Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 11:15 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,663,697 times

Advertisements

I think Thai and Indian dishes are quickly becoming mainstream American. Japanese foods are a dark horse but many dishes from that culture (sushi and teriyaki, for a couple of examples) have been American dishes for years.

Greek, Lebanese, Vietnamese, Jamaican/Caribbean, and, to a lesser extent, Persian and Afghan food is becoming more well known to more mainstream Americans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2013, 02:12 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,236,693 times
There is all of arguing going on. Yes, all foods are essentially from "another country" in America, with the exception of something like American Indian Fry Bread.

But if anyone wants to say that a hamburger or a sandwich are "foreign foods" they are being way too technical and not hearing the spirit of the OPs question.

When I was growing up in Brooklyn NY, Chinese food, Italian food Eastern European Jewish food, French food, Polish food, German food and Scandinavian were all available in Brooklyn.

They were all thought of as foreign and a little exotic.

Out of the one's that I mentioned, at least on the East Coast, I'd say that Italian food is the most prepared in the home. So, I'd say that's pretty mainstream.

Not many average cooks attempt Chinese cooking at home. Usually it's take out. There was no Mexican food on the East Coast until the 1980s.

Another way to define mainstream besides home cooked is "do they serve it on a school lunch menu?

If that is a criteria, and I think it may be a good one - I'd sat that Italian, Polish, Chinese, and Mexican are all crossovers. The others not as much.

Any food that crosses over is not authentic any longer. It's been adjusted.

Old 08-20-2013, 04:45 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,583,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
There is all of arguing going on. Yes, all foods are essentially from "another country" in America, with the exception of something like American Indian Fry Bread.

But if anyone wants to say that a hamburger or a sandwich are "foreign foods" they are being way too technical and not hearing the spirit of the OPs question.

When I was growing up in Brooklyn NY, Chinese food, Italian food Eastern European Jewish food, French food, Polish food, German food and Scandinavian were all available in Brooklyn.

They were all thought of as foreign and a little exotic.

Out of the one's that I mentioned, at least on the East Coast, I'd say that Italian food is the most prepared in the home. So, I'd say that's pretty mainstream.

Not many average cooks attempt Chinese cooking at home. Usually it's take out. There was no Mexican food on the East Coast until the 1980s.

Another way to define mainstream besides home cooked is "do they serve it on a school lunch menu?

If that is a criteria, and I think it may be a good one - I'd sat that Italian, Polish, Chinese, and Mexican are all crossovers. The others not as much.

Any food that crosses over is not authentic any longer. It's been adjusted.
Many people probably eat more Native American foods than they think.

Old 08-20-2013, 05:03 PM

110 posts, read 165,826 times
The first Indian restaurant in England pre-dates our first Fish & Chip shop by about fifty years. Some years ago my father visited and we went into Manchester - loads of nouvelle cuisine and fancy European Continental places which he turned his nose up at then turned and said 'isn't there anywhere serving English food, I fancy a Chicken Curry'. When I was a child in the early sixties about a third of the people in our area were Italian, and they had a mobile shop come round to the street to serve them because the regular shops didn't sell Italian - they did sell Curries though!

Old 08-21-2013, 03:46 AM

808 posts, read 1,879,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I think Thai and Indian dishes are quickly becoming mainstream American. Japanese foods are a dark horse but many dishes from that culture (sushi and teriyaki, for a couple of examples) have been American dishes for years.

Greek, Lebanese, Vietnamese, Jamaican/Caribbean, and, to a lesser extent, Persian and Afghan food is becoming more well known to more mainstream Americans.
I'm a bit surprised Indian food didn't become mainstream in America as quickly as it did in the UK, considering there are twice as many Indian Americans than British Indians.

Old 08-21-2013, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely95 View Post
Many people probably eat more Native American foods than they think.
Most Corn-based Mexican cuisine, for example.

Old 08-21-2013, 05:36 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post

Some of these ethnic foods depend on where you live; you would have to live in very large, diverse cities to see some of them be considered mainstream. Thai and Indian yes, the rest you suggested are a long way from being considered mainstream. Maybe I just have a little different idea of what the OP means by mainstream. I think of mainstream as restaurants that attract a large part of the population and most of us take for granted. Certainly Persian and Afghan foods do not fit into that category.

Old 08-21-2013, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Some of these ethnic foods depend on where you live; you would have to live in very large, diverse cities to see some of them be considered mainstream. Thai and Indian yes, the rest you suggested are a long way from being considered mainstream. Maybe I just have a little different idea of what the OP means by mainstream. I think of mainstream as restaurants that attract a large part of the population and most of us take for granted. Certainly Persian and Afghan foods do not fit into that category.
I guess what I'm saying is on the coasts anyway, you can find Persian and Afghan restaurants in increasing numbers - just as Thai was all over LA and NYC 25 years ago and is now in practically every city and every state, so will Afghan and Persian eventually become as prevalent as Thai - though it may take a while, I do think it will happen. In LA, NYC, NJ, NC, GA, FL, IL, NV, PA, MD you can find good Afghan.

Old 08-21-2013, 12:45 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,891,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post

As for ethnic food that is now mainstream? I think the winner is absolutely siracha!
I think, in order for a cuisine to be "mainstream", I should have at least heard of it.

Old 08-21-2013, 01:03 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,955,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
I think, in order for a cuisine to be "mainstream", I should have at least heard of it.
Where are you that Sriracha isn't everywhere? It's ubiquitous! Even where I live--and we go through several bottles a year at my house!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink