Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2008, 05:37 PM

48,149 posts, read 22,013,215 times

Advertisements

Tonight will be teri-aki salmon....rice and probably yellow squash because it needs to be used. I bought it and then we went out to eat twice and both times the resturant served yellow squash.

Old 07-15-2008, 06:05 PM

28,227 posts, read 21,856,986 times
Nic-I made dumplings out of Bisquik sometime-bready and so good. Homemade when I make them are more doughy.

Pierogies-Polish raviolis!!! Can have potatoes/onions-so good.

Old 07-15-2008, 06:59 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,419,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
OK. I can't stand it any longer. Let's have it strait. I can take it. Just what is a pirogi? Just what in the tarnation have I been missing all these decades?

In most commercial versions, simple half-moon shaped slavic raviolis filled with potato and possibly cheese, onions, or other variations.

In homemade versions, especially labored over by babushkas, little pillows of soul food that go far beyond their simple ingredient list of flour, eggs, water, and potatoes. My grandmother would mix the dough, knead it, let it rest for 20-30 minutes, and repeat the process a number of times, the result was dough like velvet, my favorites being filled with plain mashed potatoes or sauerkraut and onions. Then you boil them gently 'til they float, drain and put in a bowl with some melted butter to keep from sticking. When cool, brown some chopped onions in butter and saute the pirogi 'til heated and browned a bit, serve with sour cream and a sprinkling of kosher salt.

THAT's Good Eats!

Old 07-15-2008, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
Nic-I made dumplings out of Bisquik sometime-bready and so good. Homemade when I make them are more doughy.

Pierogies-Polish raviolis!!! Can have potatoes/onions-so good.
My mother must've gotten pretty tired hearing her kid request those two things, especially the pirogi, which are really a lot of work to do right. But I would happily clean my plate and ask for more

Old 07-15-2008, 07:04 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,514,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
In most commercial versions, simple half-moon shaped slavic raviolis filled with potato and possibly cheese, onions, or other variations.

In homemade versions, especially labored over by babushkas, little pillows of soul food that go far beyond their simple ingredient list of flour, eggs, water, and potatoes. My grandmother would mix the dough, knead it, let it rest for 20-30 minutes, and repeat the process a number of times, the result was dough like velvet, my favorites being filled with plain mashed potatoes or sauerkraut and onions. Then you boil them gently 'til they float, drain and put in a bowl with some melted butter to keep from sticking. When cool, brown some chopped onions in butter and saute the pirogi 'til heated and browned a bit, serve with sour cream and a sprinkling of kosher salt.

THAT's Good Eats!
I can't rep you again, buddy! That sounds sooo delicious. I've only had the commercial (frozen) version. Those are really good but I'm sure your grandmother's raised the level to sublime!

Old 07-15-2008, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I can't rep you again, buddy! That sounds sooo delicious. I've only had the commercial (frozen) version. Those are really good but I'm sure your grandmother's raised the level to sublime!

There are some pretty decent commercial ones available. I highly recommend the boil, cool, pan fry routine (don't forget the browned onions ). Most reastaurants that serve them will only boil OR deep fry them, I much prefer the way I was taught.

A while back I started a thread in the Recipe section about peasant food. I love peasant food in general and pirogi slide easily into that category. It amazes me to this day what my grandmother could do with basic ingredients and a wood/coal fired stove with no controls other than a good eye and quick hands.

Old 07-15-2008, 07:37 PM

1,969 posts, read 5,959,712 times
Pierogi are awesome! But - you all know me so well - I buy Mrs. T's LOL. You can find them in the freezer section. Here's my description - a half moon shaped ravioli with mashed potato and either cheese or onion in the middle. YUMMMMMMMO

My family is quite sick of mashed potatoes unfortunately - so pierogi is my new fill in. They are especially good with Steak and Gravy.....double YUMMMMMMMMMMO

Old 07-15-2008, 07:57 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,627,821 times
Thanks all for the enlightenment. I feel much better now. I can get a good nights sleep now that I full understand the seriousness of the "Great Pierogi" I'm going shopping to see what I can turn up on the way home tomorrow. Some how I think they would be a real delight along with some steamed cabbage and sliced tomatoes. You've got me convince I can't go on living without them.

Old 07-15-2008, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
Thanks all for the enlightenment. I feel much better now. I can get a good nights sleep now that I full understand the seriousness of the "Great Pierogi" I'm going shopping to see what I can turn up on the way home tomorrow. Some how I think they would be a real delight along with some steamed cabbage and sliced tomatoes. You've got me convince I can't go on living without them.

Well...................you can probably survive without pirogi but I don't know if I'd call it living

The cabbage sounds good, my mother used to do something similar, braising the cabbage with onions and chopped tomatoes, ingredients that seem to travel through so many different cuisines.

I agree with your post in the Peasant Food thread, I much prefer some of these homey, dishes well made than some things I've had in some notably upscale restaurants.

Old 07-16-2008, 03:38 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,389,111 times
DH had a craving for pasta again.

So I made spaghetti.

Browned fresh mushroom slices in a bit of oil till golden . Added some crab meat and prawns left them in the pan to brown slowly for about 6 minutes.
Added milk, cream, sour cream, several herbs and spices. Boiled it till it was a very delicious creamy sauce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.