Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 07:29 PM

1,116 posts, read 2,965,066 times

Advertisements

Sushi is like pizza where I am. You can get it take out, at the grocery store, and even all you can eat at a buffet. Decent quality too.

I still don't see much Vietnamese or Lao food, though I have my favorite spot. I don't think it will ever be all that popular because of how sharply fishy/shrimpy it can be..but ya never know, I would have thought raw fish wouldn't have been palatable to most Americans.

Authentic taquerias are coming up too, thank GAWD. Really, I could only deal with that saucy, cheddar-cheesy TexMex for so long. Give me tomatillos, cilantro, asado, and cotija, and I'm a happy girl.

Lebanese food is also getting a huge following, which I am certainly happy about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2009, 09:12 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,460,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeard View Post
I think a lot of Americanized ethnic foods have become popular, but often the cuisine as a whole rarely become popular

I agree. People in the US have grown to LOVE sushi, but many people do not like homestyle Japanese food. Sure people will eat soba, udon or tempura, but how many people are just as into some of the everyday foods???

Anyway, Indian and Thai food have both become extremely popular. I used to have to travel for Indian food and had few people who liked it. Now there are many more restaurants, with many more fans.

Old 07-05-2009, 07:44 AM

339 posts, read 1,169,517 times
I cringe when people say 'Chinese' food now, even though I used to say that too not so long ago!! Some posters have already pointed out about regional differences in cuisine, but when it is exported you often tend to get the bastardized version of one particular region. In my home country Chinese food generally means greasy take-out noodles, wontons, sweet and sour, the usual suspects. But I had a big revelation when I moved to Hong Kong and found out that there is Cantonese, Shanghainese, Sichuanese, Shangdong-ese and the list goes on and on. Not only that, but the biggest surprise was that the southern chinese are rice eaters...but the northerners prefer wheat-based noodles and breads. As with any place, the list of different regional cuisines is as diverse as the population.

I personally love Vietnamese, even more than Thai, and I think that seems to be becoming much more popular in mainstream western dining - I think it's the 'new' Thai.

Old 07-05-2009, 01:45 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,681,263 times
Depends on how common it is to make at HOME, versus going to a restaurant to eat it. Then again, some cultures might always make, say, latkes, at home--and it still not be considered "mainstream".

I've had pierogis at home, but working in stores, I've found them sold in the frozen food section of the store. Somewhat surprising to me.

Old 07-07-2009, 04:55 PM

3,734 posts, read 4,549,510 times
The most popular mainstream ones are Chinese, Italian and Mexican.

However, there are certain dishes--if not the entire cuisine--from a few other ethnic groups that have been assimilated into the American diet for quite a while:
Eastern European Jewish food: bagels, kaiser rolls, pastrami, rye bread, kosher pickles, cheesecake, strudel, rugelach, macaroons

Middle Eastern: hummous, baba ghanoush, kebabs

Japanese: sushi

Old 07-08-2009, 08:59 AM

1,273 posts, read 4,162,239 times
I think it also depends on what part of the country you live in. Living in the northeast, we have a large variety of authentic restaurants to choose from that are very popular with everyone. In my opinion, I'd pick an authentic small restaurant over one of the larger chains.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:59 AM
ECG

42,606 posts, read 2,747,335 times
I guess is where you live...Because here in Broward County and Miami, Cuban Food still is number 1.

Old 08-16-2013, 04:45 PM

4 posts, read 3,805 times
Moroccan, Korean and upscale Mexican cuisine are really on the rise. I have learned to cook a dish from each group. I must say they are all simply divine!

Old 08-16-2013, 05:01 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,956,847 times
It does depend on where you are. I bet that some people would be surprised to learn that there are Czech restaurants & bakeries in much of Texas. And actual chains that specialize in kolaches (I must admit they are a "Texanized" version, but still!).
If you want closer to true Chinese food, ask to see the Chinese menu. Most decent Chinese restaurants have two menus--one American & one that is (usually) more authentic.

Old 08-16-2013, 06:04 PM

23,562 posts, read 24,082,840 times
Mainstream: Italian, Mexican, Chinese
Getting close to mainstream: Japanese, Greek, Thai, Brazilian, Cuban, Korean
Will eventually become mainstream: Vietnamese, Indian
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink