Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 09:57 AM

7,413 posts, read 6,233,897 times

Advertisements

We are a family of four (our kids include cocker spaniel and poodle). We recently switched from Fry's to Walmart because our grocery bill keeps creeping up.

We eat four servings of fruits and veggies daily and I cook all the meals. We rarely dine out, maybe twice a month. We buy steaks maybe once a year and most my meals main ingredients include either beans or chicken.

This last trip to Walmart depressed me because the bill was higher than I expected, 174! We go once a week, and try hard to hover around 120. It's difficult to cut back on nutritious food, and at Fry's we were averaging 150 to 160 every week (including toiletries) so we switched to Walmart in spite of the sometimes stale, expired and just scary food.

Anyone else frustrated with their grocery bill? I want to compare and see how far off we are from others and their grocery bill.

Old 11-10-2013, 10:30 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,016,354 times
I Average around $89/wk for me and teen aged son. Mostly just Dinners and weekend food.

The $89 includes other misc (Toiletries, Tpaper, Paper Towels, Cleaning supplies, etc),

67% was @ Krogers, 13% Publix 9% @ Walmart, Rest at Other places (Including C-Stores for like quick milk pickup).

Old 11-10-2013, 10:41 AM

1,479 posts, read 2,721,192 times
If it's just me I'll usually spend about $200/month. Most of the time I go to Fry's but I will make a stop at Whole Foods or Trader Joe's if there's something out of the ordinary that I cant find at Fry's. Additionally, I'll spend about $50/month eating out at sitdown restaurants. No fast food joints.

Old 11-10-2013, 10:46 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,914,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
We are a family of four (our kids include cocker spaniel and poodle). We recently switched from Fry's to Walmart because our grocery bill keeps creeping up.

We eat four servings of fruits and veggies daily and I cook all the meals. We rarely dine out, maybe twice a month. We buy steaks maybe once a year and most my meals main ingredients include either beans or chicken.

This last trip to Walmart depressed me because the bill was higher than I expected, 174! We go once a week, and try hard to hover around 120. It's difficult to cut back on nutritious food, and at Fry's we were averaging 150 to 160 every week (including toiletries) so we switched to Walmart in spite of the sometimes stale, expired and just scary food.

Anyone else frustrated with their grocery bill? I want to compare and see how far off we are from others and their grocery bill.
I try to keep mine in the $150 month range and that includes cat food/litter, household supplies and health/beauty aids. I do a main shop once a month, bake my own bread and only have to buy milk every two weeks. I do 90% of my shopping at Walmart partly because I work there and it's convenient but I like Safeway for their discount meat bin (I get some NICE/cheap steaks there) and some of their bakery items. I live by myself though so that has a lot to do with not spending so much.

I wish I could get into the habit of making menus but being by myself it just doesn't matter. I cook once a week...this week it was baked chicken and swiss steak. I also made some green beans/ham/red potatoes and a big salad. All that lasts me the week and then I do it again. If I get tired of any of it I'll freeze some for later. Or share with my mom.

So...I guess I'm not 'frustrated' about how much money I spend and I don't waste any of it. I don't eat out, at all, and don't buy much processed foods like lunch meats. I can usually make good sandwiches from whatever I've cooked for the week. I like roasts for that but don't buy beef very often.

Old 11-10-2013, 10:49 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,914,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post

Wow, I can't imagine. Our store always has really excellent produce, etc. and our shelves are constantly being restocked. Maybe because we are such an incredibly busy store nothing has a chance to sit that long. I dunno but I do know that we get tons of compliments on our produce.

Old 11-10-2013, 10:58 AM

7,413 posts, read 6,233,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Wow, I can't imagine. Our store always has really excellent produce, etc. and our shelves are constantly being restocked. Maybe because we are such an incredibly busy store nothing has a chance to sit that long. I dunno but I do know that we get tons of compliments on our produce.
We went shopping yesterday and all of the great value bread and non-Great Value milk were expired by about two or three days. I've also bought moldy cheese and bread (should have looked at it) and gritty refried beans from Walmart. You really have to check the dates here in order to avoid buying things expired, because this store will leave it on the shelves.

This never happened at Fry's, but I know Walmart purchases differently in order to allow their guests to save money. I live in a small mining town (Globe) so maybe that's why, not a fast turnover.

Old 11-10-2013, 01:59 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
$500-$600/month for two.

I'd rather cut from somewhere else than have to eat crap.

I've tried going to cheaper stores like Wal Mart, but the produce and meat are sub par and most of the rest of their products are unhealthy garbage.

Old 11-10-2013, 05:30 PM

1,523 posts, read 3,902,796 times
$350-$400 for three. This includes alcohol though, which is probably around $50 of this.

Old 11-10-2013, 05:48 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,016,464 times
$80 a week for 2 people? But I will admit we spend quite a bit on food IMO.

Old 11-10-2013, 06:39 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,726,528 times
my average monthly spend was $210 per month for 3 people (me, wife, 3 1/2 year old). that includes stuff like bodywash, shaving supplies, shampoo, paper towels, toilet paper, etc. probably some other stuff since I will categorize Costco trips as grocery even when we may pick up some non-grocery items.

I use coupons a lot to knock down my bill. I have stockpiled a decent amount of food, I don't seem to be finding the deals lately that I used to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living