Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 10:51 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,151,182 times

Advertisements

Has anybody noted the irony of someone being frugal and overweight? Of being frugal and consuming meat/dairy on a daily basis? According to recent statistics around 70% of Americans are overweight, yet being overweight has numerous costly health ramifications and the extra pounds result in higher food consumption.

So then, shouldn't maintaining a low BMI and eating little meat and dairy be one of the first things a frugal minded person focuses on it? And yet.....its usually ignored.

Whenever I eat out at restaurants I'm always amazed how hard it is to find a dish that is a normal portion size....

Old 04-24-2012, 11:28 PM

5,727 posts, read 10,155,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
t? Of being frugal and consuming meat/dairy on a daily basis?....
So then, shouldn't maintaining a low BMI and eating little meat and dairy be one of the first things a frugal minded person focuses on it? And yet.....its usually ignored.

no. I like meat and it's healthy.

When I was eating a semi Palio diet I was doing great.

Still not overweight and if I don't get my weekly steak....

Old 04-24-2012, 11:51 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,151,182 times
Saying "I like it and its healthy" doesn't exactly address the question. Even if you assume, despite evidence that suggests otherwise, that eating meat every day is healthy its still a very expensive food...a food that is by no means necessary for your health.

Now you could be slim, but most Americans wouldn't consider themselves overweight even though around 70% of them are. People think about their weight in relation to others, not medical standards. That is, since so many Americans are overweight you can be slimmer than the majority yet still be overweight.

So, like I was saying, frugality seems to end when it comes to dietary habits which I find rather peculiar...

Old 04-25-2012, 04:39 AM

2,251 posts, read 6,974,524 times
I agree with you....frugality does end with dietary habits. I believe its because in most cases its a lot harder to see the savings. People see instant savings when they buy a whole lot of unhealthy food at once but you don't know about the medical issues and costs until it happens to you.

Old 04-25-2012, 05:54 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,204,970 times
Seems like you can eat fattening food cheap. A lot of processed food, snack foods, and fast food have higher calories, yet costs less than maybe produce & vegtables, better cheeses and breads, etc.

I try to be frugal with food but I still spend a lot on it for things like fresh fruit and vegtables. The food frugality for me is more in not eating out and not buying pop or snack foods (well, ok, I will buy trail mix and chocoloate sometimes).

Old 04-25-2012, 06:45 AM

7,031 posts, read 14,533,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Has anybody noted the irony of someone being frugal and overweight? Of being frugal and consuming meat/dairy on a daily basis? According to recent statistics around 70% of Americans are overweight, yet being overweight has numerous costly health ramifications and the extra pounds result in higher food consumption.

Whenever I eat out at restaurants I'm always amazed how hard it is to find a dish that is a normal portion size....
I don't see a direct link between frugality and being overweight. I see one between being overweight and poverty. Then again, many "poor" people aren't exactly frugal even in their eating habits.

My general rule is eating healthy trumps eating frugally. Although I don't always require organic, I make sure I get some in my diet.

I used to focus on getting by by spending as little as possible in food. Then I wanted to eat healthy, so I tried only buying healthy food on the same budget.. if I couldn't afford it, then I had to get by on less food. I ended up losing weight in the process.

I personally would rather have a meal of quality, delicious, and healthy food than to be stuffed with mediocre food for the same price. Quality >> quantity when it comes to food.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:46 AM

607 posts, read 1,220,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
Seems like you can eat fattening food cheap. A lot of processed food, snack foods, and fast food have higher calories, yet costs less than maybe produce & vegtables, better cheeses and breads, etc.
This. Generally, healthy food is more expensive. Preparing a meal with fresh ingredients is usually costs more and is more time consuming than making something processed...think frozen dinners and hamburger helper. A lot of lower income people also don't have a lot of money to spend at once on food so buying things in bulk to save on the per portion price isn't feasible.
I recently went to volunteer at a food bank and in addition to making an effort to provide more fresh foods to their customers, the food bank also did nutrition education outreach that included mobile kitchens that would visit libraries or other public spaces and show people how to prepare low cost, healthy meals. It seems to be helpful.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:40 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,699,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
no. I like meat and it's healthy.

When I was eating a semi Palio diet I was doing great.

Still not overweight and if I don't get my weekly steak....
Agreed, agreed!

Who says meat eater are automatically obese??
Heard of Atkin's diet???

I love my meat & is one thing I will never give up...
= hunt even if I have to.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:42 AM

26,262 posts, read 19,180,325 times
I find that bulk foods such as grains (oat, wheat, spelt, amaranth, quinoa, millet, etc), rice, beans, lentils, split peas, pasta, etc, bought in large 5-gal buckets saves tons of money. A big part of my diet consists of these sorts of foods and luckily they tend to be the cheapest. Bulk foods in general (flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, etc) saves lots of cash. Plus if you've never tasted home-baked bread made from home-ground wheat... you're missing out. Yum.

These sorts of foods, consumed in reasonable quantities are not going to lead to obesity.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:46 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,699,415 times
Frugal (couponing) people is not overweight like foodstamps people is.... just from "observing" the line, JMHO.

Couponing & being frugal = use their own money hence have to save.
Foodstamps = free money = do not "have to" control on spending as much (like making own food from scratch to save money, hence more "fastfoods" like TV dinner, junk food etc. is consume).

So... separate out frugal foods & getting "free" food...
BIG difference!!!

P.S. You'd be skinny too if you have to "barely be able to" pay for your own food with your own hard earned money & also feed (via tax) others via welfare & foodstamps with that same money too!
Now, that's called "stretching it".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living