Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 09:17 AM

43 posts, read 167,172 times

Advertisements

I'm curious what people think about "ethnic" foods becoming mainstream. My mom says that in the late 50s-60s, Italian food was considered exotic. Now, I think most everyone is familiar with it, most like it, and even if they don't like it, they don't see it as strange or foreign. I think Chinese is the same way. Mexican, too. What about sushi? Thai? Indian? Greek? All are extremely popular around me, but I know there are lots of people who think these are strange and refuse to try it.

"Ethnic" is a changing definition - I think Italian would have been considered this at one point, but not anymore. And the Italian food we eat isn't the same as in Italy, Chinese here is usually quite different than in China, etc.

It's probably regional, too. In a big city or an area with a large population of a certain culture, different foods are more readily available, so seem normal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 09:52 AM

Location: I never said I was perfect so no refunds here sorry!
6,489 posts, read 7,181,213 times
Mexican food and Im glad cause I have grown to like the taste and value !!!

Old 07-01-2009, 09:57 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,626,809 times
In Britain Ethnic food is in large parts Indian/Pakistani/Bangladeshi foods but Thai , Japanese and Mexican are also popular though not as prevalent in smaller towns.

Chinese food is of course also very popular . But until the 1980s most things with any flavour seemed quite exotic to most British people ( garlic, herbs, wine, cream etc..) which I always found odd.

French and Italian cuisines used to be considered exotic which to me is utterly bizarre.

Of course people now travel a lot more and thus tastes have been expanded and widened and nobody thinks anything funny of having Pasticchio or Thai Green Curry.

We all use herbs, spices and "exotic" ingredients in our daily cooking and even older people now seem used to a bit more taste ....

The exotic food I would like to see more in the UK is Moroccan and Japanese, still mostly seen in bigger cities and mostly not terribly faithful representations of the real thing.

Old 07-01-2009, 10:16 AM
Gue

24,118 posts, read 10,141,675 times
It seems like most food is mainstream.

You can buy fresh & frozen pierogis. I agree sushi is so common & Greek food, like gyros are everywhere.

I would like to phrase your question differently & say what ethnic foods have not gone mainstream?

Really just those using offal are all I can think of...

Old 07-01-2009, 12:18 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,356,020 times
Although we have a few Korean restaurants here, I wouldn't say it's gone mainstream yet. I'm fond of Ethiopian food, but it's still relatively low profile.

Old 07-01-2009, 12:20 PM

767 posts, read 2,066,302 times
Definitely Chinese, Mexican, and Italian have become mainstream. The next big things that seem to be making headway now are Thai and certain types of Japanese foods.

Old 07-01-2009, 12:38 PM

2,450 posts, read 5,601,861 times
I think a lot of Americanized ethnic foods have become popular, but often the cuisine as a whole rarely become populat.
Eg, Thai is hugely popular, but is often sweetened, lacking the fish sauce, etc...what's
Or say, Italian food in the US vs what's in Italy
In addition, in many countries there are large regional differences, so to say something like "Chinese food" or "Mexican food" entails a huge array of sub-cuisines.

Old 07-01-2009, 04:29 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,179,793 times
Chinese and Mexican. LOVE both of them!!!

Old 07-01-2009, 04:59 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
Spaghetti. Macaroni. Bananas. Yoghurt. Pizza. Frankfurters. Mayonnaise. French (actually Belgian) Fries. Shredded Wheat (Turkish).

Old 07-01-2009, 07:35 PM

33 posts, read 78,921 times
I think all the foods in the US began as an ethnic food of some sort or another, after all this is the "melting-pot" of the world.

Italian, Mexican (originally Spanish), Irish, German, French, British, Chinese, Japanese is getting a strong foothold recently and so too is Indian gaining ground!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink