Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2013, 04:28 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,162,988 times

Advertisements

Specifically I want to buy Ethiopian berbere, either in paste of powder form.

Berbere - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Penzey's carries it but from the description I am not sure how authentic it is. It's missing many of the lesser-known spices traditionally in the mix.

I'm also interested in restocking my spice cabinet and I do a lot of Indian, Ethiopian and middle-eastern cooking....I find the spices and mixes at food stores don't quite get it right. I do get some Indian spices at Indian groceries here but generally I live in a cultural wasteland as far as food is concerned so I'm looking online.

Any suggestions for really good online vendors of spices and condiments and such from around the world?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 05:00 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,878,548 times
Check-out Zamouri Spices. I love to cook Moroccan tagines and Ethiopian wats. I've made my own spice blends but I'd rather buy a good pre-mixed spice blend. I use the Zamouri Ras el Hanout in my tagines and I found it very fresh and flavorful. Look under "Spice Blends" on the Zamouri site and you'll see Ethiopian Berbere.

Old 06-06-2013, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Check-out Zamouri Spices. I love to cook Moroccan tagines and Ethiopian wats. I've made my own spice blends but I'd rather buy a good pre-mixed spice blend. I use the Zamouri Ras el Hanout in my tagines and I found it very fresh and flavorful. Look under "Spice Blends" on the Zamouri site and you'll see Ethiopian Berbere.
Ooh! What a neat site. They even have summack. I am shopping as we speak.

Old 06-06-2013, 05:31 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Any suggestions for really good online vendors of spices and condiments and such from around the world?

Have you tried the Spice House in Chicago? While they are related by blood to the folks that own Penzey's, they have a greater variety of spices and can generally find or blend what you need.

Merchants of Exquisite Spices, Herbs and Seasonings | Chicago | Milwaukee | Evanston | Geneva

I am a little surprised that you are having so much problem finding authentic spices in SE Michigan given that there are more Middle Eastern restaurants and Arabic people in the Detroit area.

My first stop would be at Rocky Peanut in Detroit. They carry a wide variety of bulk spices.

http://www.rockypeanut.com/store/usermods/home.asp

My second stop would be a drive along Warren Ave. in Detroit and Dearborn to stop at the many Arab markets in the area.

Penzey's is giving away free samples (1.5 oz) of Berbere Seasoning with a $3 purchase. I picked up mine last week.

Last edited by jlawrence01; 06-06-2013 at 05:40 PM..

Old 06-06-2013, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Have you tried the Spice House in Chicago? While they are related by blood to the folks that own Penzey's, they have a greater variety of spices and can generally find or blend what you need.

Merchants of Exquisite Spices, Herbs and Seasonings | Chicago | Milwaukee | Evanston | Geneva

I am a little surprised that you are having so much problem finding authentic spices in SE Michigan given that there are more Middle Eastern restaurants and Arabic people in the Detroit area.

My first stop would be at Rocky Peanut in Detroit. They carry a wide variety of bulk spices.

Gifts, Fruits and Nuts - Rocky Peanut Company - Rocky Peanut

My second stop would be a drive along Warren Ave. in Detroit and Dearborn to stop at the many Arab markets in the area.

Penzey's is giving away free samples (1.5 oz) of Berbere Seasoning with a $3 purchase. I picked up mine last week.
Thanks JL, I was just in Evanston, too! I do go to the Chicago area a few times a year. The Spice House looks interesting and close to my in-law's house.

I'm just north of Flint; that's what I was referring to as a "cultural wasteland." I probably don't get downstate often enough...I know that in the metro Detroit area and Dearborn for sure there are many, many more food choices than up here in the Flint/Saginaw/Bay City region. But when I do go down that way I am usually in "going to an event" mode or "going on a job" rather than "shopping for spices."

Old 06-06-2013, 07:38 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
I'm just north of Flint; that's what I was referring to as a "cultural wasteland." I probably don't get downstate often enough...I know that in the metro Detroit area and Dearborn for sure there are many, many more food choices than up here in the Flint/Saginaw/Bay City region. But when I do go down that way I am usually in "going to an event" mode or "going on a job" rather than "shopping for spices."
Rule #1 - Always combine work and pleasure ...

Old 08-16-2013, 04:40 PM

4 posts, read 3,802 times
Default Ethnic Spices

Try Love That Spice. We are a small family owned business. Large enough to carry the spices you need yet small enough to give you the level of service you seek. I am American and my husband is native to Sri Lanka so we have a direct pulse on the spices that come from Asia. Our spices are shipped directly from my family store in Sri Lanka, literally from the field to your door! While we may not be the biggest spice company, what I can tell you is that our spices are pure and freshly ground in small batches and then hand-crafted into ethnic spice blends inspired by world cuisines. We take pride in our products and you will see that in the care we put in to every order big or small. From the very beginning, with every order, we send you a free sample spice and a recipe card to collect and after your 3rd order we upgrade you to a spice jar, all for free. We pride ourselves with selling quality and customer service first and spices second. Everything we do at Love That Spice is centered around making our customers happy, that's what you can expect from our family. At Love That Spice, we believe that "simple actions often speak the loudest."

Find your inspiration at [URL="http://www.LoveThatSpice.com"]www.LoveThatSpice.com[/URL]
Attached Thumbnails
Places to buy "exotic/ethnic" spices online?-cinnamon-sticks.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink