Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 09:53 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,083,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
This isn't really what I'm talking about, those that are penny-wise and pound-foolish tend to focus on narrow cost-cutting (big and small) and ignore how everything fits together.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
Most people don't know that certain cancers are more common in vegetarians, for example colon, bowel and cervical cancer.
There may very well be certain cancers that are more common in vegetarians, but colon cancer isn't one of them. You seem to be referring to a single study that was published some what recently, but this study also showed that overall cancer risk was lower in vegetarians.

Regardless, the research on red meat and processed meats is all pretty clear cut: they aren't good for you. Its a lot more fuzzy for other meats, but I'm not suggesting that you need to be vegetarian to be healthy. Instead, I'm pointing out that meats are an expensive food item that aren't necessary for your health. Heck, even when you look at meats the meat that is most popular is the most wasteful and expensive. Just cutting out red meat, fish, and processed meats and replacing them with poultry and plant-based options would result in noticeable savings.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave5150 View Post
I dont believe meat to be a luxury item. Perhaps a 15.99 a lb filet or something. But ground beef, not so much. I dont eat legumes, my family doesnt eat legumes. We dont eat any soy based proteins either. Meat, eaten properly is as good for you as any other source. To much soy is also not good for you.
Ground beef isn't particularly cheap, especially if its lean. So even if we ignore all the studies that show that red meat has negative health consequences, it ends up being one of the most expensive protein sources. So you don't eat legumes, okay, but that is like saying you won't drive a car that costs less than $40,000.

Is someone being frugal if they shop for the best deal on a Mercedes?

Old 05-02-2012, 01:03 AM

261 posts, read 497,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
There may very well be certain cancers that are more common in vegetarians, but colon cancer isn't one of them. You seem to be referring to a single study that was published some what recently, but this study also showed that overall cancer risk was lower in vegetarians.

Regardless, the research on red meat and processed meats is all pretty clear cut: they aren't good for you. Its a lot more fuzzy for other meats, but I'm not suggesting that you need to be vegetarian to be healthy. Instead, I'm pointing out that meats are an expensive food item that aren't necessary for your health. Heck, even when you look at meats the meat that is most popular is the most wasteful and expensive. Just cutting out red meat, fish, and processed meats and replacing them with poultry and plant-based options would result in noticeable savings.
one of the many things that turned me off about meat is the fact of tumors and cancers found in beef and chicken that many people eat unknowingly. It's the cancers and tumors growing in the livestock before it is slaughtered. That can't be good for you.

Old 05-02-2012, 06:33 AM

869 posts, read 1,494,173 times
Quote:
Ground beef isn't particularly cheap, especially if its lean. So even if we ignore all the studies that show that red meat has negative health consequences, it ends up being one of the most expensive protein sources. So you don't eat legumes, okay, but that is like saying you won't drive a car that costs less than $40,000.

Is someone being frugal if they shop for the best deal on a Mercedes?
Saying I dont eat legumes or flour is like saying I dont let bees sting me. And buying meat thats good for me is worth a slighty higher expense. Finding the best price on a mercedes that you have saved and budgeted for is being frugal if having a mercedes is important to you. You are comparing, what by most, is an excessive unnecessary expense to something I have researched and found to be the best and healthiest option for my family. While I may find a mercedes to be excessive, a Volvo is one of the safest cars on the road and is pretty expensive but if I cut corners and saved money to buy a Volvo in order to have a long lasting and safer car then its worth the expense because 1) I wont have to buy a new car for quite some year, unless I get in an accident which 2) The chances of coming from the accident in a better state of health than a Kia or Honda is worth the extra expense.

Old 05-02-2012, 06:34 AM

869 posts, read 1,494,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldPlay View Post
one of the many things that turned me off about meat is the fact of tumors and cancers found in beef and chicken that many people eat unknowingly. It's the cancers and tumors growing in the livestock before it is slaughtered. That can't be good for you.
That is why I buy from a local farmer and get grassfed antibiotic free. I can see the cow get butchered and i can follow it to the butcher and see every piece of meat given to me and the state of the animal pre and post slaughter.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:06 AM

2,162 posts, read 3,364,962 times
Quote:
Has anybody noted the irony of someone being frugal and overweight? Of being frugal and consuming meat/dairy on a daily basis? According to recent statistics around 70% of Americans are overweight, yet being overweight has numerous costly health ramifications and the extra pounds result in higher food consumption.

So then, shouldn't maintaining a low BMI and eating little meat and dairy be one of the first things a frugal minded person focuses on it? And yet.....its usually ignored.

Whenever I eat out at restaurants I'm always amazed how hard it is to find a dish that is a normal portion size....
I am not sure that meat/protein is a culprit per se, but yes, restaurant portions are crazy. I ordered a salad yesterday that was on a plate twice the size of my head.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:26 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Meat can be necessary for optimum health, depending on medical needs. Due to severe iron deficiency anemia that does not respond to non-heme iron or supplements, I've had hematologists specifically recommend red meat, due to my level of anemia. I still don't eat it too frequently, though.

Iron absorption is a problem for some (I'm one of them), when it comes to non-heme iron sources. Yep, there are plant-based sources of iron, and they are great foods, but if your body doesn't properly synthesize the iron from them, it's not really going to matter too much. Non-heme iron is harder for all people's bodies to absorb, to an extent, but for some anemics, it really doesn't get absorbed in any amount that matters at all. In order to manage severe iron deficiency anemia, red meat is my only real option, as my body does not sufficiently absorb iron from plant sources or in supplement form. I still don't eat it often enough, and am basically continually at a pretty low hematocrit level. I don't especially need meat for the protein, I get that from lots of other sources with no problem, but it's the only really effective source of iron for my particular medical needs.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:44 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,479,950 times
Quote:
This isn't really what I'm talking about, those that are penny-wise and pound-foolish tend to focus on narrow cost-cutting (big and small) and ignore how everything fits together.
So what's that article (in your own words) about and how does it differ?

Old 05-02-2012, 12:45 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,683,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
ragnarkar: 1, user_id: 0
ITA!!!

As for the "fear of cancer tumor" in the meat...

Steve Jobs = dead = "0"
while
Lance Armstrong = alive, healthy & well = "1"

I am sure he does not go "X'raying" into his plate of animal protein (steak) to see if it has tumor or not!!!!

So "scare tactics" from the vegans will never work for me.

"If anything"....
It teaches a good lesson.... = live while you can!!!

And very much NOT about how the scare tactics of vegans / organic food preachers (they must be desperate losing money since THIS ECONOMY is actually bad for them = less extra money to spend on overpriced "organic foods") try to dominate (scare people) into "eating" their way.
***Live while you can!!! Everyday like its your last because you really just never "know"***

= Why let someone else "tell" you how to "spend" your money????
If meat pleases you & "grilling meat" that action makes you happy & make up that great family weekend feeding your family outside that deck enjoying that sunshine... GO for it babe!!!!

P.S. Who do you think is the loser???
Before dying... someone who has enjoyed life or someone who did not???

So "if" being vegan flys your boat... so fly it.
Just being vegan may be good for you but will be very very boring a diet to many like me!!!! But if you like it... I'll not tell you no, its YOUR money after all!!!!

For people like me...
Let their Weber Grill (like in their commercials) do the talking & jiving!!!

***And plus... its much more enjoyable grilling the meats (consider it is a longer time to cook meat) than that shorter time of grilling veg... so who gets to enjoy "grilling" longer???? Not that veg. griller again *boring*!!!!

Last edited by hueyeats; 05-02-2012 at 12:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living