Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2008, 08:56 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,092,418 times

Advertisements

Yes, I did play that tune ... but there is lots of room in there

I've also tried the "You know - we're going to be overeating while on vacation so we really should just eat what we have here tonight" number. That wasn't received very well either ... lol

Charley

Old 07-17-2008, 08:57 AM

20,797 posts, read 9,789,757 times
I do cook for a large crowd because of the day care but tonight and everyone may have it. I can have pretty much anything because it goes on a point system. I think I will make a Cuban dish called

Breast of Chicken Al Ajillo (Ajillo means "with garlic sauce")

2 whole boneless skinless chicken breasts
2 Tablespoons Olive oil
4 cloves garlic thinly sliced
1/4 cup white wine
2 Tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
2 Tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro

Cut the chicken breasts in half along the breastbone line and set aside.
Heat the olive oil in large saute' pan over medium high heqat. Add chicken breasts and cook until browned approximately 2 minutes on each side.
Add the garlic and saute' about 2-3 minutes.
Add white wine, parsley and cilantro.
Cover and reduce the heat to medium..simmer 5 minutes and serve.

Looks easy enough and I guess I can use Pam instead of Olive oil but I am allowed the olive oil.

Old 07-17-2008, 09:03 AM

48,534 posts, read 22,157,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyworld View Post
I do cook for a large crowd because of the day care but tonight and everyone may have it. I can have pretty much anything because it goes on a point system. I think I will make a Cuban dish called

Breast of Chicken Al Ajillo (Ajillo means "with garlic sauce")

2 whole boneless skinless chicken breasts
2 Tablespoons Olive oil
4 cloves garlic thinly sliced
1/4 cup white wine
2 Tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
2 Tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro

Cut the chicken breasts in half along the breastbone line and set aside.
Heat the olive oil in large saute' pan over medium high heqat. Add chicken breasts and cook until browned approximately 2 minutes on each side.
Add the garlic and saute' about 2-3 minutes.
Add white wine, parsley and cilantro.
Cover and reduce the heat to medium..simmer 5 minutes and serve.

Looks easy enough and I guess I can use Pam instead of Olive oil but I am allowed the olive oil.
It sounds very good and easy! I think I would do the Olive Oil; it sounds like it is part of the dish......garlic, EVO, wine, cilantro and parsley sounds different from garlic, wine and Pam!

Old 07-17-2008, 09:04 AM

Charley.........tell your wife that you will do the cooking tonight and it will be a surprise. Maybe that will work. Just come up with a fancy name for it.

Old 07-17-2008, 09:54 AM

68,427 posts, read 54,871,699 times
This AM I pounded a chicken breast thin, spread it with chopped sun-dried tomatoes, Kalamata and oil-cured olives, and a little mozzarella. Rolled it up and then wrapped in plastic and twisted the ends like a Tootsie-Roll, after a day in the fridge it'll hold its shape while it gets pankoed and sauted, probably get some farmer's market Joisey tomatoes to go alongside.

Old 07-17-2008, 09:59 AM

50,684 posts, read 64,854,390 times
I'm a little late getting in on this, but Lipton 90 second rice pouch (one of my guilty pleasures) used to make a lemon rice version which was the perfect thing with fish. Since they must have heard I liked it, it has disappeared. However, now I just flavor plain rice with a little grated lemon peel and a bit of juice and butter.
Also, Rachel Ray, has a lemon pasta recipe that would go well with fish too.

Old 07-17-2008, 10:00 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,438,978 times
When many of you talk about the cooking with red or white wine I am so lost! I need brand names. Even the people in the stores are clueless as to which white or red wine to use for cooking. I don't know a dry from a non-dry! Brand names sure would make it easier--please???

Old 07-17-2008, 10:02 AM

259,024 posts, read 91,120,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
When many of you talk about the cooking with red or white wine I am so lost! I need brand names. Even the people in the stores are clueless as to which white or red wine to use for cooking. I don't know a dry from a non-dry! Brand names sure would make it easier--please???
Yes please.... All I know is the cooking sherry

Old 07-17-2008, 10:10 AM

68,427 posts, read 54,871,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
#1 Rule, NEVER cook with wine you wouldn't drink!

After that it depends on what you're trying to do, it's all pretty flexible but you wouldn't use a BIG, booming Zinfandel in a subtle fish dish nor a delicate little white in a hearty beef stew. Given that, experiment to find out what suits YOU, one of the benefits of being the cook It's easy these days to buy the little 'sampler' bottles of a variety of wine so have fun, if it's drinkable wine you won't get too far off base. If the little bottles have no notes look for full size bottles of the same wine, the labels will normally tell you a little about the wine, including sweet/dry, etc.

Old 07-17-2008, 10:19 AM

Sorry Cyn....I use what is in my house unless it is for Marsala (for that I use Pastene Marsala wine).....I think for the white wine I have some Woodbridge in the house.

I am not that fussy and I do use the cheapest or whatever I have. Other people may feel different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink