Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 11:19 AM

25,713 posts, read 18,788,778 times

Advertisements

So cutting from $20,000,000 a year to $18,000,000 is considered frugal? Not so sure I buy this definition.

Here is a dictionary definition:

: characterized by or reflecting economy in the use of resources .

Would economy of resources be the Al Gore mansion compared to The Louvre? Thus we consider Al Gore frugal? Or would it be the guy living in an 89 sq ft cabin compared to a typical McMansion?

I agree that it's a relative term, but certainly the scale of base comparison has to be taken into account. There is nothing frugal about a home such as Al Gore's.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Diet isn't relative, everyone's body works pretty much the same. The fact that people have different food preferences is largely related to the sorts of foods they have acculturated themselves to, hence changing your diet is just a matter of changing dietary habits. Of course, it can take awhile to break old habits so most people end up sticking with what they're use to. Hence, this is more or less a psychological/cultural issue rather than a biological one.

70% of the country is overweight....I think its time people stop trying to sell what they wish to eat and start thinking about what they should eat.
Which is less.

Here's a question for you: what percent of Asian populations are overweight? And what is the primary ingredient in their diet? And is it high in carbs or low in carbs?

Old 05-01-2012, 11:22 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,479,950 times
Quote:
Okay, but relative to what exactly? Your previous years spending? Last months? Last decades? What exactly? So suppose after cutting down to $130,000, the next year I spend $135,000. Am I no longer frugal? Is the baseline the $150,000 or the $130,000?
Does it even matter? Do we need to even develop a scientific definition of frugality? It's an elementary concept. You spend less now than what you usually spent before.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:24 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,273,184 times
Quote:
Has anybody noted the irony of someone being frugal and overweight? Of being frugal and consuming meat/dairy on a daily basis? According to recent statistics around 70% of Americans are overweight, yet being overweight has numerous costly health ramifications and the extra pounds result in higher food consumption.

So then, shouldn't maintaining a low BMI and eating little meat and dairy be one of the first things a frugal minded person focuses on it? And yet.....its usually ignored.

Whenever I eat out at restaurants I'm always amazed how hard it is to find a dish that is a normal portion size....
No, I have never seen this before. Where have you seen this?

Frugal about food consumption or the cost of food? Because the values are quite different. For example someone might be frugal about spending money on food because they may feel a $.99 value meal hamburger at X fast food joint will suffice both their frugality and hunger.
In hindsight however it may be detrimental to their long term health.

Whereas someone may spend that same $.99 on an organic avocado and be as satisfied as the former, but with potentially more upside to health benefits.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
You spend less now than what you usually spent before.
This is your own definition. It's not a dictionary definition.

If I ate 4 dozen donuts per day up until last week and now I am only eating 3 dozen per day, am I being frugal in my consumption of donuts?

Old 05-01-2012, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
This is your own definition. It's not a dictionary definition.

If I ate 4 dozen donuts per day up until last week and now I am only eating 3 dozen per day, am I being frugal in my consumption of donuts?
Relative or absolute definition?

Relatively, yes.

Absolutely, no.

For an absolute definition of frugality, you need to compare your spending to the spending of pesasants in 3rd world countries living on $3/day (yes, it can be done.)

Again, it's a simple concept.

If I'm driving 100 and slow down to 90, I'm still going slower but in absolute terms, most would still think it's fast.

Old 05-01-2012, 12:04 PM

1,327 posts, read 3,677,903 times
I find eating meat to be a bit of a luxury, but don't tell that to my husband. My husband works hard and expends a lot of calories throughout the day. Plus he eats about 3 times as much as I do, but doesn't gain a pound. The high metabolism help with that and his labor intensive job.
My daughter needs to be on a good diet of meats, fruits and vegetables (due to her arthritis). She really shouldn't be eating too much dairy, because it is an inflamatory, so I have to spend extra money on almond milk.
I can buy a package of chicken breast for about $10 to $15 and make 3 to 4 meals out of it. I'll buy a pork loin for about the same money and make 3 meals out of it. A whole chicken is 2 meals, because after I roast it the next day it becomes soup. I still spend more money on fruits and veggies than I do meat.

Therefore are fruits and veggies a "luxury" item?

Old 05-01-2012, 12:20 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,083,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Does it even matter? Do we need to even develop a scientific definition of frugality? It's an elementary concept. You spend less now than what you usually spent before.
Yes, I think having clear notions matters. In the case of frugality, I often find that its just another word for "cheap" and it usually results in being penny-wise and pound-foolish which is the point I'm trying to get across with the OP. That is, ignoring your weight and consuming luxury food items but then cutting coupons, buying in bulk, etc to safe some pennies.

Old 05-01-2012, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Yes, I think having clear notions matters. In the case of frugality, I often find that its just another word for "cheap" and it usually results in being penny-wise and pound-foolish which is the point I'm trying to get across with the OP. That is, ignoring your weight and consuming luxury food items but then cutting coupons, buying in bulk, etc to safe some pennies.
Then the easiest solution is to be penny foolish pound wise (of course penny wise pound wise is better but there's only so much one can do in a day..)

Old 05-01-2012, 12:29 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,083,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LABART View Post
I still spend more money on fruits and veggies than I do meat.
If you avoid expensive fruits and veggies and only purchase what is in season from stores that offer plentiful options then the costs should be pretty low.

Like most meat, buying out-of-season produce is a costly luxury.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living