Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 12:56 PM

21,863 posts, read 25,129,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldPlay View Post
one of the many things that turned me off about meat is the fact of tumors and cancers found in beef and chicken that many people eat unknowingly. It's the cancers and tumors growing in the livestock before it is slaughtered. That can't be good for you.
And? All vegetables and fruits contain naturally occurring carcinogens. Are you going to stop eating eating everything because everything contains carcinogens that are known to be not good for you, or are you going to accept the minimal risk as being irrelevant as compared with starvation?

Old 05-02-2012, 01:05 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,683,376 times
^^^ITA!!! Got my vote!

Oh... And a very very important thing...

"Why it's Bad to Eat Too Many Vegetable Oils: That's right, one more things is bad for you! Vegetable oils contains Omega-6 fatty acids, and we eat lots of these. Sunflower oil, soybean oil, safflower oil and most other vegetable oils contain lots of Omega-6 fatty acids. This is bad for a couple of reasons:

1. Omega-6 fatty acids feed tumors. Cancer growth rates nearly explode in the presence of a high level of Omega-6 fatty acids (which many of us have). On the other hand, Omega-3 fatty acids slow the growth rate of tumors significantly, or even decrease their size.

2. The enzymes used to break parent Omega-6 fatty acids down into various compounds are shared by Omega-3 fatty acids. If you have a lot of Omega-6 fatty acids in your blood stream and only a small amount of Omega-3 fatty acids, the enzymes will probably be used up by the Omega-6 fatty acids, and you will be unable to manufacture DHA out of ALA.

3. Omega-6 fatty acids are broken down into substances which promote inflammation and other problems while Omega-3 fatty acids are broken down into substances that reduce inflammation. Therefore, there should be a balance between the two oil. The typical ratio in the U.S. is currently 22:1 in favor of the Omega-6 fatty acids. The ideal ratio is between 1:1 and 4:1."

~ Fatty Acid Deficiencies and ADD
Why High Fat Diets Make Smarter Babies | Better Baby Book

Sooo... makes sense why people who are vegans & the organic label chasers are more easily manipulated (brain-wise; aka "suckered into" ) by "trend", fru-fru (nonsense) BS other scammers feed them.

Live!!! Man... & "let live!!!"

Old 05-02-2012, 01:28 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,083,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyeats View Post
I
And very much NOT about how the scare tactics of vegans / organic food preachers (they must be desperate losing money since THIS ECONOMY is actually bad for them = less extra money to spend on overpriced "organic foods") try to dominate (scare people) into "eating" their way.
This thread isn't about vegetarianism or veganism nor are there any scare tactics. The fact study after study is showing that red meat, processed meat, etc have negative health effects isn't a scare tactic, its just science.

I have said absolutely nothing about organic foods.

Quote:
= Why let someone else "tell" you how to "spend" your money????
If meat pleases you & "grilling meat" that action makes you happy & make up that great family weekend feeding your family outside that deck enjoying that sunshine... GO for it babe!!!!
So long as I don't have to subsidize their health care, I don't care how people eat. But the OP is about frugality in relation to food, namely, that if someone is trying to lower their food budget a great way to do that is to greatly reduce your consumption of meat and dairy. Now, if someone doesn't want to maintain a frugal food budget then my commentary has no relevance for them.

Quote:
"Why it's Bad to Eat Too Many Vegetable Oils: That's right, one more things is bad for you! Vegetable oils contains Omega-6 fatty acids, and we eat lots of these. Sunflower oil, soybean oil, safflower oil and most other vegetable oils contain lots of Omega-6 fatty acids. This is bad for a couple of reasons
Most things, when over consumed, aren't good for you. But I'm not sure why you think this is relevant, the people that are going to be over-consuming vegetable oils are the people who frequent fast food restaurants or otherwise eat a lot of fried foods.

Also, just to note, most beef in the US doesn't contain that much omega-3 fatty acids. After you take cattle off their natural diet, namely grass, the omega-3 fatty acids vanish.

Last edited by user_id; 05-02-2012 at 01:40 PM..

Old 05-02-2012, 01:37 PM

^^^Like I said before...
When there is a will, there is a way!!!

I also gave you "science" fact (read above) too
(real life lessons too of dead people vs living people & how they live & eat, what better than that as example???)...
Red meat for my DD = top kid in her class (she eats egg every morning & loves her meat & looooves her steak grilled by DH {Rib eye being his fav. meat to grill}... she does not do fast foods though...).

Swamp people thrives by their eco system that feeds them... fish, shellfish, alligators etc..
Here... many people hunt & fishes as well.

*Free meat* especially with re-usable bow & bait...
(That freezerfull of deer meat = red meat)
How is that for "frugal"???

BTW... I just scored at Food Lion for the $0.49 cents per pound chicken leg quarters (manager's special)... still a great deal
than paying $0.99 for that single pepper on sale or that single cucumber (is that single pepper / cucumber 1 pound too???)... yah!!!

P.S. Talking about subsidizing... We pay taxes too (yes, for the illegal health care, welfare & foodstamps people gets their cut from our income) & whole family barely uses that health insurance we paid for (is healthy, are frugal even if we don't have to, we are definitely NOT a "fat" family)... do you need a better example???

Last edited by hueyeats; 05-02-2012 at 01:50 PM..

Old 05-02-2012, 01:43 PM

As I said before, if someone has the time and means to hunt/fish for their meat then my comments aren't relevant, I'm talking about people that have to purchase their foods...which happens to be the vast majority of the country.

As for chicken legs, most of the weight is bones and fat so its not so cheap when you look at what you're paying for the actual meat. Peppers, when they are in season, should cost around $.40~$.50/each.

Old 05-02-2012, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
As I said before, if someone has the time and means to hunt/fish for their meat then my comments aren't relevant, I'm talking about people that have to purchase their foods...which happens to be the vast majority of the country.

As for chicken legs, most of the weight is bones and fat so its not so cheap when you look at what you're paying for the actual meat. Peppers, when they are in season, should cost around $.40~$.50/each.
I still purchase most my foods & use coupons too!!!

As for chicken legs, even if 1/2 is bones, that 99cents is still not equals to that 99 cents of under that pound peppers (filled with air, water especially when misted", seeds & stems; yah take that away too if you like to count!!!).

Even in season... I have not seen 50cents peppers for what?? 2009???
I grow mine free BTW... but as far as I know and compared in my local grocer (pepper prices & that chicken leg price) *not yours*... chicken leg price trumps pepper prices thank you very much.

*You* for all I care, can keep buying that veggies (that I grow anyways) & keep eating veggies so I can get my sale on the meats (less people buy, the better deals for me = easy supply demand.. keeps my meat affordable for me so TY). Now meat (especially red meat), I can't grow... except getting into chicken for the next year.

Old 05-02-2012, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Even in season... I have not seen 50cents peppers for what?? 2009???
2012. Just the other day I bought a bunch of green peppers for $.49/each.

But I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve by your comparison, green peppers aren't a significant source of protein nor are they particularly cheap. You need to compare the chicken legs to plant-based sources of protein, you know legumes, tofu, etc, but those things are much cheaper than even chicken legs which are one of the cheapest meats at the market.

If you're going to eliminate, or greatly reduce, your meat intake you need to replace it with plant-based proteins so talking about peppers, or most vegetables for that matter, misses the mark. You should be talking about legumes, whole grains, etc.

Old 05-02-2012, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
2012. Just the other day I bought a bunch of green peppers for $.49/each.

But I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve by your comparison, green peppers aren't a significant source of protein nor are they particularly cheap. You need to compare the chicken legs to plant-based sources of protein, you know legumes, tofu, etc, but those things are much cheaper than even chicken legs which are one of the cheapest meats at the market.

If you're going to eliminate, or greatly reduce, your meat intake you need to replace it with plant-based proteins so talking about peppers, or most vegetables for that matter, misses the mark.
Good for u that 49cents ea. peppers... is that solo pepper a 1 full pound pepper (I like to see that )???

Lol!!! No can do and it will never ever happen that *if*.
I don't eat legumes nor like Tofu much for protein sources (again, it would be very *boring* a diet for me, so never can do).
And that term *replace* is a replacement NEVER the "real thing"....
yet, protein source from beans & tofu does not have (and will never have) that same components of what say a piece of Chicken / Steak does for the body (Omega 3 vs Omega 6??? things like that, apples & oranges NOT the same!!!). Hence that argument of "meat is meat" not beans or tofu or even "pink slime sub. pretend meat".

Like I said, even to be frugal...
I can easily "grow" tons of veggies or beans if I eat them but I don't...
But I cannot grow a cow or a sheep on my land (can keep chickens though).

You do what you like... BUT should by no means even *try* to sway people your way when the points are so "untrue" and even not applicable to general public or "locations".

People should be able to eat what they like *even* when trying to save... such is called respecting of other's *freedom*.

And there is no such thing to "replace" protein when that mother craves for it "that chicken" for her unborn child that that dad will tell her to eat "tofu" instead.... yah talk to that pregnant woman will you???

Old 05-02-2012, 04:01 PM

The cheapest Tofu I've seen (packaged with tons of water) Norika 10.5 oz @ 99 cents with coupon at the Asian grocery is still NOT that 1 pound chicken thank you if pepper don't fly your boat.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Good for u that 49cents ea. peppers... is that solo pepper a 1 full pound pepper (I like to see that )???
Its the price per pepper. Peppers, for whatever reason, are usually sold by the piece. Cucumbers are 2 for $1 when they are in season.

Quote:
I don't eat legumes nor like Tofu much for protein sources (again, it would be very *boring* a diet for me, so never can do).
And that term *replace* is a replacement NEVER the "real thing"....
yet, protein source from beans & tofu does not have (and will never have) that same components of what say a piece of Chicken / Steak does for the body (Omega 3 vs Omega 6??? things like that, apples & oranges NOT the same!!!).
As I said before, refusing to eat low cost protein sources is like refusing to drive a non-luxury car. You can certainly make that choice, but it doesn't change the fact that red meat, etc are very expensive protein sources.

I'm not sure what you mean by "real thing", the proteins in legumes, grains, etc are very much the "real thing". I said "replace", because I'm talking about someone that is currently getting most of their protein from meat.

As for Omega 3, there are plant sources of Omega 3.

Quote:
And there is no such thing to "replace" protein when that mother craves for it "that chicken" for her unborn child that that dad will tell her to eat "tofu" instead.... yah talk to that pregnant woman will you???
I'm really not sure what you're trying to say, vegetarian diets are perfectly healthy for pregnant women. If a pregnant women craves chicken, its because she is use to eating chicken and not because chicken provides her body some essential nutrition that she can't get in another food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living