being so clever!

Old 03-28-2010, 12:06 PM

2,318 posts, read 1,894,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
I like my coop. I can't stand buying crap just because it is cheap. I would rather eat half the amount and eat quality fresh fruits and veggies than the junk some people think they need to buy like hamburger helper or something
I agree . Most food has lost most of it's nutruents by the time it hits the stores .

Bottomline is the dollar for big food industries . No telling how they grow or what they use .

Old 03-29-2010, 12:40 PM

516 posts, read 1,375,369 times
The cheapest store for quality food is Trader Joe's! I cannot beat it, regardless of what I do, coupons, flyers, none of it is cheaper.

Old 03-29-2010, 12:49 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,968,123 times
I don't ever step into Walmart. I f**king hate Walmart. Its like everyone is racing to shop in there. Plus, its where the ugly shop.

I do go to Target often. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to realize most of the items cost more at Target. All you need to do is remember 5 of your weekly items and compare the prices. The only thing I buy from Target is the Target brand cereal. It is cheaper and healthier than the name brand. There generic cereal actually taste better as well which is a rarity.

Old 03-29-2010, 02:45 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,060,716 times
I did find strawberries at WalMart yesterday for $2. That's on par with the cheapest they get at the Kroger or Aldi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living